PDA

View Full Version : Campy Wheelset Suggestions for classic SLX De Rosa

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Greetings everyone. Great to be on the forum.

I'm looking for some advice on getting a wheelset for my De Rosa build. I just bought a really nice chorus 99/2000 group and I'd like to stay consistent and maybe find some Chorus wheels/hubs to go with it.

What is a nice rim to pair with the hubs? I don't know squat about the different types. I'd like to get some black or dark gray anodized ones. Mavic Open Pros, Strada Hardox?

Thanks for you advice/suggestions. :)

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-07-2014, 08:31 AM

I'm looking for some advice on getting a wheelset for my De Rosa build. I just bought a really nice chorus 99/2000 group and I'd like to stay consistent and maybe find some Chorus wheels/hubs to go with it.

What is a nice rim to pair with the hubs? I don't know squat about the different types. I'd like to get some black or dark gray anodized ones. Mavic Open Pros, Strada Hardox?

TB14's (come in silver and ano) to Centaur, Chorus or Record silver hubs, all very similar. Classic wheels for a classic frameset. I'm about to have that exact wheelset built.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2014, 08:32 AM

H+Son TB-14. DT 465 if you can find them. See above!!

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 08:41 AM
H+Son TB-14. DT 465 if you can find them. See above!!

Yeah...those look really nice. Is one better than the other?

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 08:42 AM
TB14's (come in silver and ano) to Centaur, Chorus or Record silver hubs, all very similar. Classic wheels for a classic frameset. I'm about to have that exact wheelset built.

Let me know, if you could, how they turn out.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah...those look really nice. Is one better than the other?

My favorite rims are DT. DT 465/415 replaced by DT 440 so they are out there but not made by DT. DT 440 GREAT rims but not really the classic look. black and silver only also. H+Son also very nice. Not on par with DT, for round/flat out of box but they make for nice wheels.

OpenPro pretty far down on my list. Apologies to those that have heard this from me a zillion times but

Noisy eyelets and wedge used to hold togther when welding seam. Not a huge deal but Mavic has known about this for over a decade and refuses to do anything about it. Do they make for nice wheels, sure but.....Silver and black only. No hard anodized.

Gsinill
12-07-2014, 08:53 AM

^^^^
this

I really like the TB14s. I have mirror polished ones on 2 of my vintage bikes and they will also go on my DeRosa once I am done with refinishing it.
Not sure about the anodized one but the mirror polished version scratches easily in case you build them up yourself.
You really have to be careful inserting the spokes, tightening the nipples etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
GS

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 08:56 AM
My favorite rims are DT. DT 465/415 replaced by DT 440 so they are out there but not made by DT. DT 440 GREAT rims but not really the classic look. black and silver only also. H+Son also very nice. Not on par with DT, for round/flat out of box but they make for nice wheels.

OpenPro pretty far down on my list. Apologies to those that have heard this from me a zillion times but

Noisy eyelets and wedge used to hold togther when welding seam. Not a huge deal but Mavic has known about this for over a decade and refuses to do anything about it. Do they make for nice wheels, sure but.....Silver and black only. No hard anodized.

Yeah...I'm liking those DT 465's a lot. Are they the older DT models?

R3awak3n
12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Another vote for TB14s. They build a beautiful classy wheel and are easy to build (love eyelets).

I built mine, TB14 Hard ano gray to silver record hubs

http://i60.tinypic.com/fm8ut.jpg

thirdgenbird
12-07-2014, 09:02 AM
If I couldn't find silver campy hubs, I would use white industries hubs.

Hard ano tb14s. No question.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Yup...the TB14's are looking real good right now. Now I have to find some Chorus/Record era 9 speed hubs.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Another vote for TB14s. They build a beautiful classy wheel and are easy to build (love eyelets).

http://i60.tinypic.com/fm8ut.jpg

Those wheels are super nice. Nice tires as well. Almost bought those but they were pricey!

mktng
12-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Tb14 comes in black and gold too. Just saying. Check out factory five. I bought a set. Super super nice.

http://wearefactoryfive.com/products/h-son-tb14
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/07/6131730df2f7d212965c5524c07cec3c.jpg

cash05458
12-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Pete...I just don't get your problem with open pros and you know I turn to you for all good things via my rebuilds...but did some french dude at mavic make a pass at your wife during some boulder thing? I say that jokingly Pete...but as a user of open pros and they are my only wheels on my 5 bikes that I ride besides one set of Moscovs...they have just been fantastic...the total cliche bombproof things...the ones on my lemond steel are from 1997...just a simple ultegra hub...I am a semi weighthorse at 170 and have been up to 185 for years and the things just won't go outta true at about doing 10 thousand miles a year ( amongst all my bikes) and the pros are just ····ing boss in my book Pete...

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Tb14 comes in black and gold too. Just saying. Check out factory five. I bought a set. Super super nice.

http://wearefactoryfive.com/products/h-son-tb14
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/07/6131730df2f7d212965c5524c07cec3c.jpg

Oooo...blingy!

buldogge
12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
FWIW…There are still some 32H silver RR465s available at the distributors.

Having said that, I really like the 440s.

-Mark in St. Louis

Steve in SLO
12-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Another vote for TB14's. Here is a close up shot of some vintage/modern goodness:

tv_vt
12-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Why not Ambrosio Excellence rims? Keep it Italian, no?

Check out RT Wheelcraft...

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Why not Ambrosio Excellence rims? Keep it Italian, no?

Check out RT Wheelcraft...

Good suggestion. Thanks! I will have to say, I don't like the fact that the TB14's are built in China. Blah....

FlashUNC
12-07-2014, 01:06 PM
I'll throw out the suggestion just to be different: Hed Belgium C2s.

Great rims. Bombproof. Black rim never hurt anything if you go with silver hubs and spokes. Looks pretty trick if you do alloy everything else I think.

FlashUNC
12-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Another vote for TB14's. Here is a close up shot of some vintage/modern goodness:

How're those working out for you?

mktng
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Oh yea. Belgium's are amazing. However..... It's hard to beat a box section wheel. If you can find a set of mavic ma40....

numbskull
12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Not to hijack, but what about spokes for a classic wheel build. My memory, which is getting softer every day, is that back when I started good wheels were built with Record hubs, Nisi rims, Clement silks, and double butted spokes. Are the latter still used? If not, why?

ahsere
12-07-2014, 03:07 PM

I'm not an expert on wheels, I've had very good experiences with Open Pros but so have I with other rims and there are probably many better options nowadays. That said, they look pretty nice on steel bikes and I have a set of beautiful light blue ones and another set of orange ones. I've had them both for a while and I assumed that Open Pros came in many colors, are they a rarity?
Not to derail the thread, just curious...

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Not to hijack, but what about spokes for a classic wheel build. My memory, which is getting softer every day, is that back when I started good wheels were built with Record hubs, Nisi rims, Clement silks, and double butted spokes. Are the latter still used? If not, why?

Still used by me. DB spokes on at least 7 handbuilt wheelsets I have in rotation.

jr59
12-07-2014, 03:15 PM
On most of my bikes I run DT 440s, 1 set of deep Vs and 1 set of open pros.

But on a 9 speed Campy DeRosa I might look for a set of Shmals (sp).
Something like this;
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/241881/

LiveFreeOrDie
12-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Something like this;

Not my bag. A tad bit too much bling for my taste. I'm sure the wheels perform great though! ;)

ultraman6970
12-07-2014, 09:26 PM
What about a set of campagnolo atlanta clinchers??? A forum member was like diggin the idea of moving them out his house. The wheels are flawless tho, seen them in person.

ceolwulf
12-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Something like this;

I really want a set of those for my Merckx.

Steve in SLO
12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
How're those working out for you?

Great, thank you.
It' a happy combination of shiny and wide rim on my Merckx.
I really like looking down at them when I ride.

lhuerta
12-08-2014, 12:51 AM
If u r looking for tubulars a I have a near new set of Record silver hubs from 2006-ish (perhaps the most sought after Campagnolo hubs after high flange C-record Hubs) laced to Mavic Reflex silver rims, DT spokes, 32 holes....pm for pics. Lou

oldpotatoe
12-08-2014, 05:47 AM
I'm not an expert on wheels, I've had very good experiences with Open Pros but so have I with other rims and there are probably many better options nowadays. That said, they look pretty nice on steel bikes and I have a set of beautiful light blue ones and another set of orange ones. I've had them both for a while and I assumed that Open Pros came in many colors, are they a rarity?
Not to derail the thread, just curious...

Blue, black, hard ano, silver..now just black and silver, OpenPro. You have 'OpenPro' or Open SUP, Reflex?

OpenPro makes a fine wheel..just the issues that Mavic refuses to address, a philosophical difference..and they are french, but that's a topic of another thread.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Good suggestion. Thanks! I will have to say, I don't like the fact that the TB14's are built in China. Blah....

So are HED(pretty sure). DT 465, would be my first choice, 415 second altho pretty light rim. Made in Switzerland.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-08-2014, 08:41 AM
So are HED(pretty sure). DT 465, would be my first choice, 415 second altho pretty light rim. Made in Switzerland.

DT 465 come in all silver?

buldogge
12-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Dark silver, not polished…

-Mark

DT 465 come in all silver?

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Dark silver, not polished…

-Mark

Ooo, those would look so cool with some grey Centaur hubs. Or the Ultegra grey hubs.

ik2280
12-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Ooo, those would look so cool with some grey Centaur hubs. Or the Ultegra grey hubs.

+1. I might have to do one of those two...

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-08-2014, 09:24 AM

You know who to call/msg, brother.

buldogge
12-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Grab them before they are gone…only 4 left at the only distributor place I've seen them (I'm sure there are others out there)!

-Mark

You know who to call/msg, brother.

Look585
12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
The H+Son is a nicer looking rim than the DT. The finish on the DT is painted and mine are bubbling at the eyelets. The polished TB14s are very pretty and cheaper to boot.

That said, the DTs have been very stout and I can't complain about longevity.

chwupper
12-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Do any of these classic style rims come in silver AND tubular, or does such a thing only exist as NOS anymore?

LiveFreeOrDie
12-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone. Pretty much narrowed it down to the following. Either Centaur/Chorus hubs with the TB14's or some Zonda's. Thing about the Zonda's is the "classic" look disappears. Great wheel it looks though.

Now the search for the hubs begins. Already have some candidates but let me know if you have anything in the vault.

Thanks guys! :)

Tony T
12-10-2014, 06:49 PM

How did you take that pic?
Did you have it rolling to someone ready to catch it?

choke
12-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone. Pretty much narrowed it down to the following. Either Centaur/Chorus hubs with the TB14's or some Zonda's. Thing about the Zonda's is the "classic" look disappears. Great wheel it looks though.If you're going to consider Zondas then you should take a look at Campy Neutrons as well - they're pretty much bulletproof and used ones can be found for a reasonable price.

R3awak3n
12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
How did you take that pic?
Did you have it rolling to someone ready to catch it?

good ole photoshop.

acorn_user
12-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Do any of these classic style rims come in silver AND tubular, or does such a thing only exist as NOS anymore?

They do, but they are hard to come by. Ambrosio still makes the Montreal rim, but it's a hard ano silver. You can also sometimes find the Araya 16b because Keirin riders use them.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
So after a searching for some 9 speed Chorus/Record hubs for the last week or so, I'm throwing the idea around to get some NOS Chorus/Record hubs OR another minty fresh alternative. I really want to stick with a polished silver hub. White Industries perhaps?

The rims I've decided to go with are the black H + Son TB14's with Chorus hubs OR some White Industries. Tad bit more research to do.

What would you go with? NOS Chorus or White Industries? Hard decision for me. :rolleyes:

thirdgenbird
12-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I would go chorus if I could find them for a reasonable price but wouldn't hesitate to go white industries if I wasn't happy with the used Campagnolo market.

I would also go with the hard ano. Polished white industries hubs, silvers spokes and hard ano tb14. Yummy.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-17-2014, 07:34 PM
I would go chorus if I could find them for a reasonable price but wouldn't hesitate to go white industries if I wasn't happy with the used Campagnolo market.

I would also go with the hard ano. Polished white industries hubs, silvers spokes and hard ano tb14. Yummy.

I hear ya. Something to be said about freshness. Love the fact that I can get new hubs. The NOS Chorus are running $400 - $500. WI are $500. Mmmmmm. Decisions to be made.

Ken Robb
12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I have many components that I got for a custom bike that was never built. Among them is a set of 32 hole silver Chorus hubs on black Open Pros. They have very few miles and look pretty much like new. I know shipping has gotten tricky/expensive but if I can net $375 I would sell them. Heck, I'll even include the skewers, which are valued like jewelry these days.

OOPS!----I lied! The hubs are Record.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Wanted to let everyone know that I found some really nice Record hubs that were local. The hubs were originally on Ebay with a "Buy Now" price that was too high for my taste. After a little bit of negotiation, got them at a very fair price.

I'll be getting some black H + Son TB14 rims with silver Sapim Race spokes and nipples.

Thanks again for all your suggestions/advice/offers. :beer:

mktng
12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Why no Hi Polish tb14? :)

LiveFreeOrDie
12-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Why no Hi Polish tb14? :)

Tad too blingy for my taste. The rest of the bike is going to be black so I'm thinking the black rims would look sharp. Saddle, tape, cables, etc are going to be black. Not going the white route. The De Rosa would look good in white no doubt but after time, not so much.

thirdgenbird
12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
High polish rims scratch very easily and rims see a lot of handling and debris.

numbskull
12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Pull the hubs apart and check 'em. My experience is that many of these used record hubs have pitted races and/or missing washers. The races can be replaced but it is a project to get them out and replacements are hard (or very costly) to find.

LiveFreeOrDie
12-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Pull the hubs apart and check 'em. My experience is that many of these used record hubs have pitted races and/or missing washers. The races can be replaced but it is a project to get them out and replacements are hard (or very costly) to find.

The hubs I got are 2004 - 2006ish I'm guessing. Definitely going to open em up, clean and re-lube.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2014, 06:02 AM
So after a searching for some 9 speed Chorus/Record hubs for the last week or so, I'm throwing the idea around to get some NOS Chorus/Record hubs OR another minty fresh alternative. I really want to stick with a polished silver hub. White Industries perhaps?

The rims I've decided to go with are the black H + Son TB14's with Chorus hubs OR some White Industries. Tad bit more research to do.

What would you go with? NOS Chorus or White Industries? Hard decision for me. :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261703999627?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Needn't be NOS, these look once built. Campagnolo hubs are hard to beat, just getting rare, silver ones. WhiteI are nice. Don't care for the bearing adjust 'method', but nice hubs.