PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Star Wars Trailer!!

veggieburger
11-28-2014, 10:27 AM
My inner nerd is SOOOO pumped, even though it's still a year away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Thinking of this as my next tattoo:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gq1dJNTC0PI/S_3Jv_ISaAI/AAAAAAAAABs/xTUpDR8raww/s1600/star-wars-nerd-cap.jpg
Ok, maybe not..

marsh
11-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Other than the infamous bitorrent version, is there any way at all to see the unaltered original?

Tony T
11-28-2014, 10:51 AM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
. . . knew the projectionist at the local theater, so we got to watch the Kansas city premier of Star Wars from the projectionists booth. This was the big local "art" theater with a huge screen, and he was a real geek and had the booth all wired up for sound. In that first scene when the giant, rumbling Imperial cruiser comes in from the top of the screen, the place shook and there were screams. It was spectacular.

I'm not going to stand in line all night, but I'm really looking forward to this.

Also, this showed up after SW trailer on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY

Batman vs. Darth Vader? . . . I'm not normally a fan of mashups, but this was incredibly well-made. Somebody spent some serious time and money on this one.

BBD

FlashUNC
11-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Other than the infamous bitorrent version, is there any way at all to see the unaltered original?

Nope. Unless you've got a copy of the mid-90s VHS re-release before the CGI updated versions came out.

There's been some talk Disney will re-release the unedited versions on Blu Ray at some point. If it happens, maybe 2015 before the new film is out?

CunegoFan
11-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Not looking forward to it. A Disney Star Wars has the potential to be even worse than the Lucas prequels.

vqdriver
11-28-2014, 11:46 AM
I have the vhs versions somewhere. I think they were the last of the original cuts.

oldguy00
11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Not looking forward to it. A Disney Star Wars has the potential to be even worse than the Lucas prequels.

Or maybe has the potential to be amazing?
I only like the original three movies so far, but holding out hope for this new one!
I want to see Jurassic World too.

Tony T
11-28-2014, 12:22 PM
…holding out hope for this new one!

"A New Hope"

oldpotatoe
11-28-2014, 01:00 PM

I'll let ya know how good they are.

JJ Abrams directs, no slouch.

Louis
11-28-2014, 01:11 PM

The Seven Dwarfs destroy the Death Star and save the day!

wooly
11-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Guys, I am totally IN. I agree the prequels to some extent were disappointments. But having the cast of original characters come back is exciting you have to admit.

When the original Star Wars came out I was 8 years old. I dragged my mom, aunts or anyone who would take me to see the movie 11 times in the theater. Total geek.

gemship
11-28-2014, 03:35 PM
. . . knew the projectionist at the local theater, so we got to watch the Kansas city premier of Star Wars from the projectionists booth. This was the big local "art" theater with a huge screen, and he was a real geek and had the booth all wired up for sound. In that first scene when the giant, rumbling Imperial cruiser comes in from the top of the screen, the place shook and there were screams. It was spectacular.

I'm not going to stand in line all night, but I'm really looking forward to this.

Also, this showed up after SW trailer on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY

Batman vs. Darth Vader? . . . I'm not normally a fan of mashups, but this was incredibly well-made. Somebody spent some serious time and money on this one.

BBD

That youtube movie/mashup was awesome:banana:

CunegoFan
11-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Isn't that the guy who directed a Star Trek movie where Kirk gets kicked out of Star Fleet Academy and then twenty minutes later is made captain of the fleet's flagship? He does this by employing a technique for promotion that, I am sure, is standard in the U.S. Navy, namely taunting the captain until he loses his cool, at which point the captain will quit and leave the taunter in command of the ship. Evidently there is not a single other person in the average Star Fleet crew who outranks someone who washed out of officer's training.

FlashUNC
11-28-2014, 05:59 PM

JJ has more hits than misses, that's for sure. But his misses are pretty big ones.

gomango
11-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Isn't that the guy who directed a Star Trek movie where Kirk gets kicked out of Star Fleet Academy and then twenty minutes later is made captain of the fleet's flagship? He does this by employing a technique for promotion that, I am sure, is standard in the U.S. Navy, namely taunting the captain until he loses his cool, at which point the captain will quit and leave the taunter in command of the ship. Evidently there is not a single other person in the average Star Fleet crew who outranks someone who washed out of officer's training.

Suspend reality. :)

Louis
11-28-2014, 07:55 PM
If we don't mind turning this into the holiday movie review thread:

Last night I went to see ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1’ with some friends. (Dragged to see it would be more accurate.)

To avoid wasting any more time on this piece of junk, I'll put it simply: This is a terrible movie. Save your time and your money and stay home to clean your daily driver's chain, link by link, including between the plates, with a pipe cleaner, then with Q-tips. That will be more enjoyable and more productive.

Yes, it has some great actors (with Philip Seymour Hoffman #1 on the list) but even they can't redeem it. Senseless boredom most of the time, interrupted by explosions every now and then, and plodding development throughout.

ultraman6970
11-28-2014, 08:03 PM
The problem is that many of those books for teenagers simply sucks as a movie, the previous movie was ok, a friend told me that the last one was just bad...

Remember the vampires movies, I would had been the wwarewolf kid I would had killed that stupid b...h at the 1st half an hour and have saved everybody of just bad movies :D The divergent movie was just awful and I hope the new star wars is good.

Hope the new jurassic park does great.

No more spidermans please...

CunegoFan
11-28-2014, 08:34 PM
The problem is that many of those books for teenagers simply sucks as a movie, the previous movie was ok, a friend told me that the last one was just bad...

Remember the vampires movies, I would had been the wwarewolf kid I would had killed that stupid b...h at the 1st half an hour and have saved everybody of just bad movies :D The divergent movie was just awful and I hope the new star wars is good.

Hope the new jurassic park does great.

No more spidermans please...

It was not just the movies. The Twilight books sucked as well. It is amazing that a downright terrible writer can be so successful.

Ditto on the Spiderman thoughts. I have had it with super hero movies. They are little more than CGI cartoons.

I will go see the last Hobbit film even though my opinion of Peter Jackson decreases with every film he makes. How can the CGI in the Hobbit films look so much worse than that in the LoR films?

ElvisMerckx
11-28-2014, 09:20 PM
I have the vhs versions somewhere. I think they were the last of the original cuts.

Nope. I've got a 2008 DVD box set of Episodes IV, V and VI that has the originals and the revamped versions.

Louis
11-28-2014, 09:35 PM
My inner nerd is SOOOO pumped, even though it's still a year away.

Didn't take long for the parodies to come out.

Top = trailer lightsaber

Bottom = some Trekkie with time on his hands.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9891028.ece/alternates/w620/starwars-lightsaber.jpg

http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2014/11/28/534x267/4531317_3_ee6e_ill-4531317-08ca-lt55x9f_bb6fe602ef5f2160ed4a91cbb3849695.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 06:07 AM

Worked for Tom Cruise in TopGun..which is about the dumbest movie ever. Only one accurate thing in that entire movie-a Campagnolo tshirt to anybody who can name it.

JJ Abrams was the 'director', not the screen writer. Lucas should not be a director, as seen by episode 1/2/3. I think episode 7/8/9 will be great. MUCH better than the Hobbitt series, which I think is tiresome.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 06:08 AM
JJ has more hits than misses, that's for sure. But his misses are pretty big ones.

lone ranger..yowser....

Gummee
11-29-2014, 07:27 AM
I will go see the last Hobbit film even though my opinion of Peter Jackson decreases with every film he makes. How can the CGI in the Hobbit films look so much worse than that in the LoR films?

I was so disappointed in the first Hobbit movie that I didn't bother with the 2nd. I *may* try and find it on DVD/BR and buy it used, but I doubt it.

Won't go see the 3rd. (see above re: DVD)

M

Tony T
11-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Worked for Tom Cruise in TopGun..which is about the dumbest movie ever. Only one accurate thing in that entire movie-a Campagnolo tshirt to anybody who can name it..

Lt. Cunningham's Communication with the MiG.

saab2000
11-29-2014, 08:03 AM
I was so disappointed in the first Hobbit movie that I didn't bother with the 2nd. I *may* try and find it on DVD/BR and buy it used, but I doubt it.

M

The 2nd was better but none live up to the LOTR films.

The interesting thing about the Hobbit films would be the elements brought in from the Silmarillion, which is not a story per se but includes some of the basic knowledge needed to understand what is going on to set the stage for the whole thing.

The Silmarillion would be truly an unfilmable entity but including some elements is interesting for Tolkien fans.

There is no way the Hobbit includes enough material for 3 films on its own. Barely two films worth of material and that's stretching it. It was more or less a children's story and can be read in an afternoon. LOTR is not a children's story at all and is much more complicated.

I look forward to the third installment, but yeah, they're not as good as the LOTR films and not as true (not even close) to the original book.

wildboar
11-29-2014, 09:13 AM

gemship
11-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Worked for Tom Cruise in TopGun..which is about the dumbest movie ever. Only one accurate thing in that entire movie-a Campagnolo tshirt to anybody who can name it.

JJ Abrams was the 'director', not the screen writer. Lucas should not be a director, as seen by episode 1/2/3. I think episode 7/8/9 will be great. MUCH better than the Hobbitt series, which I think is tiresome.

I rode the same ninja that he did for four years right down to the color scheme. My first superbike and most memorable. All my friends never forgot that bike, never mind the succession of bikes I had since.

cmbicycles
11-29-2014, 10:47 AM

Only accurate thing... the credits :)

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 10:54 AM
If we don't mind turning this into the holiday movie review thread:

Last night I went to see ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1’ with some friends. (Dragged to see it would be more accurate.)

To avoid wasting any more time on this piece of junk, I'll put it simply: This is a terrible movie. Save your time and your money and stay home to clean your daily driver's chain, link by link, including between the plates, with a pipe cleaner, then with Q-tips. That will be more enjoyable and more productive.

Yes, it has some great actors (with Philip Seymour Hoffman #1 on the list) but even they can't redeem it. Senseless boredom most of the time, interrupted by explosions every now and then, and plodding development throughout.

agree..really poor movie, IMHO.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Lt. Cunningham's Communication with the MiG.

aaaaaa...wrongo, next guess.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Only accurate thing... the credits :)

Not even that.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I rode the same ninja that he did for four years right down to the color scheme. My first superbike and most memorable. All my friends never forgot that bike, never mind the succession of bikes I had since.

Didja roar around with a white t-shirt and your daddy's leather flight jacket and Raybans??

Tony T
11-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Well I also heard that while he didn't buzz the tower, he did buzz the carrier:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88577&stc=1&d=1120550261

MattTuck
11-29-2014, 02:17 PM

I didn't see too much lens flare in the trailer... so, that bodes well. But you can also add that in post production apparently, so who knows.

My personal belief is that the star wars universe is so rich with mythology and potential for compelling (and original) stories, that it is regrettable that they sacrifice the story in order to include past characters.

It is bad enough they're including half the original cast in this new one, so help me god, if I find out R2-D2 is in this movie, I will refuse to pay money to see it.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Well I also heard that while he didn't buzz the tower, he did buzz the carrier:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88577&stc=1&d=1120550261

He thinks it was worth it? He's lucky he kept his wings.

How the big boys view stuff like this varies. Seen more outrageous stuff w/o problem and mild stuff that = no more flying.

wildboar
11-29-2014, 02:25 PM

*The only authentic scenes in the movie are the shots of flight deck operation.

And I even cheated to find that. Size L?

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 02:28 PM
*The only authentic scenes in the movie are the shots of flight deck operation.

And I even cheated to find that. Size L?

Nope, only one factual thing in the movie as part of the story, involving Mav and his RIO. Flight deck stuff was just background.

The flying was 'real', not CGI, real airplanes and such but something Maverick did, and what happened, only genuine thing about flying the F-14 in the movie.

FlashUNC
11-29-2014, 02:37 PM
lone ranger..yowser....

What did he have to do with Lone Ranger?

I remember that as a Gore Verbinski/Jerry Bruckheimer project.

cmbicycles
11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
'Must' have been flying upside down flipping the bird... or the putting on the brakes midair. Don't remember much else from that movie.

a4racer
11-29-2014, 02:41 PM
That teaser trailers was amazing. I'm as much a SW geek and sci-fi geek as the next person, but wow, that teaser has me sold.

I even love the FIFA-cross-branded R2 unit.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 02:59 PM
What did he have to do with Lone Ranger?

I remember that as a Gore Verbinski/Jerry Bruckheimer project.

Ooops, that was Disney but not Abrams

CunegoFan
11-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Ooops, that was Disney but not Abrams

Disney is on a roll.

Prince of Persia
The Lone Ranger
Mars Needs Moms
John Carter

wildboar
11-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Nope, only one factual thing in the movie as part of the story, involving Mav and his RIO. Flight deck stuff was just background.

The flying was 'real', not CGI, real airplanes and such but something Maverick did, and what happened, only genuine thing about flying the F-14 in the movie.

Missile failures?

bikinchris
11-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Some sharp eyed SW fans have found mistakes in the trailer already:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54827554

I will line up to see it when it comes out.

As for The Hobbit 3, I am going to see it also. It's a blatant scam to make it into 3 movies. 2 would have been fine and they could have followed the original story closer at the same time.

As for making movies from Tolkien's writings, Making a movie version of The Children of Hurin would make about 5 or 6 movies.
It was originally printed in a book called Lost Tales which was edited by Christopher Tolkien.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_H%C3%BArin

They could do parts of The Silmarillion, but it would probably not sell well, except to people who read the book and are hooked. The joke is that Jackson would make that into a 72 part movie.

FlashUNC
11-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Disney is on a roll.

Prince of Persia
The Lone Ranger
Mars Needs Moms
John Carter

That list only excludes every Marvel movie made since they bought the company in 2009. Not that Avengers or Captain America were some of the highest grossing movies of the last few year or anything.

Gummee
11-29-2014, 08:41 PM
John Carter

Its entirely too bad that the John Carter from Mars movie had absolutely nothing in common with the book(s).

The books are DL-able for free. They're short. They really reflect the time they were written. Interesting theory.

M

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Missile failures?

Funny, but not what I'm looking for. Aim-54 and Aim-7 lack of tune were ohhh so common tho.

theprep
11-30-2014, 07:06 AM
agree..really poor movie, IMHO.

Damn, I wish I read this thread yesterday. I took my family of six out last night to see this. What a waste of money. They called it Part I. More on the way, o joy.

weisan
11-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Maverick: I can't reach the ejection handle. You're gonna have to punch us out. Eject.
Goose: I'm trying!
Maverick: Eject eject eject eject!
Goose: Eject.
Maverick: Watch the canopy!
Goose: Oh, no!

oldpotatoe
11-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Maverick: I can't reach the ejection handle. You're gonna have to punch us out. Eject.
Goose: I'm trying!
Maverick: Eject eject eject eject!
Goose: Eject.
Maverick: Watch the canopy!
Goose: Oh, no!

What size? Yup, flat spin,
-jettison canopy
-RIO command eject

If canopy not jettisoned manually first, flat spin, yes the RIO will hit, as he did.

Bravo, how did you know?

weisan
11-30-2014, 10:50 AM
What size?...
...Bravo, how did you know?

Does it really say the c-word on it?

Gulp...er...hmm...ah....uuuu...I am not so sure...well, alright!
What the heck, like they say, you only live once...right? Right.:p
I will put it on during "special occasion".

Large, please. Thank you so much, old pal! :D
And if you don't mind, would you please autograph on the front, your name and callsign "Oldpotatoe" in big bold letter words. :hello:

How did I know it?
:rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't.

I spent 'bout 10 minutes on the worldwideweb doing some Ph.D research....:eek:

Miller76
11-30-2014, 11:10 AM
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/f39eo haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sg8357
11-30-2014, 06:41 PM

M

Wait for the directors cut of the combined 3 movies, it will be hours shorter after they remove all the gratuitous fight scenes & filler.