PDA

View Full Version : Mangled Pedal Threads Question

pcxmbfj
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Threads are kind of mangled on my XT cranks but I can get a pedal inserted.
Drive side though don't see that it matters.
Should I take it to be helicoiled now or just ride it until and if a pedal won't stay in?

bjf
11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
The cranks are softer metal than the pedal spindle, so you probably have cleaned up the threads by screwing in the pedal. I'd leave it alone until the pedal starts wiggling in the crank.

Ralph
11-30-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm not a machinist, and don't have chasing tools for this, but I have cleaned up threads like that by buying a bolt of that exact same threading, and screwing it in from the back side of the arm. Just recently did this on an old steel frame where the drop out tab was screwed up. Screwed it in from back side and got some threads working. Just went to Ace and bought a bolt. Gotta get size and pitch correct. On pedal, maybe could screw in pedal from the back to clean up threads.

malcolm
11-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Take the pedal back out and see what the threads look like and see how it goes back in. If the threads look better and it comes out and goes back in ok and tightens up alright then ride it. If not heli-coil it. I'd rather fix it than have a pedal come out in the middle of the woods.

ultraman6970
11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I was going to say the same than ralph, to fix that and because usualy the cranks have a few untouched threads at the opposite side, is to make a chaser using an old steel pedal axle and getting it in from the back of the crankset. Use a lot of grease tho.

pcxmbfj
11-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm not a machinist, and don't have chasing tools for this, but I have cleaned up threads like that by buying a bolt of that exact same threading, and screwing it in from the back side of the arm. Just recently did this on an old steel frame where the drop out tab was screwed up. Screwed it in from back side and got some threads working. Just went to Ace and bought a bolt. Gotta get size and pitch correct. On pedal, maybe could screw in pedal from the back to clean up threads.

Did this with an old pedal spindle.

Is there a worry other than getting stranded on a ride like could it prohibit the future use of a helicoil in some way?

I'm thinking not.

pcxmbfj
11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Take the pedal back out and see what the threads look like and see how it goes back in. If the threads look better and it comes out and goes back in ok and tightens up alright then ride it. If not heli-coil it. I'd rather fix it than have a pedal come out in the middle of the woods.

This is what I'd like to do.

Ralph
11-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Did this with an old pedal spindle.

Is there a worry other than getting stranded on a ride like could it prohibit the future use of a helicoil in some way?

I'm thinking not.

I think I would see if it would take normal tightening TQ, and if so, ride it. But I ride road bikes, don't know about your use. You probably stress the pedals more than i do riding off road.

zmudshark
11-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Pedal taps are not all that expensive, and pay for themselves in one use on a good crank, if it's not too buggered.

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Threads are kind of mangled on my XT cranks but I can get a pedal inserted.
Drive side though don't see that it matters.
Should I take it to be helicoiled now or just ride it until and if a pedal won't stay in?

I'd have a bike shop run a tap thru it, inside to outside. If ya can get it tight, good to go. Matters cuz if non drive side, left threaded. It's surprising how many bike shops don't have a LH pedal tap.

pakora
11-30-2014, 06:02 PM
I had a mangled XT NDS crankarm die warming up for a cross race (not one of my prouder racing or wrenchly moments). Pedal just fell out, threads were all gone when I ran to quickly retighten it.

So I sure wouldn't want that to happen in the woods or miles from nowhere. I had a set of DA cranks helicoiled 3 or 4 years ago and rode them for years without worry. Turned out the shop that did it also locktited the pedal threads, but I didn't when I changed pedals, and the fit is still tight and secure. I can't remember what they charged me, but it was next to nothing.

bikinchris
11-30-2014, 08:34 PM
I'd have a bike shop run a tap thru it, inside to outside. If ya can get it tight, good to go. Matters cuz if non drive side, left threaded. It's surprising how many bike shops don't have a LH pedal tap.

+1
It's also depressing to see how many shops don't have a torque wrench.

zmudshark
11-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Park taps are all of $40 for the pair. Go inside out, as Peter said. Easy-peasy.

LouDeeter
12-01-2014, 09:09 AM
If it is just slightly loose, I'd wrap some plumbers tape around the pedal threads and see if that takes care of the slack.