PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tall and Handsome Seat Post Choice

dekindy
11-26-2014, 10:44 AM
I have a Serotta Legend naked frame and am going to order a Paul Tall and Handsome seat post. Would the High Polish, Silver Anodized, or Black be the best choice? I was leaning toward Black but High Polish is all that Dealers advertise and I was wanting to order it through my LBS since they recommended it. LBS may be able to get Black but it got me to wondering if the High Polish might be a better choice.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=54904&d=1237062379
See #5 below for component changes.

cp43
11-26-2014, 10:59 AM
For me, it would depend on what you're planning for the rest of the build. Stem, bars, cranks, wheels, etc. If the stem will be black, go for the black post, if silver, then look at the high polish.

Chris

thirdgenbird
11-26-2014, 11:08 AM
We need to see the bike. Typically I say match the stem, but not always. The occasional build or paint to match stem can change the game.

sandyrs
11-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Post a pic of the frameset if you can! I bet any of the three will look great with it though.

dekindy
11-26-2014, 11:09 AM
For me, it would depend on what you're planning for the rest of the build. Stem, bars, cranks, wheels, etc. If the stem will be black, go for the black post, if silver, then look at the high polish.

Chris

Conventional wisdom tells me that. Currently have matching Bontrager post and stem; black with white and red accents that go with the red accents on the rest of the bike. However the post tilt has slipped on me a couple of times; on the Ride Across Indiana particularly annoyed me. Have it cranked down now and it has not slipped again but don't trust it. Maybe if I retightened occasionally it would be okay but have read reviews where nothing worked. Also saddle is pushed back almost against the front of the clamp so it would have to work perfectly to keep my 200 pounds from jilting it loose when I hit a bump and you can't anticipate them all to get weight off the saddle.

cp43
11-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Conventional wisdom tells me that. Currently have matching Bontrager post and stem; black with white and red accents that go with the red accents on the rest of the bike. However the post tilt has slipped on me a couple of times; on the Ride Across Indiana particularly annoyed me. Have it cranked down now and it has not slipped again but don't trust it. Maybe if I retightened occasionally it would be okay but have read reviews where nothing worked. Also saddle is pushed back almost against the front of the clamp so it would have to work perfectly to keep my 200 pounds from jilting it loose when I hit a bump and you can't anticipate them all to get weight off the saddle.

As others have said, pics will help, but from your description, I think black will work well.

I know what you mean about trusting seatposts. I had a Ritchey that slipped on me once. I re-tightened it, it slipped again, and I replaced it with a Thomson. I'm in the same boat at you though, saddle almost all the way back, and I'm heavier than you. I want a seatpost with a clamp that won't slip.

Let us know what you think of the post, they look really nice.

Chris

dekindy
11-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Post a pic of the frameset if you can! I bet any of the three will look great with it though.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=54904&d=1237062379

This is the bike but current components are red: bar tape, cables, and saddle. Wheels have changed from Shimano 7850SL with red accents to 6800 with no color accent. It does not appear that I had the current post that matches the stem has been installed in this picture. I just looked through the Seven gallery and saw a good sample of black and Seven titanium posts and am now more on the fence than ever. I plan to purchase parts forever and the Bontrager post is probably excellent for most. I don't want to be on RAIN again trying for a record time and have the seat angle slip again. It is impossible to get tight enough with a multitool hexkey.

thirdgenbird
11-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Black stem, check.
What wheels and group?

So far, I'm voting black

Edit: just saw the link. Still voting black. Polished would match the group, but it would send you down the slippery slope of a new stem, headset, and maybe more. Black would complement the stem, fork, and stays. If you upgrade to a black group (campy, 6800, or 9000) you would still be good.

R3awak3n
11-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I think black will work the best.

I have a black tall and handsome. Its a really nice seatpost but I do remember it was a huge pain to find one in stock (black, silver was available).

Not the lightest but its great looking with a nice amount of setback.

dekindy
11-26-2014, 11:21 AM
I think black will work the best.

I have a black tall and handsome. Its a really nice seatpost but I do remember it was a huge pain to find one in stock (black, silver was available).

Not the lightest but its great looking with a nice amount of setback.

Paul Component website indicates all finishes in stock but polished appears to be the only inventory from Dealers.

sandyrs
11-26-2014, 11:31 AM
I would go with black.

buldogge
11-26-2014, 12:04 PM
That's because they're ordering from QBP, and that's what they stock. Have your dealer call Paul…I believe he extends dealer pricing to all shop orders.

-Mark in St. Louis

Paul Component website indicates all finishes in stock but polished appears to be the only inventory from Dealers.

dekindy
11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Off to LBS to order a black one.