PDA

View Full Version : any cigar smokers?

AngryScientist
11-26-2014, 09:11 AM
it's no secret that i'm a big scotch fan. i puff on a few cigars a year also, but almost always one on thanksgiving with my dad. sitting outside next to the fire pit, glass of 18 year-old something or another and a decent cigar.

my cousin just stopped by the house the other day and gave me a Rocky Patel Edge.

I know very little about cigars, what are some forum favorites?

fiamme red
11-26-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know anything about cigars, but I love Rudyard Kipling's poem about them.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1289140#post1289140

verticaldoug
11-26-2014, 09:30 AM
That's like asking what is your favorite wine. There are so many really good cigars out there.

I will stop at Davidoff London on St James. If you can ever get your hands on one, get a partagas culebra. You, your father and your cousin can each take a leg from one, and it is nice because it adds variety.

Otherwise, I think a real cohiba robusto is a great smoke.

A cigar is only part of the equation. You need time and place to enjoy it. If you are spending time with your father having a slow smoke, anything is probably going to be good smoke.

Stephen2014
11-26-2014, 10:34 AM
One of the best I ever had was an Indian Tabac Cigar Co Churchill. I love the Don Tomas and Don Ramos stuff also. Avo was good, Santa Damiana..........so many!

dave thompson
11-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Like a fine red wine; big, flavorful, great mouthfeel and body, extremely satisfying, Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Gold. Been my favorite for many years and the one pictured in my Tequila postings.

Vinci
11-26-2014, 12:21 PM
I only get to do it a couple times per year, but a nice pipe and some good scotch is a real treat.

On the even rarer occasions that I'll have a cigar instead, I like a couple types made by Drew Estate (Acid and Natural). I get the feeling that people who actually know cigars don't look highly on those, but I enjoy them.

commonguy001
11-26-2014, 12:52 PM
I've got a couple I've been digging lately that don't break the bank.

Dunhill Aged Cabreras - nice and mellow, one of my current favs
Arturo Fuente 858 with a natural wrap - again really fine smoke for the coin

I also keep Arturo Fuente Curly Head Deluxe on hand for friends who don't appreciate the difference. Nothing wrong with them (cigars or friends) just not what I'm going to smoke myself.

Wesley37
11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
It has been years since I have had a cigar (since I became a parent, basically). Back in the day, it was one of my favorite ways to mark a special occasion.

My favorite coffee and cigars come from the Nueva Segovia region of Nicaragua (you should be able to find these in most good cigar shops). A rich, earthy flavour. I need to find a cigar shop...

msl819
11-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I am by no means an expert but some of my personal favorites.

CAO Brazilia
Alec Bradley Prensado
Joya De Nicaragua

Like others have said, there are many great cigars. I tend to prefer a full bodied cigar. Where I live I do not have a good humidor in town and I do not smoke enough to invest in a good personal humidor. You can find good deals on samplers from any online retailer. Get a good cutter and torch and check some out.

pdmtong
11-26-2014, 01:32 PM
it's no secret that i'm a big scotch fan. i puff on a few cigars a year also, but almost always one on thanksgiving with my dad. sitting outside next to the fire pit, glass of 18 year-old something or another and a decent cigar.

its almost a cliche', but the glenmorangie 18 comes in a gold box with a booklet for $85. easily the most affordable 18yo and dare i say a bottle anyone would enjoy.

No cigars for awhile around here - but agreed get a good cutter, burn the end and keep the mouth end from being soppy. I tended towards heavily peated islay with cigars - might as well go all the way down the path of destruction

djg21
11-26-2014, 03:10 PM

my cousin just stopped by the house the other day and gave me a Rocky Patel Edge.

I know very little about cigars, what are some forum favorites?

My favorites are Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Classics and Best Sellers (4" - when I don't want a 1 hr smoke). Fuente makes these with Maduro (darker) wrapper for the Christmas season, which gives them a richer, more peppery taste. My other favorites are the Ashton ESGs (and slightly more reasonably priced VSGs).

My advice is to buy expensive cigars so it doesn't come close to becoming a habit. I smoke a couple per month with some good scotch or port, or a really good beer. I can't afford to smoke more often, and Inexpensive cigars too easily can become a habit.

sworcester
11-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Cigars, beers, wines and Cognacs are very personal (and Whiskeys and Tequilas!).
It is the moment and friends that make them special.
I am a big fan of Arturo Fuente Queen Bees and King Bees as my go too and lately Liga Provida #9 as the special occasion. Although you can't go wrong with Diamond Crowns, same price point in the $13-$18 range. Or if you can find it Opus X.

And while it may go against cyclist as racing crowd go, I have come to a point in my life where I am no longer a racer, but enjoy the finer things in life, and bicycles are in the top percent of that.

I think know I cycle to offset the other obsessions I have.

tiretrax
11-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Cigars are even more particular than bikes. I used to prefer nicaraguan cigars, but since I rarely have one any more, dominicans are a better smoke for me. I've smoke many brands, and nearly all had mostly good attributes. My favorite low cost cigar is a Perdomo made for the local shop in San Antonio. For my brother's bachelor party, I got a box of LaGloria Series R's. He still talks about them.

My main suggestion is to smoke it slowly and enjoy the drink and company.

crownjewelwl
11-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I like a smaller gauge...favorite is montecristo no. 4...Cuban of course!!

gearguywb
11-26-2014, 10:43 PM
My favorite for an "all around" smoke is a Perdomo Lot 23

I have several that I really enjoy as a finer smoke...Rocky Patel Anniversary, Montecristo Platinum, etc

SZWONDERS
11-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Rocky patel

http://www.rockypatel.com/cigar/1990-vintage/

always a great smoke, great bang for your buck.

SpokeValley
11-27-2014, 09:02 AM
I love this forum!

Thanks for the shopping list gang. There isn't a single thing I could add here.

Ive been met with mixed reviews when Ive told cycling buddies that I really enjoy a nice cigar with a nice wine, scotch, or bourbon. And like others here, I ride for enjoyment (maybe obsession) with the healthy benefits so I definitely rationalize an occasional tryst with fine tobaccos.

Since I travel a fair amount for work, I have opportunities for a leisurely smoke away from home. Even though Mrs Valley and the teenage Valleys know I do occasionally partake, I don't have suffer comments of either. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm old enough to know better. I like to try the Cubans when in Canada.

AngryScientist
11-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Hey, I'm old enough to know better. I like to try the Cubans when in Canada.

yea, i figure if i smoke half a dozen cigars a year, the health effects approach zero. probably breathe in more bad stuff walking down a subway platform or going through the lincoln tunnel than a few stogies a year.

veggieburger
11-27-2014, 11:44 AM
My favorite cigar is the Romeo y Juliet Cedros #2. Nice and spicy.

However....the best smoke is a medium sized bowl of Solani White and Black pipe tobacco. It's such lovely stuff.

http://www.reinergenuss.de/SolaniWeiss.jpg

Stephen2014
11-27-2014, 12:06 PM
My everyday mini cigars are Agio Meharis. Usually 1 a day.

verticaldoug
12-17-2014, 11:38 AM
With today's announcement, it looks like everyone will be able to enjoy a nice cuban legally now.

Saint Vitus
12-17-2014, 12:40 PM
^^^Was just discussing briefly this with a co-worker. An old friend (Frank DeMedio) is probably seething right now, he escaped Castro's regime after being locked up in the echo chamber with little more than his memories of working at Radio Cuba.

SlackMan
12-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Related to the recent "Real Name / Across the Hall" fiasco, this thread is a good example of why someone might not want his or her real name in a thread. I am sure that many life insurance companies and disability insurance companies would love to find some reason to say that Joe Customer lied about his or her tobacco use, and then try to weasel out of paying a claim. I used to smoke pipes and cigars many years ago, but I do not partake at all now, in part for insurance premium reasons.

Brainbike
12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
La Gloria Cubana
Hoyo de Monterrey
Arturo Fente
and Dunhill if and when I get the chance these days.
Big fan of Macallan- not as peaty as Laphroig, Lagavulin, etc.

Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Great bunch of people with like minds.

Ti
Scotch
Watches
Cigars,
Craft Beers
and the occasional post of other people's 911s with bike roof racks....ahh the community.

djg21
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
With today's announcement, it looks like everyone will be able to enjoy a nice cuban legally now.

It's not going to change much. Travelers may only bring up to $100 in booze or tobacco from Cuba back into the States. You could always get Cuban cigars in Canada and it wasn't really difficult to bring a few sticks back when driving across the border. Things won't dramatically change until Cuban cigars can be sold at retail in the US.

I still don't know what the fuss is all about. There are crappy cigars and good cigars grown and rolled in Cuba, just like there are good and bad cigars from Nicaragua and other countries in Central America. Take off the bands, and you wouldn't be able to tell where they came from.

Stephen2014
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
There are plenty of great Honduran cigars to be too bothered about Cuban.

tlittlefield
12-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Actually now that the sanctions have been lifted between the USA and Cuba you cigar smoking forumites will be able to get all the Cubans that you want.

redir
12-17-2014, 03:18 PM
One or two a year for me. I just walk into the smoke shop and the guy helps me pick one out, I have no idea what it is or if its good but I like them once in a great while. Always have them if traveling to places like Costa Rica and hopefully one day soon Cuba Woot!

Stephen2014
12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1418856117__img_20141217_223935.jpg

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1418856349__img_20141217_224329.jpg

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1418856676__img_20141217_224857.jpg

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1418855881__img_20141217_223533.jpg

djg21
12-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Actually now that the sanctions have been lifted between the USA and Cuba you cigar smoking forumites will be able to get all the Cubans that you want.

"There's an incredible demand for Cuban cigars," said Jeff Borysiewicz, the president of Corona Cigar company, one of the largest Cigar retailers in the country. "There's this whole mystique about them. Just look at how big the counterfeit market has gotten."

Yet the bold truth is that the Cuban cigar is not all that it's made out to be.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/18/cuban-cigars-arent-actually-all-that-special/