PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Cycle Club?

ANAO
12-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Did anybody else fill out an application for membership?

Wondering how special I should feel...

gngroup
12-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Did anybody else fill out an application for membership?

Wondering how special I should feel...

Yes, and wondering the same!

pdmtong
12-02-2014, 04:08 PM
I got the first email Nov 3 and a second today. Interesting. Not sure I'd use all the perks but may have to check it out....

TheEnglish
12-02-2014, 04:41 PM
I received the email, but I don't have the $285 to fork over for what amounts to privilege to buy more Rapha gear. Though it sounds like you get their RCC kit for free, I am guessing that isn't the case... cuz Rapha. If I traveled a bunch, I would probably consider it as the complimentary bikes would be huge (depending on locations, it would actually be a deal to do that over rent), but we just had twins, so I won't be traveling much for awhile.

rwerkudara
12-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I received the email, filled out the application, and just received an approval email - I guess I said something right in the application. Still not sure if it's something i'd pay for, but it's nice getting an acceptance email.

ANAO
12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
I received the email, but I don't have the $285 to fork over for what amounts to privilege to buy more Rapha gear. Though it sounds like you get their RCC kit for free, I am guessing that isn't the case... cuz Rapha. If I traveled a bunch, I would probably consider it as the complimentary bikes would be huge (depending on locations, it would actually be a deal to do that over rent), but we just had twins, so I won't be traveling much for awhile.

Looks like you also get free coffee...and the kit. The kit alone is worth $285, I wager.

sparky33
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I received the email, filled out the application, and just received an approval email - I guess I said something right in the application. Still not sure if it's something i'd pay for, but it's nice getting an acceptance email.

I was going to answer the application questions, but instead I mailed in some mustache trimmings enclosed in an envelope scented with embro.

AngryScientist
12-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Looks like you also get free coffee...and the kit. The kit alone is worth $285, I wager.

yea, i think you probably have access to buy the special kit, not get it with membership.

dsimon
12-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Well I didnt get an email guess im not cool enough:cool:

rwerkudara
12-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I was going to answer the application questions, but instead I mailed in some mustache trimmings enclosed in an envelope scented with embro.

I think the originality deserves your membership fee to be waived!

rwerkudara
12-02-2014, 05:27 PM
yea, i think you probably have access to buy the special kit, not get it with membership.

I emailed them about this. Also want to know if it's a one-time or annual fee.

justinrchan
12-02-2014, 05:56 PM
I got the email, clicked on the link and it led me to the Rapha website. I didn't see any spot where I can complete the application. What did I miss?

bcroslin
12-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I wonder if you have to spend a certain amount of money to receive the email.

I just dropped another $175 yesterday and I get no love. :mad:

avalonracing
12-02-2014, 06:18 PM
The kit alone is worth $285, I wager.

Well in Rapha-land it is.

FlashUNC
12-02-2014, 06:32 PM

$285 per annum from the site.

Seems like it'd be a yearly fee for club support if they're capping the member numbers.

cash05458
12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
damn...I didn't get an offer from them...left off the team...:confused:

sparky33
12-02-2014, 07:16 PM
I wonder if you have to spend a certain amount of money to receive the email.

I just dropped another $175 yesterday and I get no love. :mad:

It MUST be an awesome club if the criteria for invitation is a fondness for snazzy bib shorts.

I remember a fraternity party that was something like that....

FlashUNC
12-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Snark aside, for anyone who travels a ton for work, this might be worth it alone for the bike borrowing bits.

sparky33
12-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Snark aside, for anyone who travels a ton for work, this might be worth it alone for the bike borrowing bits.

True.
Wish I had more travel biking in works.

oldpotatoe
12-03-2014, 06:15 AM

1000 comedians out of work...Ya sure it was 'mustache' trimmings?

bcroslin
12-03-2014, 07:19 AM
It MUST be an awesome club if the criteria for invitation is a fondness for snazzy bib shorts.

I remember a fraternity party that was something like that....

Hate to admit it but I dropped that on a jersey, arm warmers and socks. On sale. In my defense, it's the most comfortable cycling clothing I've ever owned.

cfox
12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
This is pure brilliance on Rapha's part: create a bundle of services wrapped up as a "club" (complete with application! I hope they like me!!) to create an air of exclusivity. They know 99% of the services they offer will never be used (what the hell is a cycling "concierge"??), so what they are selling is a $285 pre-paid coffee card. The bike service for travelers is pretty cool, but honestly, how many of us would be able to utilize that service? I don't travel much, and when I do, I don't have time for a bike ride. And the kit is not included in the membership price. So if you are a traveler who frequents areas near Rapha cycle clubs and you have time to ride, or someone who spends more than $285/yr on espresso at rapha clubs, then sure, I can see it.

I really like and wear Rapha, to the extent that I received an invitation, but no thanks

Hepmike
12-03-2014, 11:26 AM
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member"

ANAO
12-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Please follow up - I'm curious about this.

eBAUMANN
12-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Please follow up - I'm curious about this.

pretty sure its an annual fee.

it only really seems worth it if you travel a lot and could take advantage of the bike borrowing...which can get pretty expensive in its own right if you actually rented a high-end bike in each place you visited.

ill probably send in an application just for the hell of it, wouldnt consider actually forking up the loot unless a kit was part of the deal.

leooooo
12-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Thought kit was included

ANAO
12-03-2014, 11:42 AM

it only really seems worth it if you travel a lot and could take advantage of the bike borrowing...which can get pretty expensive in its own right if you actually rented a high-end bike in each place you visited.

ill probably send in an application just for the hell of it, wouldnt consider actually forking up the loot unless a kit was part of the deal.

What's in the "package"?

"Your RCC welcome pack will be sent to you in early January."

El Chaba
12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Membership is about as prestigious a being a member of AARP but with half the benefits.....

AngryScientist
12-03-2014, 11:58 AM
with regard to the "bike borrowing bit" - i wonder how they will work that exactly? maybe you guys in the popular size spots on the bell curve would have a chance, but what are the odds rapha is going to dig up a size 50 frame for me to ride on short notice?

i am a big fan of rapha gear, and i think some of their "lifestyle" stuff is pretty cool - for example the festive-500: what a cool idea to get people from all around the world on their bikes over christmas break? i too got an invitation, but i'm not sure on the value yet.

FlashUNC
12-03-2014, 12:11 PM
with regard to the "bike borrowing bit" - i wonder how they will work that exactly? maybe you guys in the popular size spots on the bell curve would have a chance, but what are the odds rapha is going to dig up a size 50 frame for me to ride on short notice?

i am a big fan of rapha gear, and i think some of their "lifestyle" stuff is pretty cool - for example the festive-500: what a cool idea to get people from all around the world on their bikes over christmas break? i too got an invitation, but i'm not sure on the value yet.

Includes a mention of a unique SpinLister membership included. So maybe its a reserve of fellow cycle club member bikes they've listed for other members to borrow?

Just spit balling, but that seems like one option.

Lovetoclimb
12-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I inquired regarding the kit: it is NOT included in the $285 annual fee. As someone who does travel for work regularly but have yet to go to a city with a rapha cycle club/store, I would be unable to take advantage of the bike rental. Also I have a custom couplered bike which I genuinely believe is more enjoyable than whatever rental they will have for me. Nothing would be worse than swapping out my Campy equipped steel bike for a Specialized with Sram!

This must have been based on some survey feedback that enough people wanted a more exclusive customer experience. The upgrade to 2 day shipping is a nice perk but again about the only thing I would regularly take advantage of and the ROI does not seem great.

rwsaunders
12-03-2014, 12:48 PM
I overheard this gentleman inquiring about Rapha when I had dinner with Dave Thompson at his club in Spokane a few months ago...

William
12-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I heard Dave Thompson was opening up a Rapha Cabana in Baja. Due to legal and zoning issues he will be serving unlimited free snifters of premium Tequila instead of coffee. I don't give one hoot about a rental bike, I'll join just for the "T"!! http://community.secondlife.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/42889i01EDA1077FC91C0D?v=mpbl-1

William

rwerkudara
12-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Just heard back from them. You're right, its annual. As for the kit, it's not included, it's just available for purchase.

fiamme red
12-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I overheard this gentleman inquiring about Rapha when I had dinner with Dave Thompson at his club in Spokane a few months ago...Are you frightfully well? You are? Oh, good show!

yngpunk
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I overheard this gentleman inquiring about Rapha when I had dinner with Dave Thompson at his club in Spokane a few months ago...

Are you sure it wasn't this guy?

Dead Man
12-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I got an invite. They actually offered to pay me to accept it. I declined.

jimoots
12-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's going as well as they hoped - I got a reminder email about the club.

They're asking A$300 from us here in Australia, and to be honest, I'd rather spend that on another pro-team kit than some airy fairy membership.

rustychisel
12-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm not on their radar. My partner bought some Rapha stuff for my birthday, so I trust she gets their many manky emails.

Black Dog
12-04-2014, 08:24 PM
So, you have to apply to give them money so you will then be allowed to buy some of their stuff?

Rapha wins the universe. :rolleyes:

gdw
12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
"So, you have to apply to give them money so you will then be allowed to buy some of their stuff? "

Has anyone been denied membership yet? If so, why?.... poor credit, lack of ironic facial hair?

jimoots
12-04-2014, 10:35 PM
So, you have to apply to give them money so you will then be allowed to buy some of their stuff?

Rapha wins the universe. :rolleyes:

It's more experiential than product based rewards, I think. That said, if you don't live in a chapter city and/or don't drink coffee I can't see how on earth this would be worth your money.

I don't live in a chapter city, and even if I did, not sure if my coffee intake warrants $300 p/a. $300 is a lot of money for a cycling cap and the chance to ride a Pinny if I visit a city that does have a Rapha CC.

Nobody has posted what you actually get, so here's my opportunity for some glory.

THE RAPHA CYCLING CLUB. LAUNCHES 1ST JANUARY 2015.

The Rapha Cycling Club is the first cycling club of its kind, an active riding and racing club designed to create a global community of like-minded, passionate road riders.

Applications for membership are now open. To apply for an annual membership of the Rapha Cycling Club, please fill in your details below. In order to maintain the very highest levels of service, membership is limited.

We regret that not all applications will be successful, although we will review membership on an annual basis.

Membership is $300 per annum.

Benefits of membership:
Exclusive RCC training and racing kit, including special editions.
Chapters based in key cycling cities around the world.
Highly active racing club with dedicated support.
Full-time RCC manager.
International RCC cycling concierge service, available to use regardless of where you live.
Complimentary upgrade to express shipping on all rapha.cc orders.
Private RCC members club on strava.com.
Complimentary biannual magazine.
Online members forum.
Regular emails keeping you in touch with the RCC community.

At Rapha Cycle Clubs:
Weekly organised RCC rides.
Road bikes available to borrow when travelling abroad.
Complimentary coffee.
Exclusive RCC events.

Other benefits:
Priority reservations at Rapha events, such as the Rapha Prestige, Hell of the North, and Rapha Super Cross.
Races organised by the RCC team near each Cycle Club.
Seasonal ‘product-insight’ evenings.
RCC training camp and Rapha Travel riding adventures.
15% off any second Rapha Travel trip in the same calendar year.
Complementary use of custom Pinarello Dogma K race bikes with Rapha Travel.
Dedicated members community on spinlister.com.

FAQS

What is included in the RCC welcome pack?
The welcome pack includes a member’s brochure, RCC cap, roundel, member’s race number and membership card.

Is the kit included in the membership fee?
No, other than those items supplied as part of the welcome pack, RCC kit and products are not included in the annual membership fee.

What RCC kit items are available?
The kit includes a Race Jersey, Training Jersey, Bib Shorts, Gilet, Cap, Socks, Oversocks and a T-shirt, plus limited edition seasonal products.

Can I still enjoy the benefits of membership if I don't live near a chapter city?
If you’re not based in, or near, one of the Club’s city chapter locations, you can apply to join the RCC’s International chapter. This will allow you to enjoy the same concierge service when visiting a Rapha Cycle Club, as well as participating in Club rides, races and events when travelling abroad. You’ll also have access to the same exclusive RCC kit and offers from Rapha Travel, while the members’ forum will connect you directly with your fellow club members wherever they are in the world.

What is the concierge service?
Our concierges are based in each of our Cycle Clubs. Armed with key contacts and local insider knowledge, they will be happy to offer advice and support to members based anywhere in the world. They are your personal contact at the Cycle Clubs and are able to assist you with bike hire or take you out on a local ride.

Can my partner join?
Partners and spouses are certainly welcome to apply. Please email the RCC team for more details: rcc@rapha cc.

What does the bike hiring service involve?
Members will be able borrow high-end road bikes from the Cycle Clubs when visiting from another chapter, or if they are members of the International chapter. This is subject to availability and members will need to email the local concierge in advance to reserve a bike. Please be sure to include your frame size and arrival date.

jimoots
12-04-2014, 10:41 PM

If I know anything about Rapha, they'll have 48's and 62's in supply. They are a premium brand, charge premium prices and provide a premium experience.

As I've said already I don't think I would join the club but I do know that when Rapha do something, they do it really well.

justinrchan
12-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Okay - I applied and just got an invite. I am not sure the value proposition is there for me. But I wonder how exclusive this really is? Did everyone who has set-up an account with Rapha get an invite to apply? And for those who do apply, who has gotten rejected?

choke
12-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Rapha wins the universe. :rolleyes:Regardless of how one views the company (and I'm no fan), they have to be given credit for finding that niche in the cyclist's psyche and exploiting it to the fullest. What they've done in that regard is brilliant IMO and I would not be surprised if they're used as an example in business schools at some point in the future.

Hepmike
12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I received an invite and my application was 'accepted'. I did have an account established and live in a chapter city, but really have not spent all that much $$ with them. Not sure if I will follow through, however.

christian
12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
This is, bar none, the silliest thing I've ever heard of.

(I'm already in two virtual clubs for worldwide cycling dorks. And neither one of those charges a cover charge...yet)

gdw
12-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Actually it's a great idea. Their costs are minimal and even if a small percentage of their client base joins it will be profitable.

cfox
12-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Actually it's a great idea. Their costs are minimal and even if a small percentage of their client base joins it will be profitable.

great idea for whom? Rapha? Yes. All they have done is package a bunch of phantom "exclusive" benefits into what is, in reality, a prepaid coffee card.

Dead Man
12-05-2014, 09:29 PM
This is, bar none, the silliest thing I've ever heard of.

(I'm already in two virtual clubs for worldwide cycling dorks. And neither one of those charges a cover charge...yet)

great idea for whom? Rapha? Yes. All they have done is package a bunch of phantom "exclusive" benefits into what is, in reality, a prepaid coffee card.

How brilliant it will be for Rapha in the end is yet to be seen. I've been really on the fence about Rapha for a while, but I think this tips the seesaw for me. I don't want to hurt any feelings here, but it kind of makes me nauseous that people will pay hundreds of dollars to be "members" of an over-priced clothing manufacturer "club."

Hepmike
12-06-2014, 02:56 AM
How brilliant it will be for Rapha in the end is yet to be seen. I've been really on the fence about Rapha for a while, but I think this tips the seesaw for me. I don't want to hurt any feelings here, but it kind of makes me nauseous that people will pay hundreds of dollars to be "members" of an over-priced clothing manufacturer "club."

I'd like to hear how this could be anything but a win for Rapha, financially/marketing. Join or don't (no hurt feelings or allegiance here) but how or why would anyone's choice about it leave you feeling "nauseous"? The underlying principle of most any club is to create a feeling of 'exclusivity' (even perhaps at an actual expense). How would it be any different from joining a local country club (at an expense of thousands) for the privilege of playing a round of golf at an expense multiplied by that of a public course? Just as one might argue/justify the added expense of the ride/feel of ti over steel...

merlincustom1
12-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Assos was doing the same nonsense awhile back. Fools and their money are soon parted.

jlwdm
12-06-2014, 07:32 AM
I don't get all of the complaints about the Rapha Club. Just because it doesn't work for you does not make it bad. If you live in a city with a Rapha shop and travel to cities with Rapha shops and get other benefits it could be great.

DFW doesn't even have a shop that sells Rapha, I don't travel to the cities with Rapha shops and I ride custom sized frames so some of the main benefits have no value to me. So i immediately deleted my email invite. That does not mean the Club doesn't work for others though.

Jeff

Black Dog
12-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Rapha has already got some competition. The new Jonestown cycling club offers all the same hyper premium exclusive benefits but their welcome kit includes a cup of the new koolaid rehydration elixir.

R3awak3n
12-06-2014, 07:58 AM
If rapha is right by work and you drink a lot of coffee this is an excellent deal. Membership would pay itself for me in 3 months.

fuzzalow
12-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I did not get an invite to join the ultra exclusive, hoity toity Rapha Cycling Club. (Sniffle sniffle). Which is keeping with the line about clubs as said by Groucho Marx: "Any club that would have me as a member is one I don't want any part of".

I think Rapha fell short on setting the exclusivity vibe because the membership was priced too low. $500 to me seemed like a nice round number to step over to get into this club. The closer to outrageous they can charge is the membership fee that creates the most desirability.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2014, 08:21 AM

Really? You must have a weak stomach.

Buying sram anything makes me nauseous. :)

Having people join this or any club, not really.

http://www.weirdworm.com/the-worlds-10-most-weirdly-exclusive-clubs

wooly
12-06-2014, 09:09 AM
I think I'll start a Wooly Paceline Cycling Club. You can borrow one of my bikes if you're in town and I'll make you a cup of coffee and include a solid IPA or Pinot after the ride.

christian
12-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Wooly Paceline Cycling club, northern Westchester checking in.

We offer a Colnago in size 58, a 56 Zanconato crosser, Gevalia drip coffee, and Coors. But the barista/bike mechanic is a friendly chap.

wooly
12-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Wooly Paceline Cycling club, northern Westchester checking in.

We offer a Colnago in size 58, a 56 Zanconato crosser, Gevalia drip coffee, and Coors. But the barista/bike mechanic is a friendly chap.

Dude I am so IN!

r_mutt
12-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Rapha is doing all the right things. All press is good press.

chasea
12-06-2014, 08:36 PM
4 days to make it 5 pages? You guys must really be warming up to Rapha.

EDS
12-08-2014, 08:45 AM
For those that are looking for bike rental options when traveling, check out spinlister.com

weightshift
12-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Curious for those that received the invite —·was it because you spent a certain amount of money? Or was it random? Akin to those who get invited to purchase the Imperial Works limited edition gear?

Pschnei3
12-09-2014, 02:01 PM
For those that are looking for bike rental options when traveling, check out spinlister.com

thanks for the link!

jlwdm
12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Curious for those that received the invite —·was it because you spent a certain amount of money? Or was it random? Akin to those who get invited to purchase the Imperial Works limited edition gear?

I don't buy much. Probably because I am signed up for their emails.

Jeff

weightshift
12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't buy much. Probably because I am signed up for their emails.

Jeff

I'm on their emails too and have bought a certain amount. Mostly just curious how they determined invites. Two friends received them but they spend a fair amount there.

c77barlage
12-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I assume the invite was based on the email subscriber list. I received an invite and have only purchased a few items over the years.

bcroslin
12-10-2014, 07:01 AM
I received my invite last night. I'm guessing if you've ever bought anything from them you'll get an invite at some point.

I'm not traveling enough to use it so no membership for me.

r_mutt
12-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Oh the irony of grown men complaining about exclusivity of expensive clothing and $250/year clubs while they ride their $5,0000+ custom bikes.

c77barlage
12-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Oh the irony of grown men complaining about exclusivity of expensive clothing and $250/year clubs while they ride their $5,0000+ custom bikes.

Agreed.

ANAO
12-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Agreed.

Yup.

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 01:20 PM

FYI The imperial works line is closing down

christian
12-10-2014, 01:23 PM

That makes sense. This is equally exclusive, and doesn't actually require making any product. :)

weightshift
12-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Interesting. I get the feeling, across the board, with some products coming down in price (Pro team jersey from 210 > 175 [119 on Black Friday] and others), coupled with their Sky sponsorship, plus recent lifestyle wear push, that they're branching out and being stretched some.

Good for growth I suppose, an and curious as to whether they'll move out of their cycling niche into more of a lifestyle brand — for e.g. Outlier has moved more and more into just clothing for athletic people rather than cycling-specific.

pdmtong
12-10-2014, 07:42 PM
That makes sense. This is equally exclusive, and doesn't actually require making any product. :)

exactly, plus the RCC is a $285 annual buy-in

Interesting. I get the feeling, across the board, with some products coming down in price (Pro team jersey from 210 > 175 [119 on Black Friday] and others), coupled with their Sky sponsorship, plus recent lifestyle wear push, that they're branching out and being stretched some.

IMHO they don't have the best inventory forecasting/management nor IT systems commensurate with their current size. Interesting that the PT and SLW jerseys have dropped in price (whoa!) yet the bibs continue to increase. why is it that a few years ago I bought a pair of 3/4 for $145 and now they are $275?

The Imperial Works is a touch niche. Great to be able to buy "exclusives" but how many would one buy? Sure, the guy with $10M net worth doesn't care, but the rest of us plebes (I speak for myself) its real money. By the time the IW club was announced, I had already bought the handful of basic pieces. Bib, jersey, jacket etc. So its circular - had I not already owned those pieces I may have bought the IW but the fact I already bought them is why I was in IW.

So now they are selling off the remainder for 25% off or so. B F D. I could have bought those any time in the past few years for 20% off with survey coupons etc and didn't - so an extra 5-10% doesn't move the needle.

Black Friday the items and now I am sitting up straight.

ANAO
05-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Now that this thing's been around a half of a year or so....does the benefit outweigh the cost?

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?

tooslow4u
06-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Looking for feedback as well.

Is it worth it?

Now that this thing's been around a half of a year or so....does the benefit outweigh the cost?

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?