PDA

View Full Version : Where to mountain climb?

jischr
12-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I’m looking to do a well supported ride in the Colorado Rockies or Tennessee/Carolina Smokies, preferably in July/August. Local classic or charity rides, 1-2 days duration, 50-100 miles per day are good. What can you recommend?

mgm777
12-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Admittedly, I am biased, because I live here. The Colorado Rockies, in July - Aug, are perfect if you like to climb. The weather at that time of year, especially late August, is stunning. Clear skies and fewer thunderstorms. There are lots of available route and ride options:
Charity Rides
-Triple Bypass
-Copper Triangle
-Tour de Cure Colorado

Touring Rides
-Ride the Rockies (June)
-Bicycle Tour of Colorado (June)

Popular Routes
-Vail Pass
-Copper Mtn to Vail Pass
-Independence Pass(from Aspen and then from Leadville)
-Mt. Evans(ride up a 14er)
-Frisco around Lake Dillon to Keystone and back via Swan Mtn Rd and Breck

+ many, many other routes.

likebikes
12-06-2014, 12:55 AM
consider the weather also! southern appalachians in july/august would likely be brutally hot&humid during this time.

colorado rockies should be cool at night and perfect during the day, with low humidity. don't underestimate the sun- it is no joke in colorado- be prepared.

kramnnim
12-06-2014, 08:00 AM
NC mountains can be quite nice in the summer, but there are a lot of afternoon thunderstorms... Blue Ridge Brutal, Blood Sweat & Gears...

josephr
12-06-2014, 08:30 AM
the skyway is on my ride list for 2015!

http://www.smwbikeclub.org/cherohala-challenge/

rnhood
12-06-2014, 09:23 AM
The Cherohala Challenge is a great ride and route, one of the best imho, but its in June, not July or Aug. Its really not safe to ride this route by oneself (tail of the dragon issues).

For July and Aug, there is the Hot Doggett out of Mars Hill, Roan Moan out of Bakersville, Blue Ridge Breakaway out of Waynesville, and the two mentioned by Kramnnim above. The century routes on these will have 10k'+ of climbing. The Fabulous Fourth out of Tryon is another nice ride but only a metric option and not much climbing.