PDA

View Full Version : Last bits for a new wheelset

kgbianchi
11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
All,

Thank you for all of the input on hub recommendations for a new wheel build. I have decided to use modern record hubs with my Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole rims.

Now I need to narrow in on spokes, I plan to go 3X or 2x with Sapim cx rays or DT revolution front and non-drive with competition drive. Brass nipples unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

I will be using these for road/gravel riding and eventually gluing on cx tires to race cx.

I am 170-175 lbs and easy on wheels.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Thanks Much!

pcxmbfj
12-01-2014, 05:37 AM
I've never been a fan of aluminum nipples and gravel in the mix is another negative IMO.

Neither has my advice been considered very good but I wanted to give your post some attention.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2014, 06:18 AM
All,

Thank you for all of the input on hub recommendations for a new wheel build. I have decided to use modern record hubs with my Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole rims.

Now I need to narrow in on spokes, I plan to go 3X or 2x with Sapim cx rays or DT revolution front and non-drive with competition drive. Brass nipples unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

I will be using these for road/gravel riding and eventually gluing on cx tires to race cx.

I am 170-175 lbs and easy on wheels.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Thanks Much!

NO reason to do 2 cross on a 32hole wheel. The 'weight' difference is like one 225mm spoke. Gravel, cross, aluminum nipps do nothing for you either, in terms of improvement. They do fail more often tho, there's that.

You could use CX-Ray. Lots of $ tho for not much performance gain, if any at all. Same with REVs or Lasers.

Sounds like a great wheelset. I did the same-ish, but with 36h, and Campagnolo tubular rims..and DT REVs, front, left side rear..brass nipps. 3 cross of course.

oldguy00
12-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Are you building them yourself?
I've built most of my own aluminum wheels. The one time I tried using DT revs, I ruined them as they ended up stretching....lol.
I stick to DT Competitions now, and brass nipples. The difference in weight is a non-issue, and it makes for a strong build.

Regarding 2x vs 3x, I usually just figured out what length I needed for each, and then went to the LBS and saw what they had in stock. But if you have access to any spoke length, then I'd go with Oldpotatoes advice!