PDA

View Full Version : OT (but very timely): snow tire recommendations?

Climb01742
11-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Today's east coast snow storm has accelerated my purchase of snows for my GTI. So I appeal to the collective wisdom here. Which dedicated, winter only snows would you recommend? Blizzaks are the gold standard, yes/no? Are there options that come close to them but are maybe a little less? And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry? Thank you, oh wise ones.;)

chuckroast
11-26-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't know if they are the gold standard or not but my rear wheel drive Crown Vic is unstoppable on Blizzaks.

bcgav
11-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Check out Nokian Hakkapeliittas as an alternative, very good ratings. I've owned Nokians in the past and was very happy with them.

AngryScientist
11-26-2014, 06:59 PM
i have pirelli snows on my rear drive 3'er. it's performed excellently today in some sloppy stuff. there is a big difference between traditional lugged standard "snow tires" and more modern "performance winter" tires. the latter are not as great in deep snow, but are much better for dry highway driving and everyday road conditions, and work great in manageable snow and icy conditions. i recommend for any car you drive a decent number of miles on, go to performance winter tires. 90% of your driving will probabaly be on non-snow covered roads in the winter, after all.

dekindy
11-26-2014, 07:00 PM
A cycling buddy moved to Wisconsin and he is loving his Goodrich Blizzaks.

Brian Smith
11-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Today's east coast snow storm has accelerated my purchase of snows for my GTI. So I appeal to the collective wisdom here. Which dedicated, winter only snows would you recommend? Blizzaks are the gold standard, yes/no? Are there options that come close to them but are maybe a little less? And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry? Thank you, oh wise ones.;)

It really depends on whether you need snow tires, winter tires, or ice tires.
In your vicinity, I'd suspect that a studless 4-season tire (not a generic all-season) like a Nokian WR might be a good choice for some better performance on dry roads than an ice tire. Someone without a traction control system and with RWD and who more strongly favors all-out winter performance on plowed but icy streets might prefer a studless winter tire and accept the steering being a bit vague as a winter concession.

572cv
11-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Sold on Michelin x-ice. They work very well in a wide variety of conditions, and are quiet!

Bruce K
11-26-2014, 08:07 PM
With FWD you want a snow with the deepest/most aggresive tread available. This means generally something that will accept studs (but you don't need to buy them studded or use studs).

Highly recommend Hankook Winter I Pike based on son's experience with tuned Volvo C30

Just beware if you are even thinking about studs you need to get them when the tires are new and not yet mounted. Once you drive on the tire, studs are out.

Choice #2 would be the General Ultimax (?) - available from Tire Rack

BK

gasman
11-26-2014, 08:54 PM
I've had good luck with both Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
Other good options abound these days and any good snow tire is going to be light years ahead of any all season radial.
You don't need to be too picky. A real advantage is to buy wheels to keep the tires mounted on. Changeover is quick and easy.

Louis
11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Blizzaks did well on my Acura (Integra, fwd).

They failed me only once, and even then, they got me 75% of the way up the super steep hill, but couldn't go any farther when I hit the 20% section. I couldn't back all the way down (dark and not enough control) so I backed to the side and let the rocks by the side of the road provide grip for the tires.

When I got out of the driver's side the road was so slick with ice I wasn't able to stand. I had to sit on my butt and slide to the back of the car, then over to the side and use the rocks, dirt and brush to make my way to the top of the hill.

In retrospect, it was surprising that the tires got me as far as they did.

Louis
11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
A real advantage is to buy wheels to keep the tires mounted on. Changeover is quick and easy.

That's what I did. Got some steel rims & the tires, all from Tire Rack. After that I just got tires and had them mounted locally, then did the swap out myself at the beginning and end of the snow season.

ik2280
11-26-2014, 09:04 PM
^^^

Having a set of steel wheels with snow tires ready makes the whole process so much easier. One of the best purchases you can make.

Louis
11-26-2014, 09:08 PM
The only problem with that approach is how the TPMS might be affected by not getting a signal. (assuming your car uses a transmitter mounted to the rim)

Those things can add $50 / tire. The Integra ('97) didn't have TPMS. Not sure what happens with newer cars.

For the Subaru I've decided to wait and see if the AWD is good enough before actually getting dedicated snow tires.

thwart
11-26-2014, 09:12 PM
My General Arctic Altimax tires worked well last winter… and 'cost-effective'.

FWIW, Golf tdi.

PacNW2Ford
11-26-2014, 09:12 PM

I'm using Pirelli Sottozero 3's on my Golf R. Can't attest to their snow capabilities yet, but they handled some early freezing rain/ice well. Prior to them, I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on a WRX which worked great in our admittedly mild PNW winters. Both of these options are "performance winter" so you maintain some good handling characteristics on non-frozen roads. The Michelins last for at least four winters (Nov-Mar), I just gave them away and they're still in use.

christian
11-26-2014, 09:29 PM
I've got Blizzaks on the Ody and studded Hakka 2s on the Mercury. Happy with both.

christian
11-26-2014, 09:37 PM
And if possible, is there a choice that could still retain some driving performance on days the pavement is clear/dry?No, no, no. Soft tires with siped blocks and a huge sea-to-land ratio are always going to suck on pavement, and go away fast fast fast as they heat up. That's why they're so freaking wonderful on snow and in the cold.

Louis
11-26-2014, 09:39 PM
I've got Blizzaks on the Ody and studded Hakka 2s on the Mercury. Happy with both.

Unbelievable!!!

Christian, given your misspent youth, the pendulum has really swung the other way, hasn't it? ;)

Time to get a 4C. (in April, of course)

VTCaraco
11-26-2014, 09:41 PM
We've done Gislaveds, several different iterations of Hakkas, Hankook Zovacs, and now the Michelin X-Ice for the car. And Coopers, Hankook iPikes, and Michelin LTX Winters fro my truck.

For us, the Gislaveds and Hakkas were the best with the Hakkas offering better dry-road performance with minimal slippery-stuff compromise. What I eventually figured out was that the less-expensive options (Hakkas aren't cheap) are probably best for us because I end up replacing them sooner. In other words, I was running my Hakkas and Gislaveds for 4 years with the 4th season offering less function. With the Zovacs, I only ran them 2 years. New tires are definitely better...

We never tried the Blizzaks. From what I was told, they were a softer-compound tire that was made to be a year-round tire. I wanted dedicated wheels that were optimized for the season. This compound dynamic may not be the case any more...

If money isn't a big concern, find a Nokian dealer nearby and get what s/he recommends for you. If you're being a little more price-savvy, go with one of the other options and simply plan to get less service-time from them.
As others have mentioned, it's a night-and-day difference between even good all-seasons and a dedicated winter-wheel.

Per the spare set comment, we run separate wheels with another set of TPMS. We have to get the computer to recognize them, but it's still an easy swap. And if you're not persnickety, you can ignore the low-pressure warning if you're vehicle has that feature...

christian
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Yup, nothing to prove on the street. Slow as she goes.

p nut
11-26-2014, 10:00 PM
The only problem with that approach is how the TPMS might be affected by not getting a signal. (assuming your car uses a transmitter mounted to the rim)

Those things can add $50 / tire. The Integra ('97) didn't have TPMS. Not sure what happens with newer cars.

For the Subaru I've decided to wait and see if the AWD is good enough before actually getting dedicated snow tires.

Discount Tire installed the sensors on the wife's car for $30/each. Thought it would be worth it on her car, but didn't bother on mine. Just make sure you've got the original wheelset on (no (!) light) for the safety inspection and you're good. My old '95 Integra did really well in the snow as well.

soulspinner
11-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Any snow will be much better than all season but I had this discussion with my neighbor who is a wrench for a local Honda dealer. He runs Nokians least expensive snow tire with excellent results and we live 10 miles from Lake Ontario where serious lake effect is always a possibility. Tire Rack's steel wheels to mount them on..........YMMV.

NHAero
11-27-2014, 07:05 AM
We use Dunlop Graspics on the two Honda Fits, mounted on steel rims, no TPMS sensors, so we look at the light all winter. Lived in NH for over thirty years and these did well, now on Martha's Vineyard where I'm the only one with snows :-)

1centaur
11-27-2014, 07:13 AM
I ran Blizzaks for years and was happy with performance and wear, but they could not be confused with summer tires in sound or feel.

Last year I got a new car in the winter and they put on Continental Conticontacts. I found them just as good in the snow as Blizzaks and shockingly quiet and responsive in the dry. When I switched over to summer tires in March I wondered whether I would notice a major difference as I always had with Blizzaks - I did not. Tire Rack rated Conticontacts better than Blizzaks last I looked. Too soon to speak to rate of wear.

Ken Robb
11-27-2014, 08:06 AM
I think we had a similar thread just a couple of weeks ago so you can probably find more opinions in the archives.

SZWONDERS
11-27-2014, 08:30 AM

One thing to remember in very cold weather about snow tires is that they not only get you moving better, but they also help you stop considerably better which many times is much more important.
I can usually get through any situation with my vehicle by taking my time and driving cautiously but enjoy the stopping power of winter tires when the crazies get out there in this weather.

witcombusa
11-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Screw the pressure sensors, needless expense (including SUMMER tires).

tele
11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Over the years I have used blizzaks, hakkas, gislaved and articmaxes. The Hakkas were the best but most expensive. The altimax were a good cost alternative.

tele
11-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Screw the pressure sensors, needless expense (including SUMMER tires).

My wife can't stand the tpms light on during the winter but it's not worth the expense in my book.

Ken Robb
11-27-2014, 11:07 AM
My wife can't stand the tpms light on during the winter but it's not worth the expense in my book.

I have known people to tape over warning lights they wished to ignore. :)

uber
11-27-2014, 11:13 AM
I have use Blizzacks on my GTI's. They make high performance winter and snow/ice tires with different max road speeds and snow performance. I have heard great things about Nokians. Will go with Continental Extreme Contacts this year. Have not mounted them yet.

Black Dog
11-27-2014, 11:15 AM
The new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's are the best rated tire currently on the market go online and ready the professional reviews and comparison tests. Put some on this year and they are amazing, this is coming from Michelin X-ice and earlier gens of blizzaks.

witcombusa
11-27-2014, 11:58 AM
The new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's are the best rated tire currently on the market go online and ready the professional reviews and comparison tests. Put some on this year and they are amazing, this is coming from Michelin X-ice and earlier gens of blizzaks.

Having cars with both the WS70 and WS80 Blizzaks, my experience from last season is that the WS80 is less squirmy on dry pavement and may be longer lived. It's unplowed snow performance seems to be a bit behind the WS70.

Seems to me Bridgestone made the compromise to better match the conditions found by many customers? For me the compromise is unwanted. All depends on where/when you are driving!

paredown
11-27-2014, 12:06 PM
I've found this review helpful--some car board or other posted it, and I have been referring to at it since:

http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2013-PassengerCars.asp

Canadians, eh? They know about the snow...

Louis
11-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Canadians, eh? They know about the snow...

Yeah, they do know snow, but when it comes to transportation, I thought they used snowshoes and dog sleds.

Admiral Ackbar
11-27-2014, 03:20 PM
hakkas til i die. they are unreal.

Louis
11-27-2014, 03:36 PM
I know the spelling's different, but I couldn't resist:

http://www.odt.co.nz/files/imagecache/gallery_slideshow_small/story/2012/10/piri_weepu_leads_the_all_blacks_in_the_haka_before _5071e4a3ec.JPG

Climb01742
11-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Many really helpful suggestions here. You've all made my research much more focused. Thank you all very much.

rwsaunders
11-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Blizzaks on our Oddysey(s) for the past 20 years or so. I buy them at TireRack and have them installed when I have the oil changed in the early Winter...next Monday in fact. They've been very reliable for me and it would take a helluva deal to make me change.

bigman
11-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Put Blizakks last year on daughters outback , it's like a spider in the snow.
Michelin X ice on my wife's Prius , tremendous improvement over the all season tires.
no idea which is better but the Bridgestones are much less costly.

grawk
11-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Nokians have been the best snow tired I've had.

carpediemracing
11-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Many really helpful suggestions here. You've all made my research much more focused. Thank you all very much.

Just to throw this out there.

When I checked Tire Rack they're discontinuing them but the Pirelli Sotozero 2s are so loud. I didn't realize it before but I do now. Work great in snow, okay, but super loud. Put them on the Golf TDI as I wanted a tire that would be a bit better when not snowing. 17" rims, OEM ones.

On the Jetta Sportswagen we got take off 16" rims and some Contis. They're good too, soft feel due to 16", quiet. The OEM 17s wear the original tires.