PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Brooks saddle and Stayed/Did Not Stay

dekindy
12-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Have been considering trying a Brooks forever and a saddle in the classifieds looks attractive. Saw a poll years ago that indicated 90% of the folks that tried bibs never went back to shorts. Quite a revelation and prompted me to switch to bibs and I have never looked back.

So how many folks switched to Brooks and stayed? What model Brooks did you settle on and what other non-Brooks saddles did you like before you switched?

If you did not like Brooks, what saddles do you ride?

I have ridden the Scratch Pro and Aliante with success so ideally if I found other folks that rode these and tried Brooks and stayed I would probably try a Brooks myself.

cp43
12-04-2014, 05:41 PM
I tried a B-17, I didn't like it. I bought it because it was wide, and I like/need a wide saddle. The problem was that even though it was really wide at the very back, it wasn't wide enough where I actually sat on it. So, to get to the wide enough part, I had to sit on the metal rail at the back, not a great option.

Non Brooks saddles I like include the Specialized Avatar, in 155mm width, and in 143mm width, depending on the saddle to bars drop on the bike. In general, I like a saddle that's flat, wide, and has a cutout.

Chris

merckx
12-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Tried a C17 and bought two more. Good Stuff!

eddief
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
for quite sometime. But eventually began to experiment to find something lighter and waterproof. Ended up on, of all things, WTB Pure V. Not sure how I got there, but that saddle just works with my parts. And just this past week a friend let me try a Brooks Cambium. What an interesting non-animal that is. How'd they come up with rubber impregnated with cotton? Anyway, the shape was just about right for the parts, but that thing was hard, had some give, but me thinks you break in and it doesn't. No harm in trying a Brooks. And you gotta be patient not only with break in, but with tilt, and getting your bonses in the right place. Travel with a wrench and play until you either say ahhhhh, or phcuk it! Some people swear by Brooks and some swear at them.

jtakeda
12-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I've tried and B-17 and a Team Pro.

I liked both, nice saddles. Wasn't absolutely in love with them. In the end I sold all my brooks stuff because it's just too much of a theft magnet.

Flite saddles are just as comfortable (maybe more comfortable?) although it's been about 4 years since I've ridden a brooks so I can't give a positive statement on which I like more now.

sw3759
12-04-2014, 05:57 PM
not sure how to vote.
tried several leather brooks and never could warm up to them but tried the cambium and loved it from first ride.
the only leather saddle i ride now is the arione.and the new arione r3 is an improvement of the original,IMO.

R3awak3n
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I have a c17 and its awesome, definitely a keeper.

Also have a leather brooks on a bike and its comfortable but its super old and i never been on a ride over 10 miles with it since its on the city bike.

Cicli
12-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Used to like them. Tried to get back on one. Just can't. I have been thru a Swift and I am currently on a Swallow. I end up not liking them. I am happy on my Flite. Looks like I am sticking to the Flite.

brockd15
12-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I've tried a regular B17, Pro, and Swallow and wasn't a fan. The B17N is better for me and the jury is still out on the Swift. Otherwise, the Adamo Road and Race versions are my go-to saddles without a close second. I keep hoping something will work as well because of the looks of the Adamo, but no luck so far.

rustychisel
12-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Brooks Professional, circa 1979 ~ 1992. Hard, slippery as f**k. Bike stolen. The world has moved on.

Louis
12-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I tried a Swift a few years ago. It was surprisingly comfortable. I just don't ride that particular bike much. (I normally ride a Regal.)

I think they're worth trying - if it doesn't work out, you can always sell it.

PaMtbRider
12-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Brooks Professional, circa 1979 ~ 1992. Hard, slippery as f**k. Bike stolen. The world has moved on.

This. Had a Brooks Professional in the 80's. Tried to love it for a few years. My ass is much happier on a modern saddle. Been riding Specialized Romin for a few years now and am really happy.

guido
12-04-2014, 08:02 PM
I have tried the B17 and Swallow and never got comfortable. I'm much happier on the Cobb OTF Randee and have been pretty happy so far breaking in a Rivet Independence...

pbarry
12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Only ride one, on a '73 Cinelli, and it came to me on that bike. Never give it a thought when riding, and only adjusted it twice since purchasing in '88. 12k+ miles plus on that rig.

I have several other bikes with different saddles. Toughest thing with a Brooks is getting the fore and aft right with the rail length. Do not use a new B saddle with no miles on yer bottom/after a winter hiatus from riding.

zmudshark
12-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I have tried Brooks from the early 80's to the early aughts. New, used, fresh, broken in. Not to my liking.

Everyone has a different ass, and mine does not like Brooks. Some of my BFF's love them.

Ride what you like. The saddle is the last thing I want to think about when I get off the bike. If I'm aware of it, it's wrong for me. May not apply to you.

buck-50
12-04-2014, 09:49 PM
B-17 is a great saddle. I loved mine and at one point had one on each of my bikes, up until the constant low-grade worry of it getting rained on made me get rid of it. Also, discovered that the San Marco Regal fit me better...

Ken Robb
12-04-2014, 10:03 PM
B-17 is a great saddle. I loved mine and at one point had one on each of my bikes, up until the constant low-grade worry of it getting rained on made me get rid of it. Also, discovered that the San Marco Regal fit me better...

Brooks sells waterproof covers if this worries you. They have been selling lots of Brooks in their country of origin where, I think, it rains a bit. Living in SoCal I don't have much experience riding in rain but I have a cover just in case. :)

notoriousdjw
12-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Have been considering trying a Brooks forever and a saddle in the classifieds looks attractive. Saw a poll years ago that indicated 90% of the folks that tried bibs never went back to shorts. Quite a revelation and prompted me to switch to bibs and I have never looked back.

So how many folks switched to Brooks and stayed? What model Brooks did you settle on and what other non-Brooks saddles did you like before you switched?

I have ridden the Scratch Pro and Aliante with success so ideally if I found other folks that rode these and tried Brooks and stayed I would probably try a Brooks myself.

The B17 was the first saddle I tried that was actually comfortable and enjoyed several DC-to-Pittsburgh trips on them. They are slippery and therefore sensitive to saddle tilt so you need a seatpost capable of micro adjustment. I used Thomson and found that even 1/4 turn on the adjuster screws was noticable. I also laced the B17 to keep them as firm as possible.

Since moving to Seattle I've been racing more and found the B17 to be a little squishy and wide during maximum efforts. The leather is also a drag in the damp weather requiring a cover much of the time. My race bike came spec'd with a Prologo Kappa which is surprisingly good for up to 3 hrs and I also bought a Cambium C17 which splits the difference between the leather brooks and the Kappa. I'm leaning toward replacing my B17s with C17s or possibly even C15s going forward (will try first). I just need to get in a good 6-8hr ride before deciding.

christian
12-04-2014, 10:45 PM
B17: Tried, liked, have a couple.
B17N: Tried, liked, had one, but maybe I sold it to Raygunner.
Team Pro: Tried, did not like, sold.

But mostly:
Regals: I love you, my little monarchs.

OtayBW
12-04-2014, 11:04 PM
I have tried Brooks from the early 80's to the early aughts. New, used, fresh, broken in. Not to my liking.

Everyone has a different ass, and mine does not like Brooks. Some of my BFF's love them.

Ride what you like. The saddle is the last thing I want to think about when I get off the bike. If I'm aware of it, it's wrong for me. May not apply to you.
Yep.

I've owned Team Pros twice and sold them (couldn't break them in no matter how many miles I put on them).
I do have a B17 Sprinter - modeled after a 1926 racing saddle. Narrowest saddle they make and fits me OK, still extremely hard with negligible signs of break-in after a few thousand miles, but it's ride-able. Weighs 1 lb, so who needs that.

It will take a Tsunami to get me off of my Selle SLR kit carbonio pros at this point....

Mister Donut
12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I like the C17, but for leather I'm enjoy the Selle Anatomica.

Louis
12-04-2014, 11:21 PM
But mostly:
Regals: I love you, my little monarchs.

A few years ago I did a group ride of about 7 guys. As I recall, every single bike on that ride had a Regal. It was actually pretty funny.

d_douglas
12-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Yeah, there is no accounting for what your ass likes, but I tried a Cambium recently and decided that my old SSM Regal was more comfortable. Well, it was then that I realized that Regals are the most comfortable saddle that I have ever used, even though I have Aliantes on all my 'nice' bikes.

That said, Cambiums aren't typical Brooks, so this may not be great help. I thought it was comfortable, but not amazing.

Moral: buy a Regal and be done with it - they're magical!

Bradford
12-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I had two Pros, one on my touring bike and one on my tandem, and loved both of them. Then one day, I got caught in a downpour and the brooks got saggy. I had an Aliante on my Legend and like it just as much as the Brooks.

So, I got to thinking. The Aliante is lighter, won't get ruined in the rain, and feels just as good. The longer rails give me more adjustability also. Some advantages, no disadvantages. Now I have one on all three of my road bikes.

Ken Robb
12-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Regal did not suit me--Arione does as well as Brooks B-17 and Team Pro. Oh yeah- WTB "mtn" bike saddles too. I forget the model but one came on my Marin Rift Zone and I bought another for my stable.

Duende
12-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Tried a brooks. Just took too much attention and patience to break in. Plus they weigh a ton. If I was just riding flats and looking for a cool retro commuter then maybe I'd stick with it.

Love me my scratch pro though! That's a no nonsense lightweight saddle for sure!

m_sasso
12-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Rode a Professional for many years on a 70's Paramount.
Recently tried a Swift, no go, spent to much time sitting on the rivets and rear frame.

Currently ride a Regale and Regal
Want to give a Professional a try again.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2014, 05:54 AM

Tried Brooks 3 times. Tried cuz they are cool looking.

Brooks Ti Swallow, one of the first 500 made, numbered. Onto a Red Waterford..tried and tried..no soap. Sold it like 15 minutes.

B-17 on a Ciocc that was fixie at the time. Could not get tilt right, slid around, no fun..yes, tried a long time. Sold quickly.

Meantime, got hit, broke back. 6-7 years later, all well, riding again. SSM Rolls. Back didn't hurt any longer. Merckx, Swift, put it in exactly the same place as the Rolls..rode, back hurt. Same place(QL) that back hurt early after getting hit..rode 3-4 times, hurt..put Rolls back on, no back hurt(?)...

So 3 strikes and you are out(Brooks). Nice thing is they are really easy to sell used.

Seems like no middle ground with Brooks..sold them for a long time. Love or hate(sell)..

Now because of a saddle sore/dead lump of fat, 'downthere', SMP Glider..looks like crap(get it!!), but comfy.

unterhausen
12-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Tried Brooks 3 times. Tried cuz they are cool looking.

I thought I might be the only one that ever tried a Brooks because of this. I had a friend that had a well-broken-in Pro with the flattened rivets. I loved the looks of that thing. I bought one and rode it long enough for it to develop a ridge down the middle that gives me a wedgie. I keep thinking I'll ride it some more, but it weighs so much that I just can't do it.

texbike
12-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I've tried a couple of Brooks and just haven't warmed to them. The Arione is a better fit for my rear end and is on all of my roadies except for the vintage stuff where it just wouldn't look right.

Texbike

sandyrs
12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I really love my Brooks team pro, but right now it's sitting in my parts bin because my bike collection is as follows:

1) Travel bike: Seat angle is too steep to get the right setback with a Brooks saddle. Also, takes up more space in a travel case than my Antares. At 6'5" I ride huge bikes so every bit of space in that case counts.

2) Cyclocross bike: I race and ride this bike in varying conditions, and having ridden my Brooks once in the rain, I don't relish ever getting it wet again.

3) Winter/rain/whenever I want fenders road bike: No Brooks here for the same reason as above.

4) Road racing bike: Too heavy for this application.

If I had a bike that I could afford to add a pound+ to and never ride in the rain, I would slap it back on there in a second. I found it very comfortable with bibs, and immensely more comfortable than my other saddles (a mix of Aliantes and Antares) when riding in street clothes.

Vinci
12-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I have a B17 narrow imperial on my commuter, and it is by far the most comfortable saddle that I've ever ridden.

The only problem I have with it is that it is not friendly to an aggressive position. If I have a really windy day and get low to stay out of the wind, my lower back will hurt by the time I get home. In fairness, though, that saddle isn't meant to be used with much (or any) saddle-to-bar drop.

I also have a Swift that I got for one of my other bikes, since it WAS intended for a more aggressive position. I was never able to get comfortable on it. I put a few months on it, and it went up on the peg board with the other failed saddles.

dawgie
12-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Your poll choices don't reflect my situation, but here's my story. Over the years I tried a number of saddles that didn't fit, including a Brooks Swift. Finally tried a B17 and it fit great, so I put them on two bikes.

In a trade, I ended up with a Fizik Vitesse, which I normally wouldn't have tried because it's marketed here as a woman's saddle. It fit me perfect, even better than the B17. For some reason, Vitesses are very easy to buy on eBay for cheap prices, perhaps because they are take-offs from new women's specific bikes. So I ended up putting Fizik Vitesses on all of my bikes, for a fraction of the cost of a new B17. Another bonus is that a Vitesse weighs less than half as much as a B17.

BTW, the Vitesse is identical to a Fizik Alliante in shape and dimensions except it is about 1 cm wider. The ti version weighs about 250 g.

ultratoad
12-05-2014, 11:02 AM
I was curious about Brooks (all the chatter), so I decided to try one years ago. I tried the Swallow because, well, I liked the looks. After one ride I took it off and threw it in a drawer! Later, I did some reading on this site and learned the ins and outs (how to properly break a Brooks in). Now, I have various models of Brooks saddles on all of my bikes, even the mountain ones. Try one, put in the time and effort, I think you will be glad you did....

makoti
12-05-2014, 11:13 AM
I tried. I loved. I stayed until I became weight obsessed. They take a small bit of time, but very nice if you don't care about the weight.
So, it was me, not you, Brooks.

RGW
12-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Have a B17 - like it alot

Also, Team Pro - not as comfortable as the B17; but I tolerate it. shouldprobably trade for a B17

Just bought a Selle Anatomica - very comfy out of the box, althoug still too early to tell

classtimesailer
12-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Brooks sells waterproof covers if this worries you. They have been selling lots of Brooks in their country of origin where, I think, it rains a bit. Living in SoCal I don't have much experience riding in rain but I have a cover just in case. :)

The waterproof cover protects the top somewhat but the spray from the rear tire will soak your brooks and make it soggy. Most guys riding on Brooks in wet climates (England?) use fenders which protect your backside, your drivetrain, and your saddle.

My Team Pro got soaked twice and it is still fine with the tensioner extended about 1/3. It is on my commuter now and when it might rain, and I don't have the fenders installed, I swap the Brooks for my Concor.

moose8
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
I've loved my b-17. I've never bothered with the rain cover and it's gotten very wet on many occasions - the metal parts are getting a little discolored but other than that it's fine. I've treated it occasionally - I've also never even touched the tension nut.

eippo1
12-05-2014, 01:12 PM
i found I have too much drop for any Brooks. No matter what I tried, too much pressure and discomfort. Much happier on narrow saddles with a cutout like the Arione or the Selle SLK.

SpokeValley
12-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I SO wanted to like Brooks. Tried a Team Pro in the 70's, couldn't break it in.

Got a Pro Copper about 3 years ago that looked bitchin' on my bike. Was heavy and slippery and I found myself pushing back onto the rivets all the time. Had to sell it.

Like OP said, though, easy to sell used.

vqdriver
12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
i tried a swallow and it was unremarkable on the first few shake down rides. nothing objectionable but really nothing special that warranted the extra weight either. but in the interest of giving it a fair shot, i kept it on the bike.

where it really shines for me is on long days. where i can feel the shell thru the padding after a couple hours on other saddles, the brooks disappeared, and i would argue even got better after a few hours. and really i don't even think this is even broken in yet.

muz
12-05-2014, 04:44 PM
I can ride on just about any saddle for 50 miles and it feels fine. I use leather saddles (Brooks, Selle Anatomica, Rivet) for long rides. Recently I tried switching back to a Flite for a double century, my sit bones were complaining by mile 150!

Llewellyn
12-05-2014, 08:07 PM
I tried to like a Team Pro for about 2,000km but eventually gave up. I have a couple of Aliantes and love them

Stephen2014
12-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Brooks Vitesse 100 is one I like, no padding. I have tried a 200 & 300 but the padding just squashed soft tissue. Also got a B17 and B32. My top choice for a new one would be B17N.

Louis
12-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Random comment:

The Swift I currently have on my DeRosa feels like a rock when you rap it with your knuckles. When I first got it I thought "How in the world am I going to be able to sit on this?" And yet, when I ride it, it doesn't feel "hard" at all. Go figure.

(caveat: I don't have any really long rides on it)

dekindy
12-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks to all the poll participants and great comments!:)

benjamine74
12-06-2014, 02:04 AM
Sorry to chime in late, after the fact, I was out riding...

My good (Sunday) bike has a brooks swallow, it's 7 years old and super comfortable on my longer rides, about 80 to 100km. From memory was comfortable out of the box, no break in required.

My training bike HAD a SMP Evolution, but recently I changed it for another swallow.
As good as the smp is, I can run 10 more psi, with the same or more comfort.

IMO it's the best looking saddle too, especially on a steel bike, and that's important.

As far as wet weather goes, I wouldn't start a wet ride on a leather saddle, the cover only works to a point. I guess the smp will go on as the need arises.

I would like to try a cambium at some point.

Ben.

malcolm
12-06-2014, 08:58 AM
If I'm going to go long 100 miles or more I almost always ride the B17 equipped kirk, also has my widest tires.
For me they are the most comfortable saddle for all day. I've never had to break one in they all have felt good right from the start. As someone mentioned tilt is most important, a touch to little and you slide forward a little too much and too much pressure.

roadie7
12-06-2014, 09:09 AM
I tried two B-17 saddles over the years; both on road bikes. I loved the first one on my Lemond Zurich. It broke in quickly and was comfortable. Since I don't race, I didn't care that it was on the heavier side. Contrary to this experience, I tried a B-17 on a Serotta Concorse and dislike it because it never broke in. I treated both saddles the same but I couldn't get comfortable with the second one. While the two bikes had slightly different geometries, I never understood why the second one didn't work.

I'd suggest you ride the Brooks saddle and see what happens.

merckx
12-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I tried two B-17 saddles over the years; both on road bikes. I loved the first one on my Lemond Zurich. It broke in quickly and was comfortable. Since I don't race, I didn't care that it was on the heavier side. Contrary to this experience, I tried a B-17 on a Serotta Concorse and dislike it because it never broke in. I treated both saddles the same but I couldn't get comfortable with the second one. While the two bikes had slightly different geometries, I never understood why the second one didn't work.

I'd suggest you ride the Brooks saddle and see what happens.

The leather quality is inconsistent with Brooks. It is chance what you end up with when you purchase a leather saddle. OTOH, the C-17 is now my preferred saddle. It is very close in form to my previous favorite, a Regal, but the C-17 offers better damping properties.

malcolm
12-06-2014, 10:23 AM
The leather quality is inconsistent with Brooks. It is chance what you end up with when you purchase a leather saddle. OTOH, the C-17 is now my preferred saddle. It is very close in form to my previous favorite, a Regal, but the C-17 offers better damping properties.

Interesting I've always had good luck with consistency but did have one B17 about 10 years ago that I never felt like I could get it tight enough. I basically over a month or so turned the adj screw all the way out and it sill felt like I was on the rails. I think it's still on my shelf somewhere.

Ken Robb
12-06-2014, 10:38 AM
I don't doubt that there are variations in leather. Another possibility when using a B-17 on bikes with "aggressive" positions for the riders: there is less pressure concentrated on the sit bones and more toward the front of the saddle so the "hammock" never develops as it does when riders are more upright. Brooks warns against using neats foot oil because it softens the leather too much but that might be a last-ditch solution for some riders who want a soft saddle. I have ridden many Brooks and none of mine got very soft but I don't care as they have been comfortable for me right out of the box. The shape suits my butt so well that the pressure seems evenly distributed over a wide area of the saddle.

dekindy
12-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Decided to purchase the Team Pro in the classifieds and give it a try. Riding 60-90 minutes on the trainer this Winter so will try and get it broken in.

seanile
12-08-2014, 12:37 PM
i really enjoy that the poll is nearly an even split. i guess brooks advocates are far more vocal than those who didn't find success with em.

dekindy
12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Do I need bibs without a chamois to break in a Brooks saddle or will my sit bones punch through anyway?

FlashUNC
12-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Heavy and uncomfortable. I was not a fan.

etu
12-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Do I need bibs without a chamois to break in a Brooks saddle or will my sit bones punch through anyway?

not a problem wearing padded shorts during the break in period

4funbikes
12-09-2014, 04:49 AM
They do require more fuss then a traditional saddle,and can be a potential theft magnet.

That said, I own two.
One b17. It works, though I don't think it does much the turbo it replaced couldn't do.
One older champion flyer (sprung b17). That one is on an upright around town bike, and it does the trick. Though it doesn't often see more then 15 miles at a time.

Worth noting I paid peanuts for each (and I'm within a stones throw of a town boasted as "The peanut capital of the world")

The aesthetics play a slight role in my decision to keep them mounted as well.

kevinvc
12-10-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm getting a Brooks Cambium in a couple of weeks but am having a devil of a time deciding whether to go with a C17 or C15. This is for my year-round commuting bike, which is a flat bar cross bike with moderate / slightly aggressive positioning. I could conceivably put it on my steel roadie for casual centuries or touring.

I've never had a wider saddle before so I can't predict how the C17 would compare to anything else I've ridden. My most comfortable saddle right now is a Prologo Scratch, but when I say most comfortable I really mean "the only one I can really tolerate for anything more than 30 miles but still need to stand up a lot and am sore and numb after the ride."

dekindy
12-10-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm getting a Brooks Cambium in a couple of weeks but am having a devil of a time deciding whether to go with a C17 or C15. This is for my year-round commuting bike, which is a flat bar cross bike with moderate / slightly aggressive positioning. I could conceivably put it on my steel roadie for casual centuries or touring.

I've never had a wider saddle before so I can't predict how the C17 would compare to anything else I've ridden. My most comfortable saddle right now is a Prologo Scratch, but when I say most comfortable I really mean "the only one I can really tolerate for anything more than 30 miles but still need to stand up a lot and am sore and numb after the ride."

I was at my LBS yesterday and in addition to Fizik and Bontrager they listed Brooks on the demo saddles board. Maybe you could demo? Get them to put each on your bike and ride on a trainer or around their test area to get some idea?

sparky33
12-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Used to put long randonee miles on a Brooks Pro - it just worked somehow. Some B17 use too mostly commuting.

Using Fizik Aliante now almost exclusively.

Got a Berthoud saddle for a fancy bike, but it is just OK.

weightshift
12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I've tried B-17s and they're okay —·if you're more upright. The Swallow is what ended up working for me and I rode it on my old track bike. I found the Swallow to be the most akin to a "race" saddle if you're used to more normal road saddle. I don't have that saddle anymore (sold it with the bike), but it was the best one that worked for me. Took a while to find the sweet spot and get broken in (100 miles or so), but once that was set, it was pretty good.

dekindy
12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Difficult to find but finally located care recommendations in Brooks Q&A. Brooks recommends not applying proofide for the first 6 months and then only sparingly to the top and every 6 months after that. Exceptions are if the saddle gets wet or will be riding in the rain, then can apply to the underside for some moisture protection, again very sparingly, and to the top if excessive discomfort after some time of use. Prominent disclaimer that excessive application of Proofide can cause irreversible damage, softening the leather to the point it will no longer support the rider's weight. Neatsfoot oil is specifically mentioned as weakening the inner fibres and destroying the sheen finish of the leather.

Sheldon Brown, highly regarded expert on everything, references using various oils and right away to help soften the leather. Extreme example is Lon Haldeman's motor oil soak method. Another website recommend using water soaked rag and then riding until shaped and then apply Proofide when shaped.

Others say that the Team Pro can be comfortable right out of the box and only gets better. I am just going to put it on the bike and ride the trainer and see what happens!

OtayBW
12-14-2014, 12:01 PM
For the Team Pro especially, a ball-peen hammer and impact driver would be more like it....:banana:

Stephen2014
12-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Difficult to find but finally located care recommendations in Brooks Q&A. Brooks recommends not applying proofide for the first 6 months and then only sparingly to the top and every 6 months after that. Exceptions are if the saddle gets wet or will be riding in the rain, then can apply to the underside for some moisture protection, again very sparingly, and to the top if excessive discomfort after some time of use. Prominent disclaimer that excessive application of Proofide can cause irreversible damage, softening the leather to the point it will no longer support the rider's weight. Neatsfoot oil is specifically mentioned as weakening the inner fibres and destroying the sheen finish of the leather.

Sheldon Brown, highly regarded expert on everything, references using various oils and right away to help soften the leather. Extreme example is Lon Haldeman's motor oil soak method. Another website recommend using water soaked rag and then riding until shaped and then apply Proofide when shaped.

Others say that the Team Pro can be comfortable right out of the box and only gets better. I am just going to put it on the bike and ride the trainer and see what happens!

I'd only use Proofide. Sheldon Brown was great, but incorrect on this.

dekindy
12-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Got a good as new Brooks Team Professional in the mail today. Rode for an hour with bike mounted to Kickr and had good results. So far all this Brooks break-in business appears to be nonsense in my case. Felt as good as any saddle I have ever used, maybe slightly better. No numbness while riding the trainer and I had been experiencing some numbness on the Prologo Scratch Pro that has served me very well on the road for the last 5 years.

No indentation, but thought I could see the outline where my sit bones should be and it seemed to be at the widest part of the saddle. If anything I maybe should move the saddle forward a little bit so no trouble with setback that a lot of folks complain about.

Little confused regarding Proofide. Q&A on Brooks website says you should not need to apply Proofide for the first 6 months but could use it for break-in if after a period of time the saddle was not getting broken in. Maintenance & Care instruction that came with the saddle says to coat the underside with Proofide and leave it and sparingly apply to the top side and buff after drying overnight. Which is it? Seems like Brooks has been around long enough to get their act together!

Ken Robb
12-18-2014, 10:24 PM
I have several Brooks and I have always applied Proofhide to the bottom and top right away. They are all comfy. A couple have slight indentations where my bones hit and a couple look like they did on day one. Only one has seen a little rain.

Stephen2014
12-19-2014, 04:01 AM
With the underside just apply one coat and leave it, if you ride a bike with mudguards you don't need to use any underneath. On the upper surface apply, leave for about half a day or more the polish up with a cloth. Easy to apply on the evening and leave overnight.