PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Seatpost and Maintenance

97CSI
03-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Have always hung my bicycle from the clamp in the maintenance stand using the seatpost as the place to clamp. Bought an FSA carbon seatpost for my new Scapin and am wondering if this is still the recommended method by which one would mount the bike in the stand clamp? Am not real excited about clamping these thin steel tubes. Would rather crush the $130 seatpost than kink the $1700 frame tube. What's the correct thinking on this. :confused: Thanks.

bluesea
03-25-2006, 05:08 PM
No more guessing.

Kevan
03-25-2006, 05:56 PM
the seat post. Never had a prob doing that to my USE Alien.

lnomalley
03-25-2006, 06:25 PM
the seat post will be just fine clamped in the stand. as it will clamped into the seat tube....
no worries.

97CSI
03-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I'd probably knock that Tacx stand over 20 times every use. Don't think its for me. YMMV.

CNY rider
03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Or just get an old, el-cheapo metal post and put that in when you want to do some work.

I'd be nervous about doing high torque maneuvers like BB, etc. while clamped to a carbon seatpost. But that's just IMHO, ATMO, YMMV etc.

lnomalley
03-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Or just get an old, el-cheapo metal post and put that in when you want to do some work.

I'd be nervous about doing high torque maneuvers like BB, etc. while clamped to a carbon seatpost. But that's just IMHO, ATMO, YMMV etc.

guys, your seat post get's clamped into your seat tube with your big a** sitting on it. it will be fine. throw a rag around it.. put it into the stand. don't worry, be happy.

alancw3
03-26-2006, 01:18 PM
have always clamped the seatpost rather than the frame. would rather sacrifice a seatpost than a frame.

Ken Robb
03-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Inomaley got right to the "meat" of this question I think. Seriously, If our post survives being clamped by a seat clamp that is no more than 1" wide while we are pounding it with over 100lbs of weight why should there be a problem clamping it over several inches of padded jaws in a stand?