PDA

View Full Version : F3 Fork/carbon stay - brake mounting bolt problem

Twilight228
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi all

I'm building up my "new to me" ottrott, and of all things am having trouble mounting the brakes. I've done a bit of reading, and it appears the bolts required to do the F3 fork and carbon seatstay are proprietary, and slightly smaller in diameter than the standard. Is there a source for the proper bolts?

There was a link in an old post to a source, but the link is dead.

Thanks

Jay

dave thompson
12-06-2014, 09:43 AM
They use the Reynolds Ti brake nuts. Most good LBS should have some in stock or floating around. Not too hard to find.

Alternatively you can use standard brake nuts of the correct length that have been turned or sanded to the correct diameter. The Reynolds nuts are only marginally smaller than standard.

Ken Robb
12-06-2014, 10:04 AM
I wonder how many times people have reamed the holes to fit rather than finding the proper nuts? I am not advocating this, mind you.

sokyroadie
12-06-2014, 10:09 AM
This is the one:

http://reynoldscycling.com/shop/index.php?p_resource=items_accessories_item&p_itm_pk=45

Jeff

Twilight228
12-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. I hit up the LBS, and he didn't have anything.

I'll try turning the two I have down. I would think a m6 bolt, and some emory paper should make quick work of it.

I will admit, I initially started to chase the hole with a 5/16" drill bit by hand, but the first spire of clear coat that came off was alarmingly large, and clearly paint not debris.

Thanks for the reynolds link, I'll order a couple if turning the bolts I have down doesn't work. Heck, I'll probably order them just to have the proper bolt....not that it matters.

Thanks again.

dave thompson
12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
What you need is properly called a "brake nut". The bolt is what it threads onto. You'll need to know the length you need as they come in a variety of lengths.

It doesn't take much to reduce the diameter of your existing nuts. Put them on a 5MM Allen key chucked to a drill and check for proper fitting in your fork every few minutes. They should be a barely snug fit, relatively easy in and out, not too loose.

ultraman6970
12-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Isn't easier just to dremel the nut??? and make the nut diameter smaller so it fits?

I wonder how many times people have reamed the holes to fit rather than finding the proper nuts? I am not advocating this, mind you.

Ken Robb
12-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Isn't easier just to dremel the nut??? and make the nut diameter smaller so it fits?

I was just thinking I'm probably not the only person who didn't know that these popular forks required nuts other than those that came with their brakes. Almost every tool box had a drill or round file while dremel-like tools are less common. In my ignorance I probably would have guessed a slightly under-sized hole rather than the need for an under-sized nut.

I was protected from making a mistake because my Ouzo Pro came installed on my Litespeed so it had the correct nut which may have been reused when I replaced it with an Ouzo Comp. My LBS did the swap when I bought the Comp so I don't know if they used the old nut or a new one that probably came with the new fork. I'd guess that Reynolds must have supplied the required nuts with their forks wouldn't they?

dave thompson
12-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I was just thinking I'm probably not the only person who didn't know that these popular forks required nuts other than those that came with their brakes. Almost every tool box had a drill or round file while dremel-like tools are less common. In my ignorance I probably would have guessed a slightly under-sized hole rather than the need for an under-sized nut.

I was protected from making a mistake because my Ouzo Pro came installed on my Litespeed so it had the correct nut which may have been reused when I replaced it with an Ouzo Comp. My LBS did the swap when I bought the Comp so I don't know if they used the old nut or a new one that probably came with the new fork. I'd guess that Reynolds must have supplied the required nuts with their forks wouldn't they?

Reynolds and Serotta supplied the correct brake nuts for their new products. Often those get held when resold. I've purchased more than a couple of used Serottas with none of the nuts supplied to me.

hockeybike
12-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the responses. I hit up the LBS, and he didn't have anything.

I'll try turning the two I have down. I would think a m6 bolt, and some emory paper should make quick work of it.

I will admit, I initially started to chase the hole with a 5/16" drill bit by hand, but the first spire of clear coat that came off was alarmingly large, and clearly paint not debris.

Thanks for the reynolds link, I'll order a couple if turning the bolts I have down doesn't work. Heck, I'll probably order them just to have the proper bolt....not that it matters.

Thanks again.

Turning the bolts will work. I did the same a while ago when I received an F3 fork without the proper bolt. I fixed the brake bolt onto a drill, wrapped the bolt with some sand paper and turned the bolt until I removed enough metal to have it fit in the broke bolt hole. One note: finish turning the bolt with a finer grit sandpaper than you start with.

Good luck!

bjf
12-06-2014, 04:24 PM
I had the same problem on a Columbus fork that came on a Fierte steel. My LBS tried all the bolts they had, finally came up with one slightly smaller in diameter than the others, sanded it down a bit, and got it to work. But I'm glad to know about the Reynolds bolts.

Twilight228
12-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Done. A little bit more effort than expected, but not bad....25 minute project. Wound up placing a fine file in the vice, and using a drill to "slowly" spin the bolts up and down. Finished them off with 1000 grit....significantly more smooth than factory.

Thanks again everyone.

maverick_1
12-06-2014, 10:50 PM
had a similar problem while building up the Meivici SG a year ago, Melissa of Saratoga Frameworks shipped me the correct bolt, all the way to Tokyo, Japan. How I wish the team was still around :(