PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Arenberg and Roubaix tubulars on sale

rwsaunders
11-29-2014, 08:54 PM
$78 and $74 respectively for these tires from Ribble with the xmas11 code...free shipping too. I have beaten the hell out of a pair of Roubaix's since late Winter and I don't oftfen recall seeing these tires priced under $100.

ik2280
11-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Are the Veloflex Arenberg or Roubaix overkill for general road racing?

b021c
11-29-2014, 10:23 PM
No - they're awesome. They're supple, grippy & overall comfy in my experience and, at this price, worth the taste test.
Many thanks rwsaunders for the hook up - that is a bargain.

ik2280
11-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Cool, might have to grab a few...

Thanks for the heads up!

Caballero
11-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Nm !

ultraman6970
11-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Anybody got the damm code to work???

I'm just checking the site and for over 100 you get free shipping but the xmas11 code doesnt apply to my dreamed stuff I have in the basket, anybody got the code to work?

Thanks.

rwsaunders
11-30-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm just checking the site and for over 100 you get free shipping but the xmas11 code doesnt apply to my dreamed stuff I have in the basket, anybody got the code to work?

Thanks.

Some gear is exempt from the discount but it worked for me for the tires and other misc. items.

tele
11-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks.
MAKE SURE ITS ALL CAPS

thats how I got it to work :banana:

ultraman6970
11-30-2014, 12:13 PM
it works now but looks like you have to buy items that are more than 60 pounds...

For example I had like 20 vittoria rally tubulars that is like 300 bucks and the coupon did not work, added 1 veloflex arenberg and the coupon worked right away... weird.

ultraman6970
11-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Confirmed, cleaned the thing, added again like 10 the 17 bucks tubulars and nothing, added anything that is like 100 bucks and worked right away.. either way 17 bucks for a rally is a super good price.

Hmm interesting, cant get the math worked out even with the dicount they say, weird :/

Dead Man
11-30-2014, 12:41 PM
How do the ralleys stack up?? Strictly flats training only, I'm guessing? How can anything worth riding be so cheap?

buldogge
11-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Spend the extra and buy some Corsa Elites…

-Mark in St. Louis

How do the ralleys stack up?? Strictly flats training only, I'm guessing? How can anything worth riding be so cheap?

teleguy57
11-30-2014, 01:00 PM
spend the extra and buy some corsa elites…

-mark in st. Louis

+100

Dead Man
11-30-2014, 02:39 PM
That's what I'm rolling now - also a great value, at least at the price I paid. Which is why I wonder how anything else could be a better value

ultraman6970
11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
You are talking with a guy (me) that is not racing no more, ride like twice a week during the summer... so a tubular can last me a lot of time, then the dude (me) doesnt need like 100 bucks tubulars to start with.

17 bucks for a rally is great price, stores have them here like for 45 bucks a pop, no way at that price if you want to test them.

For 17 bucks for training IMO if they last a season you might be ok. Once the rubber starts erasing those tubulars in specific starts with the punctures, thats the indication it is time to go for new ones, again... for 17 bucks is not that even worth your time to get them fixed. If the tubular is almost new and you puncture it is due to bad luck, time to fix it. But if they are 3 to 5 months old of training better toss them, even vittoria clinchers are like that, when they get old you start getting punctures.

I'll be honest w/u, never had problems with rain or wet roads in any of the good or cheap crap I get sometimes even when I was racing... (for the record some guys have adhesion problems with 300 bucks tubbies and in dry conditions, so is super relative to the rider and its technique what are you asking IMO) but maybe a set of panaracer ones I got like in 1985 that i was able to make them slip in wet roads even pedaling seated in the flats, imagine the cartoons :D they sucked. Never used panaracers ever again.

For training my fav tubular was a 290 grams 25 or 28 alvarez tubular, made in argentina, my last pair had to trash it unpunctured after almost 3 years of training rides, after 10 years the crap was still working but dried as paper. THe rubber was made of recycled jet airplane wheels. The rest of the tubular was just cotton and silk. Insanely nice and cheap. Saddly the factory closed 20 years ago, their tubulars were even more straight than vittorias.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2014, 06:43 AM
That's what I'm rolling now - also a great value, at least at the price I paid. Which is why I wonder how anything else could be a better value

Again as well. I get 'em at about wholesale, which means about what some get 'em MO/UK. BUT 'discounted' at $75 a tire? I guess Veloflex are keen and all and lots of coffee shop points but yeegads, a tire for a bike that is more $ than a tire for my car. Cotton, handmade(even Asian hands), 290 TPI, butyl tube..done, done and done, Vittoria Corsa Elite, 25c.