PDA

View Full Version : Paul's Hubs?

buldogge
11-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Hey guys...Anyone have any experience with Paul's hubs?

I'm gonna build a fixed/SS wheelset onto a pair of RED Ambrosio Excellence rims (thanx for the match, Chris!) and am planning on using the High Flange fixed/free rear.

For the front, I was considering using the regular FHUB instead of the matching High Flange...weighs 100g less.

Rear will be 130mm bolt-on BTW.

Thoughts/Experiences???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

thirdgenbird
11-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Here is a member with a rear one

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147907

I wouldn't worry much about the front if the rear is working

Sounds cool by the way.

I would also consider white industries. I love mine. The ability to switch between standard and eccentric, 126, 130, and 135 also makes it handy. I haven't seen them, but they also sell a skewer ends for those not wanting bolts.

AustinHorse
11-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Gotta say, fixed free is a pet peeve of mine.

EricEstlund
11-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Paul makes some great stuff. You'd be well served.

Just a note, the FHUB is 128g and QR, the front track is 178g and is a bolt on. I prefer the matching set, but that is a personal matter. Both work well.

buldogge
11-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Eric...I think Paul lists the High Flange front at a heavier weight...???

Paul makes some great stuff. You'd be well served.

Just a note, the FHUB is 128g and QR, the front track is 178g and is a bolt on. I prefer the matching set, but that is a personal matter. Both work well.

I have a DA7600 track tubular set already...this will be an "everyday" clincher set.

EricEstlund
11-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't have them on a scale, I just lifted those numbers from Pauls web site. I run the HF full set on a bike- I couldn't say the hub ever felt heavy ;).

AngryScientist
11-29-2014, 06:01 PM
paul stuff is top notch, and replacement bearings/spares are easily available, making them pretty easy to own.

ergott
11-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Another vote for Paul.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-XkHLHsj/0/X2/Paul%20Enve03-X2.jpg

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-sCmkH9F/0/X2/Paul%20Enve02-X2.jpg

buldogge
11-29-2014, 06:36 PM
My mistake…I guess I mis-read the specs…thought it was 200g+. Probably go matchy-matchy for 50g.

TA
-Mark

I don't have them on a scale, I just lifted those numbers from Pauls web site. I run the HF full set on a bike- I couldn't say the hub ever felt heavy ;).

bironi
11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
I just bought a pair in the classifieds recently. I have them built up for my summer fixed. Looking forward to giving them a try, and the forecast is for cold, but dry. That doesn't happen in my nook very often this time of the year.

thirdgenbird
11-29-2014, 09:58 PM
My mistake…I guess I mis-read the specs…thought it was 200g+. Probably go matchy-matchy for 50g.

TA
-Mark

After seeing Eric's picture, I vote Paul high flange front and rear. That is very hot. They should look great with your rims

velotrack
11-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Those are Ryun's old wheels, huh? Nice!

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Why? I ran 16 fixed but if I went too far, got wrecked or toasted, could turn the wheel around and come back with a 17t SS freewheel. Not for the track or anything but. For the 'street', a good idea, IMHO.

thirdgenbird
11-30-2014, 06:17 AM
I ride 42x16 fixed with an 18t WI freehub on the opposite side.

AustinHorse
11-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Why? I ran 16 fixed but if I went too far, got wrecked or toasted, could turn the wheel around and come back with a 17t SS freewheel. Not for the track or anything but. For the 'street', a good idea, IMHO.

that 17t fw will work just fine threaded on to the fixed side as well

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 07:27 AM
that 17t fw will work just fine threaded on to the fixed side as well

The 'fixed' side has the 16t track cog. And yes, a fixed/fixed can have a SS freewheel on the other side..works, not ideal, particularly when there are so many fixed/free hubs out there. My point is to have both, when I make the mistake of getting cooked on a fixie ride..and want to 'coast' some coming back..hence the 2 sided rear hub.

AustinHorse
11-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey if it works for you that's awesome! I just find myself wishing i could easily go back and forth between fixed cogs more easily and I consider the industry default of fixed/free to represent a false choice.

binouye
11-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I've got a rear Paul fixed high flange and it has been great. Another nice thing about the Paul's hub is that you can change axles easily. I've used it with both 120 and 130 spacing, and while you wouldn't want to swap axles every day it helps future-proof the hub if you might get a new frame someday.

I picked up a WI Eno here on the forum recently, to try riding fixed on a frame with vertical dropouts. Works well, except that I can't use the rear brake anymore, as the eccentric hub rotates the rim down too far for the pads when the chain is tight. Maybe with a long reach rear brake...

thirdgenbird
11-30-2014, 11:16 AM
I picked up a WI Eno here on the forum recently, to try riding fixed on a frame with vertical dropouts. Works well, except that I can't use the rear brake anymore, as the eccentric hub rotates the rim down too far for the pads when the chain is tight. Maybe with a long reach rear brake...

http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp

dbh
11-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Folks throw around the term bombproof with aplomb, but these things are as close to indestructible as you can get. I've got two pairs.

buldogge
12-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I just confirmed the weights with Paul…

225g F and 290g rear (with nuts/bolts/washers/whatever)

Double checking the FHUB weight, now…

-Mark

don'TreadOnMe
12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Samesies. Paul Components customer for a LONG time, and have NEVER had an issue/break/weird thing/'aw that sucks!', EVER.
And Paul and his crew are super to deal w/.
Really f'ing hard to go wrong w/Paul stuff.

FlashUNC
12-02-2014, 01:38 PM
If his hubs are anything like his QRs and his brakes and levers, then its quality stuff.

buldogge
12-02-2014, 04:12 PM
At a ~100g difference, I think I'll use a QR FHUB front.

-Mark

EricEstlund
12-02-2014, 06:03 PM
By the time you add a QR, it may be closer to 50-60g. :)

Both are nice- you should be happy either way.

buldogge
12-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Actually Eric…a valid point that had not really entered my thought process.

Having said that, this is also gone be the bike's "street wheels"…so…maybe a QR would be better…???

-Mark

By the time you add a QR, it may be closer to 50-60g. :)

Both are nice- you should be happy either way.

thirdgenbird
12-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Actually Eric…a valid point that had not really entered my thought process.

Having said that, this is also gone be the bike's "street wheels"…so…maybe a QR would be better…???

-Mark

As much as I want to see you use the matching hubs, I am very glad I went with a qr front on my fixed gear. I use a euro style stand that requires taking the front wheel off, I haul my bikes in the wife's car with the front wheel off, and I am purchasing a fork mount roof rack for my car. Bolts would be a pain.

mosca
12-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I love Paul Components, just bear in mind that they use a 44mm chainline so if you're finicky you may have to make some adjustments.
And use the matching front hub, you'll never notice the weight difference. And you're already carrying a wrench for the rear wheel, right?:)

buldogge
12-02-2014, 07:41 PM
My thinking as well, Casey…

-Mark

As much as I want to see you use the matching hubs, I am very glad I went with a qr front on my fixed gear. I use a euro style stand that requires taking the front wheel off, I haul my bikes in the wife's car with the front wheel off, and I am purchasing a fork mount roof rack for my car. Bolts would be a pain.

thirdgenbird
12-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I love Paul Components, just bear in mind that they use a 44mm chainline so if you're finicky you may have to make some adjustments.
And use the matching front hub, you'll never notice the weight difference. And you're already carrying a wrench for the rear wheel, right?:)

I carry a 6mm for the rear wheel, but I only have to get it out for flats. The front wheel comes off every time I transport, clean or work on the bike.