PDA

View Full Version : Q Factor

dekindy
12-02-2014, 04:03 PM
The Serotta Legend has a triple Ultegra and the Waterford has a double 105 crankset. Both bikes have Ultegra pedals, same model number and same saddle.

Added a spacer on the Legend to increase Q Factor.

How do I measure Q Factor? I am assuming the width of the triple is more than the double assuming no spacer, is that correct?

Will it be possible to duplicate the Q Factor from the Serotta to the Waterford? Spacer is small but fitter said he did not want to add any more so as to not compromise the strength of the pedal spindle. Small spacer seemed to be adequate as it did increase my cadence for the same perceived effort.

I had duplicated the saddle height but had not gotten around to switching from straight seat post to setback to get correct distance from the saddle to bars on the Waterford. Distance was close to an inch off so could really tell the difference between the two bikes. Next ride the Q Factor should be the only variable between the bikes so I will be able to tell if the different Q Factor on the trainer translates to the road.

John H.
12-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Mount your cranks so that the pedals are in same direction rather than 180 degrees off- then it becomes easy to measure.

David Kirk
12-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Take a piece of masking tape and put it on top of one of the c-stays near where the end of the crank arm passes and draw a line on it in the fore/aft direction.

Now simply measure from the pedal face of one crank arm to the line you made and add that to the number you get from the opposite arm to the same line and ta da! you have your Q factor.

dave