PDA

View Full Version : Reviewed: Cat Eye & Wahoo smart phone GPS bike computers

velomonkey
12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I've been on Garmin since the old 305 and been recording every single one of my rides. I got the 510 and just didn't dig the touch screen and, well, I'm a different rider than when I got the 305 all those years ago.

Cat Eye has the strada Smart and Wahoo has the RFLKT+ - both are computers that use an app on your smart phone and thus your phones GPS. Both can do power, HR and a speed sensor.

I reviewed both for my LBS. At about a 1/3 the price of a Garmin there are pros and cons, but the bottom line, in my view, is that this is where the industry is gonna go.

Here is the review (http://brumblebikes.com/review-wahoo-rflkt-and-cat-eye-strada-smart/)

In summary: if you want just a head unit to show you speed, power, HR, Time - the cat eye is awesome and at $80 and the smallest computer with the best mount it's even better. However, if you want more and a better app, accurate elevation and ANT+ with a bigger screen - the RFLKT+ is for you (but man, the mounts are horrible).

Anyway, hope this helps for those considering a computer.

cdn_bacon
12-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share this.

When I'm in the market I will use this information!:hello:

Anarchist
12-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Gave up Garmin some time ago and have been using the Cateye unit for a while now.

Same mount as the mount for the Cateye Stealth50 which is a terrific mount. The Cateye Smart unit works just fine with either Runtastic or Wahoofitness running on the iPhone.

I use the Topeak units as speed/cadence sensors as I prefer the one piece unit to the "tail" style that the Wahoo unit is.