PDA

View Full Version : MTB - 142 x 12 rear end and standard QR front?

Antonio_B
11-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Seems weird, but I already have a nice standard QR fork and am really close to pulling the trigger on a carbon frame w/ a 142 x 12 rear end. Anyone else have a similar build? Would the bike feel odd on the trail with such a stiff rear end and not-so-stiff front end?

foo_fighter
11-29-2014, 11:42 PM
You can always upgrade to thru-bolt for the front and get an in-between stiff front end. 5 minute job if you have a DT swiss hub.

Seems weird, but I already have a nice standard QR fork and am really close to pulling the trigger on a carbon frame w/ a 142 x 12 rear end. Anyone else have a similar build? Would the bike feel odd on the trail with such a stiff rear end and not-so-stiff front end?

theprep
11-30-2014, 06:58 AM
I would say, it won't feel weird. My 2014 Stumpjumper World Cup came with a rigid front carbon fork with a QR and 142/12 rear. The steering was very precise with the ridid fork.

Can't comment on suspension fork with QR.

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 07:16 AM

I'd say how stiff the front end has more to do with the fork, than the hub type.

BUT perhaps the fork and the front hub could be thru axle modified?

But buy it, ride it and then decide.