PDA

View Full Version : Chris King Classic tight fit?

phcollard
12-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Howdy folks,

I just built a nice pair of wheels with CK Classic hubs that I purchased used but never built.

I was quite surprized that the fit for Shimano Ultegra skewers was very tight. The rear wheel is OK but I really have to push the front skewer so that it goes through. And once it's there it is not moving much.

Also the Ultegra cassette wasn't an easy thing neither. I had to push the sprockets quite hard and one by one. My experience with Shimano hubs or any other brand is that the cassette just drops in place in one piece and without any force. I'm not looking forward to the day where I will have to replace that cassette!

Is it normal? Any tip? Anything I missed?

Cheers,

Ph.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Howdy folks,

I just built a nice pair of wheels with CK Classic hubs that I purchased used but never built.

I was quite surprized that the fit for Shimano Ultegra skewers was very tight. The rear wheel is OK but I really have to push the front skewer so that it goes through. And once it's there it is not moving much.

Also the Ultegra cassette wasn't an easy thing neither. I had to push the sprockets quite hard and one by one. My experience with Shimano hubs or any other brand is that the cassette just drops in place in one piece and without any force. I'm not looking forward to the day where I will have to replace that cassette!

Is it normal? Any tip? Anything I missed?

Cheers,

Ph.

Is the QR straight, or slightly bent?

Raised ridges and such on the freehub body from a previous cassette install? A file will help this.

phcollard
12-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Is the QR straight, or slightly bent?

Raised ridges and such on the freehub body from a previous cassette install? A file will help this.

Nope. It's all new stuff.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Nope. It's all new stuff.

OD of the QR bigger than others? I know some aluminum FH bodies have a pretty snug fit, to minimize gouging up..grease on outside of FH body when ya put it on?

phcollard
12-01-2014, 06:58 AM
OD of the QR bigger than others? I know some aluminum FH bodies have a pretty snug fit, to minimize gouging up..grease on outside of FH body when ya put it on?

Will try that. Or I will just sand a bit off that skewer axle I guess. Thanks Peter!

Clancy
12-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Shouldn't have to grease free hub body. I had the same issue w a brand new Hed wheel. I contacted Hed, they asked me to send it to them and they sent me a new one. No more problems.

As fas as the QR, I'd try a different one. If it still fits snug, I'd ask them about that as well.

12-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I use Dura Ace QR's and they are always very tight going through Chris King hubs -- both Classics and R45's. Every time.

As for Ultegra cassettes, again the fit is very tight on King free hubs. Dura Ace go on smoothly but I think Ultegra cassettes with the way they're assembled fit just a bit tighter -- not a problem on Shimano hubs and not on some other brands, but tight on Kings.

mktng
12-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Light lube on freehub. Had the skewer problem on an r45 hubset of mine with all shimano skewers. Never had qr issue with my classic hubset. Weird.

oldpotatoe
12-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Shouldn't have to grease free hub body. I had the same issue w a brand new Hed wheel. I contacted Hed, they asked me to send it to them and they sent me a new one. No more problems.

As fas as the QR, I'd try a different one. If it still fits snug, I'd ask them about that as well.

Biggest reason for grease on other FH bodies that aren't this snug, it prevents creaking. But it will allow it to go on easier. I doubt it's a warranty gig but...

mktng
12-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Not even... One itsy bitsy dab of tenacious oil?? :(:(:(