PDA

View Full Version : Campy freehub for 11 sp Shimano/SRAM?

bluesea
11-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Did Campy come out with a new free hub for Shimano/SRAM 11 sp, that is different from the older Campy 11 sp freehub?

I may want one for both black Record and Neutron hubs. Do they both use the same freehubs?

buldogge
11-26-2014, 03:40 PM
The one that works for 11s will have the lobed axle free hub body. The older round axle FHB will fit...but...will only be 9/10s.

The Campy spline FHBs will both do 11, of course, and the round lobed FHB will fit both axles, but not vice versa.

Both hubs use the same FHB type...round or lobed axle will depend on year, though.

-Mark in St. Louis

Did Campy come out with a new free hub for Shimano/SRAM 11 sp, that is different from the older Campy 11 sp freehub?

I may want one for both black Record and Neutron hubs. Do they both use the same freehubs?

bluesea
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks Mark. I guess it would be simpler to use campy cassettes throughout.

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Would not surprise me that the 11 shimano will work just fine with an 11 campagnolo wheel and cassette tho.

bluesea
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Would not surprise me that the 11 shimano will work just fine with an 11 campagnolo wheel and cassette tho.

I may try it out.

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 09:21 PM
The spacing cant be that far out. Actually to me, shimano went with that weird 2 extra mm hubs because if they space the 10 hubs for 11 they were going to get probably with the same space numbers campagnolo was using already, you have to be different in a really strangely way. Even that way from what I read 11 in one wheel or the other is just way too close for some to even notice a difference.

buldogge
11-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Ohhh…Shimano 11 works just fine with Campy 11. I picked up a HED (R.I.P.) wheelset with Shimano FHB and ended up just buying an Ultegra cassette…runs fine with the otherwise Athena 11 gruppo on my Vittorio Strada MAX

-Mark

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Vittorio Strada MAX <-- I hate you! :P

Not even dutchs have those ones darn! :D

thirdgenbird
11-26-2014, 10:38 PM
The one that works for 11s will have the lobed axle free hub body. The older round axle FHB will fit...but...will only be 9/10s.

The Campy spline FHBs will both do 11, of course, and the round lobed FHB will fit both axles, but not vice versa.

Both hubs use the same FHB type...round or lobed axle will depend on year, though.

-Mark in St. Louis

Per Campagnolo NA, you can also update old hubs to the lobed axle.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Yes, early on, I first saw them about 2 years ago. Both for aluminum axled hubs/wheels and steel axled hubs/wheels.

Yes, same FH body, part number FH-BUU015X1. And strangely enough, the HG(8/10 and 8/11) FH body fits onto the older, non lobed, axles. Newer, one piece Campagnolo FH bodies, do not.

bluesea
11-28-2014, 09:31 PM
P.S. By lobed axle do you mean OS axle?

thirdgenbird
11-28-2014, 09:34 PM
P.S. By lobed axle do you mean OS axle?

No, well sort of. The first OS axle was round and then it went to lobed.

You can't put a lobed freehub on a round axle, but you can put a lobed axle and freehub into the older hub. The shell and bearings kept the same spec.

The standard sized axle is a different topic.

buldogge
11-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Except, apparently, according to Peter ^^^ the Campy Shimano 11s (lobed) FHB does fit the older round OS axle!

-Mark

You can't put a lobed freehub on a round axle, but you can put a lobed axle and freehub into the older hub. The shell and bearings kept the same spec.

thirdgenbird
11-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Except, apparently, according to Peter ^^^ the Campy Shimano 11s (lobed) FHB does fit the older round OS axle!

-Mark

Correct. If you have a hub with the round axle, you need to upgrade the axle to the lobed version and then you can swap freehubs. It adds about $50 to the conversion cost but it updates the wheel to current production spec.

buldogge
11-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Casey…read what Peter wrote…Shimano FHB fits without the axle swap.

In fact, now that I think about it, I think I sold jischr my Shim 11s FHB and he put it on an older round axle…

-Mark

Correct. If you have a hub with the round axle, you need to upgrade the axle to the lobed version and then you can swap freehubs. It adds about $50 to the conversion cost but it updates the wheel to current production spec.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2014, 06:03 AM

You can put a FH for non-lobed onto a lobed axle also. Backwards since the problem was splitting FG bodies when screwing the pawl carrier into the FH body(ti and steel, but mostly ti). New FH body one piece aluminum, including the pawl carrier.

AND, pretty sure I pit a modern, like 2012/13 HG freehub body onto a non lobed axle..I think cuz they are steel, so no need to lobe, like the all aluminum Campagnolo cassette, ones.