PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 500 lost files

kgreene10
12-06-2014, 05:02 PM
For a series of reasons, I became incredibly lazy about uploading my Garmin 500 activities and instead left them on the head unit for the past five months.

Or so I thought! When I finally got around to dealing with them, all but the last six ride files were gone. I'm floored.

Does anyone know why this might have happened, how to stop it from happening again, and if the old files might be hiding somewhere on the device?

old fat man
12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
For a series of reasons, I became incredibly lazy about uploading my Garmin 500 activities and instead left them on the head unit for the past five months.

Or so I thought! When I finally got around to dealing with them, all but the last six ride files were gone. I'm floored.

Does anyone know why this might have happened, how to stop it from happening again, and if the old files might be hiding somewhere on the device?

The files get overwritten due to space. I had that problem with my 305. Learned my lesson. I would think you could store mores than 6 rides though.

shovelhd
12-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Clean them out every 60 days max. Things get flaky if you don't.

kgreene10
12-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Is there a setting to stop files from over-writing? I'm sure that I've had massive numbers of files stored before without a problem (except that start up slows considerably). But in this instance, all but the last six workouts disappeared. That sounds like a setting or a glitch to me.

shovelhd
12-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Garmin software is one big glitch. You are playing with fire. Clean up the device regularly.

PaMtbRider
12-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think there is any way to keep files from overwriting. You only have so much internal storage. Once it is used up it starts overwriting older files. I had to do a hard reset on my Garmin 800 about a month ago because it locked up. I lost all rides saved before that date. It sounds like you had a similar experience.

onekgguy
12-07-2014, 01:01 PM
My Edge 705 will tell me when I'm running low on memory and need to delete files. I typically upload my data at the end of each ride.

Kevin g

carlineng
12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Flash drive like the storage on the Garmin Edge 500 are susceptible to data corruption after a certain number of write cycles, so if you've deleted and re-filled the storage on your unit many times, you will eventually end up with bad data files. Unfortunately they don't have removable storage, so you're stuck either contacting Garmin support, or buying a new unit :bike:

http://www.datarecovery.net/newsletters/what-kills-flash-drive.html

kgreene10
12-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Flash drive like the storage on the Garmin Edge 500 are susceptible to data corruption after a certain number of write cycles, so if you've deleted and re-filled the storage on your unit many times, you will eventually end up with bad data files. Unfortunately they don't have removable storage, so you're stuck either contacting Garmin support, or buying a new unit :bike:

http://www.datarecovery.net/newsletters/what-kills-flash-drive.html

Fascinating. I had no idea that could happen. I wonder if 5 years of rides 5x a week could be enough to cause this problem on the Garmin 500.

fiataccompli
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Interesting...I had my 510 glitch in the last 4 miles of a 75 mile ride today. Locked up the ant+ data displays and I thought that meant something is up...and won't upload (some file error...may be able to fix it manually). I upload data via Bluetooth rather automatically after rides but I don't delete the ride data. I'd bet the problem I had was due to storage space issues. Rather frustrating that their firmware is always a bit glitchy at best (I say that after nearly 6 years of 705 ownership and a year of 510)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonW87
03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I have an issue where I have a ride/activity that appears in the "history" on the edge 500 unit itself but when I try to upload that activity (using "browse files") and import it into training peaks, etc., that activity does not appear in the list of files being browsed on my computer (unlike other rides/activities, which are all there). I've tried accessing the activity through training peaks, garmin connect and strava and it is the same story for each.

Any thoughts as to a possible solution?

Many thanks,

Ron

kgreene10
03-11-2015, 02:47 AM
I have found Garmin tel support to be quite good.

IJWS
03-11-2015, 04:25 PM
you at least have the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS87mPfD_yI