PDA

View Full Version : Colorad III ride report

saab2000
03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
For those who are not familiar, the bike is pictured in the Serotta picture forum.

First ride and I love this thing. The other rides weren't real rides. This was a real ride. I did about 40+ miles today as hard as I really could, given my pathetic fitness.

The first thing that really struck me was the smoothness of the bike. The road surface is smoother under this than my other bikes, including my Merckx Ti. Bumps were less jarring as well.

The second thing that struck me was the balance of the bike. The seat angle is slightly steeper than my Merckx or my Strong. I guess Serotta uses a 73. Seems to work fine. I have a 13 cm stem and deep drop Deda bars. The reach is nice and I can ride on the hoods quite nicely. It seems a bit shorter reach for the tops.

I am undecided about the slightly higher-than-normal bar position. This bike is a bit taller than my other ones and has a slight head tube extension. I will say that climbing while seated this almost seems to be a plus. But the rest of the time, and in the drops, I am not sure. May just take some time to get used to.

There is a bit of BB flex, but not an objectionable amount.

Were I do get another one (never say never......) I would consider 57 cm in order to have a less tall bike. Maybe. Also, I would probably try to spec a slightly stiffer grade of tubeset.

The handling is flawless, at least for the ride I did today and seems to have no vices. My Grandis is quicker, but also very stable, but this one seems to be just as stable. No-hands riding is a breeze, even over rough surfaces. It creates confidence.

Bottom line: We have a winner folks. I like it.

Bring on the questions!

Fixed
03-24-2006, 06:45 PM
cool bro it is a very nice looking bike i.m.h.o. cheers

saab2000
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
It's my first Serotta and I have to admit that they may well actually know what they are doing. The stock geometry is very nice.

Fixed
03-24-2006, 09:45 PM
bro i just looked at it again it is really nice i.m.h.o. ..one thing if you come to fla. put on the extra cage cheers

cs124
03-25-2006, 05:07 AM
In an earlier thread you commented that your Ti Merckx, while riding smoothly and handling well felt "slow" when you tried to accelerate.

In this report you note that the CIII has some flex. Does that flex make this bike feel slow? If not, what do you think the differences between the two are?

BTW, I really like that bike...all business. Some deep carbon wheels would really complete the picture.

Enjoy.

saab2000
03-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Very good question. The funny thing is that the Merckx does not seem to flex as much, but feels wooden, especially when climbing out of the saddle. The Serotta is steel and all I can think is that the steel is like a spring and gives back the energy. Ti is not like a spring.

I will say that the Merckx has been markedly improved by changing out the Look HSC3 wet noodle fork for a Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

You are right about one feeling slower than the other (perceived only, probably not quantifiably so). I can't explain why. I would love to try a Legend made like my Merckx. Maybe it would be better. The Merckx seems like a fine bike, just one I don't want to have to go really hard with. The Serotta seems like a bike that will be more rewarding to really push.

Can't explain why, other than the materials. It has been told to me that Ti is not a very good material for a race bike and my Merckx has race bike geometry and is set up like a race bike.