PDA

View Full Version : MTB: 9 speed 1x crank with 10 speed RD and cassette?

Antonio_B
12-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Maybe there's already a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure if this is possible...but I want to use a 9 speed mtb crank with a narrow-wide chainring on a 10 speed setup. Go or no-go?

thirdgenbird
12-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Sure.

I've got an 8spd era crankset with a new single ring and a 10spd zee group. I would have done narrow/wide but couldn't find one in the correct bcd.

I absolutely love the setup. Way better than the 3x8 that cane before it. I do think I may get a 40t or 42t oneup cog setup.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/stumpjumper/454CFE86-3671-4929-BA7D-EC7597AA44C7_zpsccu3n3nb.jpg

Antonio_B
12-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Nice - I've got a line on an older XTR crankset, and I really don't want to pass it up. Thanks for the response!

thirdgenbird
12-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Assuming it is a triple, you will probably have to mount the single ring in the center position. (per my picture)

pcxmbfj
12-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Assuming it is a triple, you will probably have to mount the single ring in the center position. (per my picture)
Some of the XTR are spyderless and don't mount a middle ring without the big IIRC.

jh_on_the_cape
12-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Some of the XTR are spyderless and don't mount a middle ring without the big IIRC.

the older xtr m952 are spiderless but you can get a spider for them from 3rd parties.

the narrow wide rings are only in the newer bcd. I looked into this conversion and after it's all said and done, unless you have the parts already, it's easier and not much more $$ to get a new group.

Also, with the new 'clutch' rear ders, you can get away without the narrow wide and just run whatever gears you want... well almost.

mtb_frk
12-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I did 1x9 with a narrow-wide ring. I still drop my chain, I haven't got around to putting a chain keeper on. I think a clutch rear der. would also do the trick. But now I just ride that bike on the road and it's fine.

Antonio_B
12-03-2014, 05:22 PM
So my current setup, on both my MTB and CX bike, is a clutch-style derailleur and a narrow-wide chainring. Never dropped a single chain on either. I'm sure we could debate this all day, but from my POV, you definitely need both (clutch RD and narrow-wide ring) if you want to avoid using a chain catcher.

thirdgenbird
12-03-2014, 07:47 PM
I ththe about those spiderless cranks, but couldn't recall if all the 9spd ones were that way...

I nearly went with just the clutch rd but I wanted a belt and suspenders setup so I also used a Paul chain keeper. A new crankset wouldn't have cost a whole lot more, but I sorta wanted to keep silver cranks. They are virtually new and look great.

No regrets:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/stumpjumper/E47B9CC6-3F34-4BFD-97B3-B13106425F5B_zpscresiral.jpg

SpeedyChix
12-03-2014, 08:26 PM
So my current setup, on both my MTB and CX bike, is a clutch-style derailleur and a narrow-wide chainring. Never dropped a single chain on either. I'm sure we could debate this all day, but from my POV, you definitely need both (clutch RD and narrow-wide ring) if you want to avoid using a chain catcher.

You just answered a question I had. If a clutch-type rear der + a wide/narrow single ring would eliminate the need for a chain keeper? Looks like a winning combo.

Antonio_B
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
You just answered a question I had. If a clutch-type rear der + a wide/narrow single ring would eliminate the need for a chain keeper? Looks like a winning combo.

I've seen some lively debates about this same topic on this board, and I'm assuming most will probably disagree with me. But a raceface narrow wide chainring really doesn't cost that much more than a regular single (non-ramped) chainring. Same goes for a clutch-style rear derailleur (like X9 or XT). If you're not spending THAT much more, why not do it? It's at least peace of mind, especially if you're racing.

jh_on_the_cape
12-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Yes. That is all the 1 x groups do from SRAM and shimano.

you need a new front ring, a new rear der, and maybe a new chain. then just make sure it's all set up correctly.

jh_on_the_cape
12-04-2014, 09:26 AM
No regrets:

spell check!

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/179415/file-255682987-png/images/screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_12.30.11_pm.png

http://www.bestnewtattoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/No_Ragrets_Tattoo04.jpg

thirdgenbird
12-04-2014, 10:06 AM
perfect.

Fat thumbs, small mobile device, and obviously a lack of proof reading. Unlike a tattoo, the forum has an edit button.

jh_on_the_cape
12-04-2014, 10:16 AM
no you spelled it right. it just reminded me of that movie.
google image search ' no ragrets tattoo' and you seem some just awful stuff.

perfect.

Fat thumbs, small mobile device, and obviously a lack of proof reading. Unlike a tattoo, the forum has an edit button.

thirdgenbird
12-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Ha, I didn't even check. I'm guilty of lots of errors.

SpeedyChix
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I've seen some lively debates about this same topic on this board, and I'm assuming most will probably disagree with me. But a raceface narrow wide chainring really doesn't cost that much more than a regular single (non-ramped) chainring. Same goes for a clutch-style rear derailleur (like X9 or XT). If you're not spending THAT much more, why not do it? It's at least peace of mind, especially if you're racing.

Yes. That is all the 1 x groups do from SRAM and shimano.

you need a new front ring, a new rear der, and maybe a new chain. then just make sure it's all set up correctly.

Thanks!