PDA

View Full Version : Silly question: disc brake wheels on non disc bikes?

Monthly Payment
12-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Might seem intuitive to some but are disc wheel sets like the zipp wheel sets that are disc compatible, where it's the same rim as the non disc model, ok to use on non disc bikes? Any spacing issues to be concerned about? Looking to buy new race wheels and thinking of getting disc to be future proof even though I don't see myself getting away from rim brake soon.

kramnnim
12-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Disc rear wheels are normally 135mm vs the normal 130mm. Not sure if there is any risk of the disc mounts rubbing the frame?

David Kirk
12-06-2014, 11:47 AM
As long as the spacing is right you should be good to go. There is almost zero chance of the disc platform on the hub being anywhere near any part of the frame or fork.

dave

thunderworks
12-06-2014, 11:52 AM
I thought I read somewhere that rims on disc wheels had slightly different, lighter hoops since they didn't need as much structure sans a braking track for calipers. . .

pcxmbfj
12-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I thought I read somewhere that rims on disc wheels had slightly different, lighter hoops since they didn't need as much structure sans a braking track for calipers. . .
That is correct.
Lots of earlier disc wheels were built with clincher rims and could be use with disc or rim brakes.
A rim designed for disc brakes should not be used with rim brakes and I've seen them with warning labels to that effect.

Monthly Payment
12-06-2014, 12:54 PM
The Zipps 202/303 are the same rim for disc or rim brake models. Others may be too but this was more a half baked idea than anything.

But I forgot about the 135mm spacing. Good point. All my bikes are 130mm now. Back to the drawing board. I wasn't ready to give up on rim brakes that easily anyway.

Thanks!

tigoat
12-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Don't know about Zipp disc wheels, but ENVE and Reynolds disc specific wheels are not compatible with rim brakes. Although some of these rims still have a rim brake track but they can't be used with rim brakes. Also, these disc wheels have mountain bike style hubs with a disc mount and with a 135mm rear hub spacing, so at least the rear wheel will not fit your road bike rear end correctly.

kramnnim
12-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Some hubs may have swappable end caps that can be used to convert the hubs to 130mm... I assume it would affect the dish, though?