PDA

View Full Version : So, Bruce Springsteen is on ESPN singing U2 songs...

MattTuck
12-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Apparently Bono is still side-lined from the bike accident. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158913&highlight=bono)

And I missed c'mon man, it seems.

F150
12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
And I thought the whole Everest'ing conversation was painful. Pretty sure Bono was lying in his hospital bed, morphine button fully depressed the entire time.

Sorry, not a Boss guy.

guido
12-01-2014, 07:22 PM
My hotel is a block away... Total chaos. Sounds like they are having fun...

93legendti
12-01-2014, 07:23 PM
And I thought the whole Everest'ing conversation was painful. Pretty sure Bono was lying in his hospital bed, morphine button fully depressed the entire time.

Sorry, not a Boss guy.
+1. Calling what he does "singing" is charitable...

rbtmcardle
12-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Sorry, not a Boss guy.

Ha ha... I am a Boss fan.. though you wont ever hear me sing praises of his vocal abilities, the man can write some lyrics that reach everyman and clearly has some remarkable talent to keep the same group mostly relevant and evolving over 40 years.

:beer:

FlashUNC
12-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Born to Run is about as solid an album as there is start to finish. Shameless Boss fan. Nice to see him pinch hit for Bono's injuries, but U2 is kinda terrible.

He's totally slumming it in this case.

Still one of the best live shows I've ever been to.

BumbleBeeDave
12-01-2014, 08:15 PM
. . . was 40 years ago.

Need I say more? :rolleyes:

BBD

54ny77
12-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Not too long from now we might hear Born to Perform Underwater Aerobics.

FlashUNC
12-01-2014, 08:27 PM
. . . was 40 years ago.

Need I say more? :rolleyes:

BBD

I saw him in 2010 in Charlotte. Played for 4 hours nonstop. Never seen anything like it. Only thing that's ever come close is a P-Funk show I went to, but they rotated through band members constantly throughout the night. Bruce & E-Street band didn't. Was unreal.

And unlike a lot of bands and performers his age, his newer stuff actually ain't half bad. Its not Born to Run, but nothing really will be either.

martl
12-02-2014, 05:24 AM
I'd rather listen to the Boss singing U2 than the other way around.

soulspinner
12-02-2014, 06:04 AM

I watched it and hated it.....made me appreciate Bono more:bike:

oldpotatoe
12-02-2014, 09:15 AM

If ya like the 'Boss', you probably love Neil Young..writers for sure, performers, absolutely, singers..not so much.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2014, 09:49 AM
I watched it and hated it.....made me appreciate Bono more:bike:

Probably why Bono called Springsteen. Smart move.

c-record
12-02-2014, 10:29 AM
If ya like the 'Boss', you probably love Neil Young..writers for sure, performers, absolutely, singers..not so much.

Big Neil Young fan. I agree on his vocals but for much of his music his vocals are what makes the songs special. Now Bob Dylan on the other hand...

velomonkey
12-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Warning - Warning - Warning - should you click on the following link you can not unseen it. You've been warned.

I've seen U2, saw them in HS during the joshua tree tour. Great stuff. In my view it was all downhill from there. Bruce is the man - not the best, but damn awesome.

This is The Edge and Bono singing rocking in the free world with Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam are the only people who can sing this song outside of Neil Young - my ears literally bleed when Bono belts out a note during this tune.

You Have Been Warned - Proceed with Caution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wisMwZtuk9E)

Saint Vitus
12-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Big Neil Young fan. I agree on his vocals but for much of his music his vocals are what makes the songs special. Now Bob Dylan on the other hand...

Is the same. Dylan is the third rail, don't touch it...

Rada
12-02-2014, 11:34 AM
I'd rather listen to the Boss singing U2 than the other way around.

Personally if I never hear Bono or BS again I would be pleased.

djg21
12-02-2014, 01:18 PM

Tom Waits? The original gravelly-voiced singer who inspired Springsteen, and who wrote Jersey Girl and other songs that Bruce regularly covers. Closing Time, Blue Valentine, Hollywood & Vine, and Heart of Saturday Night all are classics.

Saint Vitus
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Tom Waits? The original gravelly-voiced singer who inspired Springsteen, and who write Jersey Girl and other songs that Bruce regularly covers. Closing Time, Blue Valentine, Hollywood & Vine, and Heart of Saturday Night all are classics.

Downtown Train was one I kinda figured as a nod towards the Boss, at least with regards to the production values but more so the lyrics and melody.

Tom Waits is a great singer, "Frank's Wild Years" has plenty of examples beyond what most know him for.

jmoore
12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Bruce Springsteen sucks. He is unlistenable. If he was playing in the parking lot at work, I'd take a sick day to avoid it.

I played the Bruce channel on XM for my 9yo and asked his opinion. He said it was terrible and wanted the channel changed.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I grew up in New Jersey, spent my misspent youth and adolescence at the shaw, saw him for fifty cents at the Rutgers student center. We are almost the same age. I have always been amazed at how someone with so little talent has persevered for so long as a superstar. The man has ambition, you have to admit.

Thank the lord he didn't embarrass the Edge and pick up his telecaster and make those awful sounds he thinks is guitar playing.

Chris
12-02-2014, 02:43 PM
The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the floor
As the radio plays...

Do better. I dare you.

azrider
12-02-2014, 02:43 PM
My wife and I won tickets to his concert tour a few years back and we left fifteen minutes after he took the stage. Worst concert I've been to in last decade.

MattTuck
12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
wow, a lot of hate for the boss. I was mostly amused that Bono was MIA because of a bike accident, and that's why I posted. I agree though, the singing wasn't very good, though I'm not familiar with much of his other work.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2014, 03:31 PM
The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
As the radio plays...

Do better. I dare you.

Well I'm goin' out west
Where the wind blows tall
'Cause Tony Franciosa
Used to date my ma
They got some money out there
They're giving it away
I'm gonna do what I want
Do what I want
And I'm gonna get paid

Little brown sausages
Lying in the sand
I ain't no extra baby
I'm a leading man
Well my parole officer
Will be proud of me
With my Olds 88
And the devil on a leash
My Olds 88
And the devil on a leash

Well I know karate, Voodoo too
I'm gonna make myself available to you
I don't need no make up
I got real scars
I got hair on my chest
I look good without a shirt

Tom Waits

93legendti
12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Dancing In The Dark...sell out.

If he had only quit after Born To Run...

Is it better to burn out, or fade away?

victoryfactory
12-02-2014, 04:21 PM
The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
As the radio plays...

Do better. I dare you.

"Roll down the window
and let the wind blow
back your hair"

some of his compositions give me chills to this day.He was a better singer 20 years ago for sure.
And though he seems like a sweaty vein popping caricature at this point, he
hit a nerve deep in my soul even though I don't want to admit it sometimes

"Just like spirits in the night"

Last night? uh... not so much

VF

54ny77
12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
most awesome parody, sort of, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHV0LLvhXM

Corso
12-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Early years: Saw Springsteen at Springfield college back in the late 70s.
Saw U2 play at Brown University’s hockey rink back in the early 80s.

Saw each of them years latter, when they both “made it”.

Glad I saw them both when they were hungry.

Now: Sick of Bono preaching on how to save the world, while his investments aren’t always so “green”.

Bruce is now the “boss”, not the “worker”. His politics are from a viewpoint he used to have, not where he sits now.

Example of shark-jump:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/famous-names-horsing-article-1.1954745

Just my opinion, not looking for a debate...

martl
12-03-2014, 03:01 AM
Both BS and U2 made great songs, just U2's sound better when someone else sings them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKrCJvPYqfw

soulspinner
12-03-2014, 04:38 AM
both bs and u2 made great songs, just u2's sound better when someone else sings them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrcjvpyqfw

+1