PDA

View Full Version : OT: the in-law holiday rant

velomonkey
11-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Ahhhh Thanksgiving!!!! One of my favorite times of the year. Except for the past 14 years I've had my in-laws at my house. They come on Tuesday and leave on Saturday. Try as i might, these people drive me to drink.

So, as drunkcyclist says - whiskey is my yoga.

I'll be drinking Bulleit Burbon - might splurge and get their 10 year.

What about you?

GregL
11-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I am one of the lucky ones who hit the jackpot. Mother-in-law, father-in-law, brothers- and sister-in-law are all wonderful. I feel honored to call them all family. Through the in-laws, I have met even more great people from the extended family. Getting together with all these great folks makes the holiday season special. Can't wait to see two brothers-in-law tomorrow!

-Greg

donevwil
11-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Bulleit = yummy = any excuse to drink

Cicli
11-26-2014, 02:05 PM
The difference between inlaws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted.

Nooch
11-26-2014, 02:11 PM
I love my in-laws, and they're much easier to deal with sometimes than my own family.

That being said, I don't need to host them for extended periods of time, but have vacationed often enough to figure it wouldn't be a big deal.

No, the issue I have is the fact that both my wife's and my parents are all divorced, and 3/4's of them re-married. And we're the only people with kids, so it's a cluster every holiday seeing everyone.

And don't even think about trying to host them all in the same room. If the volume weren't the issue, the conflicting personalities sure would be...

christian
11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm blessed with great in-laws. My only question is if I can sneak in a night of winter camping in Harriman over the long weekend! :)

rePhil
11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
For the first time in our 40 year marriage the wife and I will be alone. We have so much to be Thankful for. It's our favorite holiday.
It's by choice, and it's a good thing. All the stars seemed to line up and the two nearby families and 4 grandkids are well taken care of by the other halves families. And while we have been repeatedly invited we decided to spend it just the two of us. Even the ones in Michigan have asked us up.Besides, at Christmas our home will be like Grand Central Station.

Our turkey will be special. Our 3 year old grand daughter won it on what most likely was her last Strider race. She is moving on to mix it up with the 5 and under kids.
Life is good. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

don compton
11-26-2014, 03:37 PM
At 63, I lost my wife's parents years ago, but they always treated my kids and myself like gold. I miss them dearly.

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I bet the problem the OP is having is that the mother in law is taking control of the f.. house and makes his wife behave like if she had like only 10 neurons moving around, plus the tension created in the house... sucks. Better alone than with bad company or who you dont want to be with.

Don't drink... grab your stuff and go somewhere, ask for extra work, out of the blue work in another city? anything works to run away of PITA inlaws.

Bet the OP is counting the years left... I'm...

If I could tell publicly... crap!

Louis
11-26-2014, 04:38 PM
^^^^ Hmmm. I'm single, but somehow I don't think that's the most constructive way to address the problem.

sworcester
11-26-2014, 04:44 PM
The difference between inlaws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted.

Nice!

T.J.
11-26-2014, 04:47 PM

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Outlaws are wanted. <--- totally agree...

The problem that many have is that mom and daughter are always close and mom knows wife will have the last opinion about a subject and thats what they use to take control of some homes.

Anybody feels their wife gets super stupid like with 10 neurons when the mother shows up?? My wife gets just... yes that word, its insane.

sg8357
11-26-2014, 05:47 PM
One brother in law's bike is stored in the front room,
the other brings his in the team truck.

Then we all go for a ride.
Holidays are good.

Cicli
11-26-2014, 05:52 PM
One brother in law's bike is stored in the front room,
the other brings his in the team truck.

Then we all go for a ride.
Holidays are good.

That I could do.

My BIL is a damn OC yuppy.

zmudshark
11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Ahhhh Thanksgiving!!!! One of my favorite times of the year. Except for the past 14 years I've had my in-laws at my house. They come on Tuesday and leave on Saturday. Try as i might, these people drive me to drink.

What about you?Big Jonny (DC founder) is a friend, I'm sure he would approve.

crownjewelwl
11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm blessed with great in-laws. My only question is if I can sneak in a night of winter camping in Harriman over the long weekend! :)

Can I come??

aramis
11-26-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm so happy after January 1st.

Family really ruins the holidays.

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 09:16 PM
LOL

This is more common than i thought :D Makes me fell better actually LOL

majorpat
11-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Sure I love my family, but hate the production that holidays turn into. I mean, who the hell likes creamed onions? And you know who will end up washing the thousand dirty pots and pans.

Best turkey day I ever had was in the wardroom on the USS Saipan.

oliver1850
11-26-2014, 10:04 PM
I love creamed onions.

Louis
11-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Please, this is a family forum. ;)

unterhausen
11-26-2014, 10:11 PM
I made the mistake of inviting one of the grad students for dinner tomorrow. Grad students are great and all, but you hardly have to clean the house for them. Turned everything into a grand production. Turns out one of his friends is leaving the country, so he isn't going to make it.

downtube
11-26-2014, 10:28 PM
I loved my in laws, I only wish they were alive to stay with us and have a big holiday meal like we use to. My wifes family is cool, those that are still around are always welcome.
Happy Thanksgiving to All
chuck

buldogge
11-26-2014, 10:38 PM
I'll be wasting my day driving 1.5 hours to my FIL's…then 1.5 hours to my MIL's…then 1.5 hours to home…but…at least I'll get to have 2nd rate/overcooked/mis-timed food on top of it all! :help:

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
11-26-2014, 10:45 PM
I'll be wasting my day driving 1.5 hours to my FIL's…then 1.5 hours to my MIL's…then 1.5 hours to home…but…at least I'll get to have 2nd rate/overcooked/mis-timed food on top of it all! :help:

The only thing worse would be to have them living right next door...

ultraman6970
11-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Many times 8 to 12 hours drives are way too close man :D

SZWONDERS
11-27-2014, 01:12 AM
wow I wonder Hw my wife really feels since my folks, llive with us.

I do always Joke that they all get along better with her than with me.

Happy Holidays.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2014, 06:32 AM

What about you?

In spite of wrangling my 2 grand daughters(3 1/2, 1 1/2) 4 days a week, 14 hours a day....they and their mom and dad(and our youngest son -34 years old) are all coming over for the feast/football/some decent Vino/beer, day.

And looking forward to it. Gonna be a nice, almost 70 degrees day, a ride in the AM..thanksgiving along with wife and daughter-in-law birthdays..gonna be good.

Why not pack up one year and go to their house for almost a week?

shovelhd
11-27-2014, 06:44 AM
I love creamed onions.

My MIL is an angel. She is welcome in our house any time. Besides, she's the only one besides me that loves creamed onions, so we get to enjoy them twice a year together.

Today we have two friends of my oldest son joining us. Their flight was cancelled yesterday due to the weather and they are stopping by on their way to Logan. This is what the holidays are really about.

Kirk007
11-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Dirty martinis are making my brother in law much more tolerable; if only the quantity required didn't make the next day so damn difficult@

thirdgenbird
11-27-2014, 07:21 PM
My brother in law (sister's husband) is thankfully gone. Nice guy, but too much talking and a cowboy fan.

My sister in law (wife's sister) is still here. She is always welcome. Currently sharing a bag of chips and watching Portlandia.

Louis
11-27-2014, 11:33 PM
My brother in law (sister's husband) is thankfully gone. Nice guy, but too much talking and a cowboy fan.

I doubt he was doing much talking today...

victoryfactory
11-28-2014, 05:34 AM
I love creamed onions.

Please, this is a family forum. ;)

Thanks for that, Guys. I love a horse laugh in the morning!
Now I have a new saying: "That _______ really creams my onions!"
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha snort choke

As for Thanksgiving, as the old saying goes...
You can choose your friends but you can't choose your
relatives.
Mine are all nice people but we just live in different worlds and when/if we come together (wedding, Funerals/holidays) it's always a stifling and slightly uncomfortable experience with virtual strangers.
I don't know... Some people are family oriented and share history
and experience and some like me got out of Dodge asap and never looked back.
I did enjoy the day and a meal with friends, though.

Happy Thanksgiving to all wherever you are on the bell curve!

Thanks and Giving = Thanksgiving

VF

ntb1001
11-28-2014, 06:45 AM
It's not a holiday here (Canada), but my brother and his wife came for a 4 day visit...just left this morning. I don't know how he does it...at least I can ignore her. .he can't. I photographed there wedding for them a couple of years ago and her mother was a huge pain in the ass.It was probably the most difficult wedding Ive every shot. Now it looks like mt sister in law is completing the transformation into her mother. :eek::eek::eek:

unterhausen
11-28-2014, 09:50 AM
I really started appreciating my MIL a couple of years ago, but then she broke her wrist which coincided with a descent into dementia. Anyone that has lived with a sufferer of dementia knows that it can be difficult. However, it was nice having dinner with her last night, she's the only grandparent my kids have left.

Frankwurst
11-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I loved mine and miss them dearly. May they R.I.P.