PDA

View Full Version : Centerlock rotors

bigman
12-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I need some direction on what to buy- I picked up a dyno hub wheel that will be used on some bikes - both have 160 rotors - one has Avid BB7 brakes and one has Hayes CX-5's.
I really do not want an adaptor - which rotor do you recommend ?
I am assuming a Shimano model - but no idea which one.
Thx

d_douglas
12-02-2014, 12:03 PM
If i recall correctly, the IceTech rotors do not work with BB7s. I tried to combine the two a few years ago and composite part of the rotor hit the caliper every wheel rotation. I currently use cheap Shimano centrelock rotors on my BB7 commuter and they work just fine. They are heavy and cheap, however.

I would say you need an alternative if you want light and high performance...

josephr
12-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I need some direction on what to buy- I picked up a dyno hub wheel that will be used on some bikes - both have 160 rotors - one has Avid BB7 brakes and one has Hayes CX-5's.
I really do not want an adaptor - which rotor do you recommend ?
I am assuming a Shimano model - but no idea which one.
Thx

not really sure what you're asking --- but the Shimano Ice Tech are the ones to get.

d_douglas
12-02-2014, 12:17 PM
not really sure what you're asking --- but the Shimano Ice Tech are the ones to get.

Uh-oh, we've got conflicting advice! I know it didn't work for me, but maybe there's a workaround with the Icetech models.

josephr
12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Uh-oh, we've got conflicting advice! I know it didn't work for me, but maybe there's a workaround with the Icetech models.

you may be right about that...haven't tried it with BB7s but I ran the Ice Tech rotors with Hayes hydraulics on my MTB....I guess that's why his question didn't make sense to me as I've not heard of many compatibility issues sort of thought that rotors were rotors were rotors. Maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut and learn something! :)

cp43
12-02-2014, 12:47 PM
The little tab on the BB7 pad is what hits the inner part of the Shimano rotor. If you grind/cut off that tab, they'll work together. I've not done it, but I've seen it done.

Chris

bigman
12-02-2014, 01:47 PM
The Hayes Cx-5's and the Avid BB7's are both mechanical discs if that matters. Just want to buy a 160 centerlock otor that will work with both.
thanks

Mister Donut
12-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Do the Ice, dirt cheap from abroad. I've had luck with my BB7s and Saints.

binouye
12-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I've had experience with the combinations being mentioned. The pads on Avid BB7s are bottom loading, and the tabs for them stick down. They work fine with Avid's own CL rotors (CL-HSX) or lower-end Shimano CL rotors (RT-6x). The IceTech rotors (both RT-8x and RT9x) have longer alloy arms that are riveted to a smaller steel/alloy sandwich. The alloy arms WILL hit the tabs on Avid BB7 brake pads. You can remove the tabs (actually only need to do this to one of them usually) with a hacksaw/dremel/other tool, and it has no effect of the function of the brakes but it does make it a little harder to work on the pads or change them.
The IceTech rotors are quieter than Avid's rotors and work well.

I'm currently running TRP HyRd brakes on 2 bikes, which use Shimano's top-loading pads and thus are perfectly compatible with Shimano's rotors, plus they work better than the Avids. I still have a BB7 on the back of one tandem, but run a plain ISO disc on that wheel (M785 and IceTech 203 in front!).

poff
12-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Formula makes the best CL rotors, but they are also the most expensive ones.