PDA

View Full Version : PDW fenders??

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
anyone using them?

if so, is the narrower road version ok with a 28 tire?

thanks!

sandyrs
12-04-2014, 08:41 AM
anyone using them?

if so, is the narrower road version ok with a 28 tire?

thanks!

Ideally a 28mm tire should be paired with at least a 35mm fender for spray coverage. That said, if your frame can clear a 28 with those fenders and for some reason can't clear a 35mm fender with the same tire, it will still definitely be better than no fenders at all. They're really nice looking too.

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Ideally a 28mm tire should be paired with at least a 35mm fender for spray coverage. That said, if your frame can clear a 28 with those fenders and for some reason can't clear a 35mm fender with the same tire, it will still definitely be better than no fenders at all. They're really nice looking too.

i can definitely clear it...but the next size up is 40mm

sparky33
12-04-2014, 09:23 AM
PDW metal fenders have a very forgiving profile that clears big tires in tight spaces. They aren't tall and don't have a rolled edge (as you see with a Honjo), so the interior/underside space of the fender isn't fill by the fender itself...more room for the tire....make sense? In theory there is more exposure to sidespray but I haven't had problem with that.

These are great fenders made by someone who gets it.

Long front fender that actually protects toes and such. Stiff enough to stay in place. Easy to assemble. Durable. I'm not going back to Honjo, SKS or anything else.

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 09:41 AM
PDW metal fenders have a very forgiving profile that clears big tires in tight spaces. They aren't tall and don't have a rolled edge (as you see with a Honjo), so the interior/underside space of the fender isn't fill by the fender itself...more room for the tire....make sense? In theory there is more exposure to sidespray but I haven't had problem with that.

Long front fender that actually protects toes and such. Stiff enough to stay in place. Easy to assemble. Durable. I'm not going back to Honjo, SKS or anything else.

so you think i should go with the city fenders?

sparky33
12-04-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm saying that you might be able to get away with the Road fenders on 28s because PDWs are roomy. The City fenders are wider of course, so you may or may not run into issues fitting them into your frame... It's hard to say without actually giving it a try.

fa63
12-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I bought a pair recently (the road version), but haven't fitted it on my bike yet. I use a 28 mm tire in the back. I will let you know what the results are if I can get around to it this weekend.

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm saying that you might be able to get away with the Road fenders on 28s because PDWs are roomy. The City fenders are wider of course, so you may or may not run into issues fitting them into your frame... It's hard to say without actually giving it a try.

gotcha...thanks!

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I bought a pair recently (the road version), but haven't fitted it on my bike yet. I use a 28 mm tire in the back. I will let you know what the results are if I can get around to it this weekend.

that would be great...thanks!

Kirk007
12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
These look really nice (on web and in person) and I almost bought some but for (1) price and (2) I've had bad luck with metal fenders as for me they inevitably create some toe overlap, and with honjos and berthoud's I've creased the front fenders in moments of inattention at stoplights etc. Pricey mistake and sks/planet bike are more forgiving on this score.

I look forward to more long term reports on these though; I would like a metal front fender to mount my dynamo powered light on.

bigman
12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
The PDW metal fenders are really nice - but the std road fender may not even accommodate a 25, you need the city fender

christian
12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
You should use a 35-41mm fender for a 28mm tire. Looks best works best. I used 41mm Honjos with my 28mm tires on my Hampco and that was ideal.

OK, I looked at the PDW widths. Get the wider ones.

PSC
12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a set and they are kind of tight w/ my 25mm tires. Good solid fender.

crownjewelwl
12-04-2014, 11:47 AM
You should use a 35-41mm fender for a 28mm tire. Looks best works best. I used 41mm Honjos with my 28mm tires on my Hampco and that was ideal.

OK, I looked at the PDW widths. Get the wider ones.

ordered...perfect...thx

bironi
12-04-2014, 12:24 PM
I had to change to the PDW narrow fenders recently. I loved my Berthoud fenders, but they would not fit on my newly acquired old bike. The PDW come close to getting it right. They should have extended the upper front fender farther forward to prevent back spray when descending on very wet roads. They also need a longer tail or mud flap on the rear. They are designed in Portland. Don't they suck wheels in pacelines in the rain down there? Really stupid. I added an extra 4" to protect my riding buddies.
Byron

sandyrs
12-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I had to change to the PDW narrow fenders recently. I loved my Berthoud fenders, but they would not fit on my newly acquired old bike. The PDW come close to getting it right. They should have extended the upper front fender farther forward to prevent back spray when descending on very wet roads. They also need a longer tail or mud flap on the rear. They are designed in Portland. Don't they suck wheels in pacelines in the rain down there? Really stupid. I added an extra 4" to protect my riding buddies.
Byron

It's definitely a personal pet peeve when a fender doesn't include a sufficient rear flap. It defeats the point of having fenders in a group, like you said.

"Selfish fender: a fender which keeps the road spray off the back of the rider on the bike, while allowing enough of a gap for a healthy amount of road spray to fling up into the face of anyone riding behind said rider (http://www.velofix.com/rainy-ride-gear/#sthash.HAiLovHr.dpuf)"

At least it's possible to use a plastic water bottle to remedy the issue!

krhea
12-04-2014, 01:03 PM
I hope this link works( if not lmk and I'll try again), as it shows some close-ups of PDW fender fit with 25mm tires. If you're not familiar this should give you a good idea.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KRhea/library/Fondriest

guido
12-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Link worked. Looks great! Is that over the rear brake attachment standard or your addition?

krhea
12-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Link worked. Looks great! Is that over the rear brake attachment standard or your addition?

Brake attachment comes with the fender kit.

modernfuturist
12-04-2014, 02:31 PM
It's definitely a personal pet peeve when a fender doesn't include a sufficient rear flap. It defeats the point of having fenders in a group, like you said.

"Selfish fender: a fender which keeps the road spray off the back of the rider on the bike, while allowing enough of a gap for a healthy amount of road spray to fling up into the face of anyone riding behind said rider (http://www.velofix.com/rainy-ride-gear/#sthash.HAiLovHr.dpuf)"

At least it's possible to use a plastic water bottle to remedy the issue!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaXItIwCMAEPuuH.png:large (https://twitter.com/jeffwerner/status/406952019107131392)

miguel
12-05-2014, 12:32 AM
I have the lil ones and 23s, it's tight. Great fenders, seem sturdy.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2014, 06:49 AM
I hope this link works( if not lmk and I'll try again), as it shows some close-ups of PDW fender fit with 25mm tires. If you're not familiar this should give you a good idea.

Tail light is a little low..?

Like the around brake 'reach around'..all fenders ought to have it.

krhea
12-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Tail light is a little low..?

Like the around brake 'reach around'..all fenders ought to have it.

Tail light is positioned perfectly for my use...it isn't set high enough to flash directly into the eyes of the rider behind me, especially in a paceline yet does it's job perfectly to alert vehicles to my presence on the road. It also keeps the lines of the bike a bit sleeker then having it hanging off the seat post or stay.

I view high mounted flashers on club rides and group training rides the same as fenders without buddy flaps, intolerable.

thirdgenbird
12-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Nice bike.

sjbraun
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Why would you ever need a flashing rear light on a group ride?

Really poor form to keep blinking in a group. The blinky gets you to the ride, doesn't serve a purpose once the group starts rolling, IMHO.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Tail light is positioned perfectly for my use...it isn't set high enough to flash directly into the eyes of the rider behind me, especially in a paceline yet does it's job perfectly to alert vehicles to my presence on the road. It also keeps the lines of the bike a bit sleeker then having it hanging off the seat post or stay.

I view high mounted flashers on club rides and group training rides the same as fenders without buddy flaps, intolerable.

Gonna ask, not looking to argue..daytime group ride/paceline, yes?

Do you need a rear taillight at all? And I was thinking more of a center-ish mounted taillight on the rear fender, not seatpost/stay.

Kinda Like here. Fender mount.

And when I am riding behind somebody close enough to be called a 'paceline', I can barely see below his rear brake. IMHO, of course, You can put a light anywhere you want, just asking. It 'seems' to be pointed at the ground, is all.

pjmsj21
01-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Just double checking with you PDW fender fans to see if they will work with a 25mm?

bismo37
01-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Just double checking with you PDW fender fans to see if they will work with a 25mm?

I've got 25mm Conti GP4000S and 25mm Vittoria Paves under those fenders. Can be tight depending on your fork/brake clearances.

marciero
01-12-2015, 06:32 AM

Really? That says a lot. You dont find you are getting more side spray as a result of not having rolled edges to act (according to Jan H) as a channel to facilitate draining of water? Also, for frames designed for fenders (center/radial-drilled mounts) you would have to cut off the mounting tabs, or at least they would be superfluous, no?

rwerkudara
01-12-2015, 07:54 AM
I've got 25mm Conti GP4000S and 25mm Vittoria Paves under those fenders. Can be tight depending on your fork/brake clearances.

Curious what wheelset? Did not have enough clearance for 25mm 4000s mounted on a 23mm wide rim.

r_mutt
01-12-2015, 09:03 AM
how do these fit with disc brake cx bikes with no traditional brake mount?

jbay
01-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Really? That says a lot. You dont find you are getting more side spray as a result of not having rolled edges to act (according to Jan H) as a channel to facilitate draining of water? Also, for frames designed for fenders (center/radial-drilled mounts) you would have to cut off the mounting tabs, or at least they would be superfluous, no?
I have to agree with Sparky33 entirely. The rolled edges of Honjos and their ilk are an artefact of their construction, do not contribute to their effectiveness. On the other hand, they seriously compromise tyre clearance, on Berthouds especially.

Regarding the tab on the front 'guard, the effort needed to remove/drill it out to allow mounting with a through-bolt is much less than that required to mount any Honjos/Berthouds/Vélo Oranges etc., so it's still a win-win.

However, I wouldn't complain if the front 'guard on the PDWs was a little longer overall than it is and I wish they made a wide 650B version.

-- John

marciero
01-12-2015, 05:21 PM
I have to agree with Sparky33 entirely. The rolled edges of Honjos and their ilk are an artefact of their construction, do not contribute to their effectiveness. On the other hand, they seriously compromise tyre clearance, on Berthouds especially.

Regarding the tab on the front 'guard, the effort needed to remove/drill it out to allow mounting with a through-bolt is much less than that required to mount any Honjos/Berthouds/Vélo Oranges etc., so it's still a win-win.

-- John

I see. I guess it is just a rivet you would have to drill out to completely remove the tab, rather than cutting it off, which would not be too clean looking. And am pretty sure i did have to drill a hole for VO fenders.

jbay
01-12-2015, 06:10 PM
I see. I guess it is just a rivet you would have to drill out to completely remove the tab, rather than cutting it off, which would not be too clean looking. And am pretty sure i did have to drill a hole for VO fenders.There are two rivets to drill out, to tell the whole story. Also, the tab is riveted to the underside of the 'guard and comes through a slot. You might want to tape over the slot to prevent the egress of crud.

-- John

bismo37
01-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Curious what wheelset? Did not have enough clearance for 25mm 4000s mounted on a 23mm wide rim.

Campy Neutrons, Zondas & Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelsets. So yeah, no wide ones.

pjmsj21
01-16-2015, 06:26 PM
In an effort not to spend $120 on fenders, I purchased the Reacharound hardware that River City bicycles makes with the idea of using an existing set of fenders from an older bike that I no longer have (http://rivercitybicycles.com/rcb-catalog/reacharound-fender-brackets/)

Well naturally the Reacharounds don't work for Serotta wishbone seat stays.

So does anyone have any recommendations on fenders for a Serotta sporting the F3 fork running Hed Rims, Conti 4000s 25mm tires and 6600 Shimano brakes?

TIA!

coylifut
01-17-2015, 08:31 AM
reach arounds eventually break. usually at the point farthest away from home. bring zip ties

pay up for the fenders. they are worth it.

extending fenders with an extra piece of fender works quite well if you never expect to transport the bike. often, extending with material wider than the fender and rigid results in fender shake/vibration.

extending fenders with a flexible flaps, like these http://www.rainydaybiking.com/Stealth-Bike-Mud-Flap-p/610.htm

are best for keeping spray off riding partners while allowing the bike sit atop a roof-rack when needed. not the sexiest set up, but folks here in Portland really don't care as long as it keeps your grimey water out of their face

gospastic
01-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Just installed these on a caad10. 25s wouldn't fit :( but got them to work with 23s.

CMiller
01-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Do users feel the quality difference is worth the price differential to offerings from SKS? I hope to try them on my next project.

bismo37
01-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Do users feel the quality difference is worth the price differential to offerings from SKS? I hope to try them on my next project.

Yes. Western Bike Works has 'em on sale for $96.

Neil
01-18-2015, 06:03 AM
23mm internal width rims, 28 on the rear, 25 on the front, standard PDW FMF:

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10903656_336539329870221_1502679166_n.jpg

The front fork is an ENVE RD, so space is tight - but it all works, you just get the odd "ziiiiiip!" noise as a bit of crud rides the tyre round the inside of the 'guard before being thrown out the front.

chiasticon
01-18-2015, 01:51 PM
FYI: amazon has these for $86 right now ($89 for the wider version). they're prime, too.

i'm running the 30mm version with 25mm conti four seasons mounted to 23mm wide rims. they fit great but yeah when it's super wet out, some of the grit works its way around the fender. which results in the fender getting covered in crud, but not me. not sure if that would happen with 23's or not, i haven't tried.

i'm running them on a cross bike, btw. i had to get a little creative with mounting them. i have a rear brake bridge and a chainstay bridge, but they're not drilled. so i had to use p-clamps. also no fender crown hole, so i had to use zip ties. still they work great overall, don't rattle at all and are pretty easy to take on/off after the initial set up.