PDA

View Full Version : Best insoles?

oldguy00
11-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Hey all, I'm giving Bont shoes a try again for triathlon, using their sub-9 shoes. Given their 'empty tub' design, I'll need some aftermarket insoles.
I've used Specialized blue's in the past.
What are some better ones out there now, preferably that allow some customization via pieces you can add or take away (not interested in heat molding insoles).

Thanks!

John H.
11-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Make sure that you factor the insoles into the shoe fit.
Bont shoes have a really thin insole so a substantial insole could change the fit.
Also Bont soles have much built in arch support so you may not need as much support in the insole as you might think.
Specialized are good insoles and widely available.

oldguy00
11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I took the original black insole out and did the initial heat mold wit an older pair of blue specialized insoles, but they are cut a bit short for these shoes. So thought I'd see what else is out there.
My LBS's don't really carry any.
Are any of the superfeet insoles good for cycling? I have an old pair of the green, but the plastic piece on them is too bulky for these shoes.

ultraman6970
11-29-2014, 11:49 AM
The arch area is hurting too oldguy???

I did not like the bont insoles because the material is not porous, after every ride my feet were just wet together with the insoles. Since I got a shoe that was tad smaller too what I did was make my own insoles with a cork sheet from home depot, you can get those in different thicknesses. That gave just the right room I needed that wasnt that much either.

The advantage of cork is that you can cut it, add material here and there till you get them right. Besides after like 3 rides you feet are going to get imprinted in the insole big time.

Arches and 2 toes gave me kind'a a problem at the beginning, the pain in the arches I fix it smoothing the arch area in my insole by adding more material under the insole arch area so it contours like my arch feet, and the 2 toes i had problems with fixed them by cutting like 3 mms under those toes because they sit lower than the other ones.

IMO super feet and any insole that has a hard non flexible arch support wont work too good with bont shoes because of the bont's super high and stiff arch support, not that the shoe needs even more of what it has already. If you have some cork moving around give it a try. I have esoles, soles and the specialized ones moving around and all of them for me are too bulky for being used with bont and their concept, for a non supportive shoe are perfect, but since bont doesn't lack of support at all add more stuff in there for me at least did not work, felt weird and way too tight.

Darn shoe is so nice that can be used w/o insoles, thats why the 2mm cork insoles I made worked perfect.

Hope this helps.

firerescuefin
11-29-2014, 11:54 AM
https://secure.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds/thin-sport/

I have been very happy with these and this brand in general. Have them in my bike shoes and another variant in my work boots. Purchased at REI. If you buy them, bring the shoe you're going to use it in for the best fit.

Ralph
11-29-2014, 12:06 PM
The yellow Super Feet is the one for tight fitting shoes where you want the heel to sit low in the shoe. It's advertised for cycling shoes, X county ski, stuff like that.

I use Super Feet a lot. Blue for most shoes, Green for my hiking boots, and black for some dress shoes. Yellow in some Shimano SPD riding shoes. NONE for my Specialized road shoes.

Superfeet work for me, and the amount I pronate. I like how the arch support is supported by the plastic, so it stays up. I don't like arch supports of foam, when after a while they "squish" down.

Different kind of feet and feet problems might work best with some other brands. I know Dicks Sporting Goods and to some smaller degree Sports Authority have some sample insoles you can try in their store.

For many yars I used custom orthotics bought from my foot Doctor. And in so doing learned a lot about what my needs are. So now I think I do just as well buying off the shelf ones for about 1/10 the price of the custom ones.

cash05458
11-29-2014, 05:16 PM
I have esoles and like them alot...

gngroup
11-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Superfeet Carbon insoles. (I believe these replaced their yellow cycling specific insoles).

bcroslin
11-29-2014, 05:26 PM
I swore by the Pearl Izumi's but they've gotten impossible to find in my size (46-47) so I'm using Shimanos.

Anyone switched from PI's and found a better insole?

quattro
11-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I have esoles and like them alot...

I have custom esoles, very impressed with the product, still breaking them in, but they are solving some persistent foot issues I've been dealing with for years.

oldguy00
11-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Superfeet Carbon insoles. (I believe these replaced their yellow cycling specific insoles).

Thanks all. Think I'll try the above first, since some of the local running shops carry them and will let me try putting them in the shoes.

Cheers

aaronf
11-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Another eSole recommendation.
Interchangeable arch height supports and metatarsal buttons.
I've higher arches than the highest (green, I think) Specialized support and am not maxed out on the eSoles.

cash05458
11-29-2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2013/01/arch-support-esoles-vs-g8s-and-superfeet/

very good review by Steve Hogg on some of the different ones out there...

dekindy
11-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I like the Fizik heat moldable insole; not sure if it will fit but they are better than customs that I paid a lot more for than the Fizik.