PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Virb/Garmin 500/510 and Dashware

cwayne
11-25-2014, 08:34 AM
I'd like to pull the trigger on a Virb for $99. Does anyone have feedback on combining your computer, camera and dashware? I wonder how you sync them up. I mean I'd hate to have video and the speed say 22 and I'm going 32 etc. Like when you see video and the sound isn't quite synced up, that would be annoying.
Like this video is pretty bada$$

http://youtu.be/G4eWM8ZvDzQ?list=PL681E051C3BFC3335

shovelhd
11-25-2014, 01:04 PM
So what is your objective for this data display? Brag to your friends? Data for your coach? Recon work for next year's race? Or do you think your numbers are going to get you in Liz Hatch's pants? :)

foo_fighter
11-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Syncing in Dashware is a manual process but it is very simple. As long as you can output a file from virb, like tcx or csv, you should be able to import it and then sync it by overlaying a gauge and tweaking until you are satisfied.

cwayne
11-25-2014, 02:07 PM
So what is your objective for this data display? Brag to your friends? Data for your coach? Recon work for next year's race? Or do you think your numbers are going to get you in Liz Hatch's pants? :)

The last one sounds good.

Honestly it would be a fun new toy for awhile. We have had some decent videos shot, some even edited to music but none with the data on the screen that I have seen. I think everybody around here would eat it up.

cwayne
11-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Also I've seen some local coaches post videos and screen shots of training peaks. YAWN...

This is way cooler

shovelhd
11-25-2014, 04:24 PM
It's been around for years. Yawn. Good luck with your project though. May it bring you enjoyment.

LJohnny
11-25-2014, 04:29 PM
It is pretty straight forward. Everything is done within the garmin virb edit software. You pick up the data overlay you want.

no problem.

azrider
11-25-2014, 04:55 PM
It's been around for years. Yawn. Good luck with your project though. May it bring you enjoyment.

I bet you're a hit at parties.....

shovelhd
11-25-2014, 05:51 PM
If you only knew.

cwayne
11-25-2014, 06:26 PM

Lol. I'm a little slow.

weisan
11-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Anyway, posted in another thread a review of my latest toy the Garmin Virb basic and how it worked out with my Edge 800 ...

Got to play around with the new Garmin Virb Basic action camera in yesterday's ride. It was tethered to my Edge 800 through ANT+ such that when I start the timer, it will automatically start recording. The auto pause functionality worked as well but I turned it off so I have direct control over my recordings. The quality is not too shabby imo.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvQvnj1NCs

A few things that I noticed:
1) Using the free video editing software Virb Edit - it was a nice piece of software, feature rich, comes with a generous set of overlays (gauges display) but I was using a 8-yrs old laptop, admittedly under powered and under -rammed in terms of processing speed and memory, takes longer and not as pleasant an experience, a lot of waiting for the machine to catch up on the changes.
2) the timing between the remote external GPS file and the video seems a bit off, not a whole lot but you can tell. The software allows you to sync up the start point between the two to get them line up, so not a big issue there. It would be nicer not having to deal with the problem. The Elite version would eliminate that problem but comes at a premium of shelving out another $100+ plus I already have the Edge going.
3) And this is my main complain. The original package did not come with a bicycle handlebar mount. It should have in my opinion. What i did was improvise one with a clamp. Once it's tightened down, it worked OK, the camera remained secure and stable throughout the whole ride.
4) I like that garmin virb comes with external battery and can be plugged in to charge during use with an external source. And that's what I did during the ride. I brought along a small portable external power pack and plugged it in at the middle of the ride after about 1.5 hours. It sits nicely in my back pocket with a USB cable stretched across to the virb, aesthetically looks a bit weird, but does not bother me a bit nor hinder the riding or my movement in any way. In doing so, it not only prolongs the usable distance/time of the Virb but by the time I was done with the ride, even though it was turned on the whole time , the external battery source had managed to charge it up fully. Pretty cool. I foresee with this setup being able to record rides up to six hours or more.

I played around with the different video modes -slow motion, time lapsed, wide angle etc
They all worked out as advertised. :D

Overall for less than $90, and a discontinued product, I think it's a pretty decent buy. Will play with it more in the next couple of days,

Jason E
11-29-2014, 09:08 AM
That's a nice first clip. Gonna play with mine today.

Some comments...

I was trying to figure out why you were having trouble holding a line until I looked at the speed and realized you were crushing fierce wattage.

The road was awesome, does it go on forever?

I have a problem with it being 64 there yesterday. It was 37 yesterday here. I have an issue with that.

None of these comments are about the video quality. I'm just having fun.. Looking forward to playing with it today.

JE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ptourkin
11-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Anyway, posted in another thread a review of my latest toy the Garmin Virb basic and how it worked out with my Edge 800 ...

Got to play around with the new Garmin Virb Basic action camera in yesterday's ride. It was tethered to my Edge 800 through ANT+ such that when I start the timer, it will automatically start recording. The auto pause functionality worked as well but I turned it off so I have direct control over my recordings. The quality is not too shabby imo.

1) Using the free video editing software Virb Edit - it was a nice piece of software, feature rich, comes with a generous set of overlays (gauges display) but I was using a 8-yrs old laptop, admittedly under powered and under -rammed in terms of processing speed and memory, takes longer and not as pleasant an experience, a lot of waiting for the machine to catch up on the changes.
2) the timing between the remote external GPS file and the video seems a bit off, not a whole lot but you can tell. The software allows you to sync up the start point between the two to get them line up, so not a big issue there. It would be nicer not having to deal with the problem. The Elite version would eliminate that problem but comes at a premium of shelving out another $100+ plus I already have the Edge going.
3) And this is my main complain. The original package did not come with a bicycle handlebar mount. It should have in my opinion. What i did was improvise one with a clamp. Once it's tightened down, it worked OK, the camera remained secure and stable throughout the whole ride.
4) I like that garmin virb comes with external battery and can be plugged in to charge during use with an external source. And that's what I did during the ride. I brought along a small portable external power pack and plugged it in at the middle of the ride after about 1.5 hours. It sits nicely in my back pocket with a USB cable stretched across to the virb, aesthetically looks a bit weird, but does not bother me a bit nor hinder the riding or my movement in any way. In doing so, it not only prolongs the usable distance/time of the Virb but by the time I was done with the ride, even though it was turned on the whole time , the external battery source had managed to charge it up fully. Pretty cool. I foresee with this setup being able to record rides up to six hours or more.

I played around with the different video modes -slow motion, time lapsed, wide angle etc

Overall for less than $90, and a discontinued product, I think it's a pretty decent buy. Will play with it more in the next couple of days,

Thanks for the review. I ordered the $99 Virb too and am about to take it out on my weekend loop. I didn't realize you could charge with an external. I do that with my 810 on long endurance rides. The Gomadic fits perfectly in a bento box on the front of the tt.

cwayne
11-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks again. With those overlays the dashware would be a waste of money, not needed. I'm ready to play but it hasn't reached my mailbox yet.:(

zap
11-29-2014, 09:28 AM
wasted 3+minutes watching the video………kept waiting for a 40+mph sprint and podium girls.

Too each their own.

weisan
11-29-2014, 09:30 AM
That's a nice first clip. Gonna play with mine today.

Some comments...

I was trying to figure out why you were having trouble holding a line until I looked at the speed and realized you were crushing fierce wattage.

The road was awesome, does it go on forever?

I have a problem with it being 64 there yesterday. It was 37 yesterday here. I have an issue with that.

None of these comments are about the video quality. I'm just having fun.. Looking forward to playing with it today.

JE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am sorry J-pal...it's gonna get up to 75 today! :eek:
I was picking my line also because there was a fair bit of debris on the road due to construction.

weisan
11-29-2014, 09:31 AM
wasted 3+minutes watching the video………kept waiting for a 40+mph sprint and podium girls.

Too each their own.

zap-pal, I am a recreational non-doping member of the community. :banana::p
Plus I ran into some issue with my rear derail...it was "stucked" at the 16t cog, spin out at 30 :eek:

I am a "tinker", like to tinker with stuff and gadgets. The selfie-self-promotional part of this is not my style. :D

weisan
11-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Uploaded a couple more videos

Time Lapsed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQMU...WpZjVrprGXAK-g

Slow Motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YurF...WpZjVrprGXAK-g

Jason E
11-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Here is my first.

Good ride with it today on the trails in Umstead Park, but this is the first film, earlier. Edit is trimmin a little time from when I get back to the driveway to when dg and kid come to see. It takes kid all of 2 seconds to hear it is a camera before she is hamming it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427sYlPsc80&feature=youtu.be

weisan
11-30-2014, 05:02 AM
j-pal, nice job!;)

ptourkin
12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Very happy with the video quality. I made a quick video of a commute sped up 8x but there's really no reason to watch.

As Weisan mentioned, I'm also interested in tips for syncing the GPS track for sensor overlay in Virb Edit. This one is clearly wrong but it would be fairly easy to get right since I turned on the cam at the beginning of the ride. I'd like to shoot some of my favorite descents and sprints and overlay my sensor data, but I do longer rides and it would be impractical to shoot the whole thing.

http://youtu.be/85VtUKe-958

azrider
12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Here is my first.

Good ride with it today on the trails in Umstead Park, but this is the first film, earlier. Edit is trimmin a little time from when I get back to the driveway to when dg and kid come to see. It takes kid all of 2 seconds to hear it is a camera before she is hamming it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427sYlPsc80&feature=youtu.be

Uploaded a couple more videos

Time Lapsed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQMU...WpZjVrprGXAK-g

Slow Motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YurF...WpZjVrprGXAK-g

Very happy with the video quality. I made a quick video of a commute sped up 8x but there's really no reason to watch.

As Weisan mentioned, I'm also interested in tips for syncing the GPS track for sensor overlay in Virb Edit. This one is clearly wrong but it would be fairly easy to get right since I turned on the cam at the beginning of the ride. I'd like to shoot some of my favorite descents and sprints and overlay my sensor data, but I do longer rides and it would be impractical to shoot the whole thing.

http://youtu.be/85VtUKe-958

How are you guys mounting to bicycle ?

Noticed Weisan mentioned there is no bike specific mount, and that's a bummer.

fiataccompli
12-01-2014, 01:05 PM
I posted a rough video on the similar thread on this in 'classifies' (which, btw, I wouldn't advocate adding to, since it's become a non-classified type of topic). Anyway, bottom line is at 99 bucks or less, it's hard to beat. The Virb editor software is a free download from Garmin so it leads me to wonder if there is actually any reason to use the Virb camera. Adding the GPS track is a rather crude process...basically attach it to a sequence of 20ish minute clips and it starts rolling along with the beginning & appears to become increasingly out of synch as it goes. However, it also appears that it's fairly simple to find a few points along the video where you can match the video with the GPS map/sat. image and once I did that on a few hour-long rides I filmed to test it, the synchronization was pretty good....in fact, it may have been excellent. It was good enough to make sense and no one would confuse my 35mph efforts with my 12 mph efforts. Just kidding....it was as close as I would ever need to have it for boring my friends with ride video (use #1) or reviewing a race effort (use #2).

LJohnny
12-01-2014, 01:57 PM
How are you guys mounting to bicycle ?

Noticed Weisan mentioned there is no bike specific mount, and that's a bummer.

I am using one of each: both work pretty well and are pretty cheap in price compared to the k-edge. I feel the quality is good, no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-HEROBMK-Aluminum-Handlebar-Cleaning/dp/B00JCJS16A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463217&sr=8-3&keywords=gopro+bike+mount

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-HEROBMU2-Aluminum-Handlebar-Cleaning/dp/B00L22NH0A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463317&sr=8-7&keywords=gopro+bike+mount

mind you, if you have more than one bike and want to have another mounting bracket ready to go, you will also need an additional garmin adapter called: "an adapter to popular industry mounts." This is only available in this package, and it is necessary to use any gopro mount. The VIRB comes with one of them in the box.
At least you'll save a bunch on the aluminum mounts quoted above compared to the k-edge ones....
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Virb-Adjustable-Mounting-Arm/dp/B00EPKMBVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463406&sr=8-4&keywords=garmin+adjustable+mount

azrider
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
I am using one of each: both work pretty well and are pretty cheap in price compared to the k-edge. I feel the quality is good, no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-HEROBMK-Aluminum-Handlebar-Cleaning/dp/B00JCJS16A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463217&sr=8-3&keywords=gopro+bike+mount

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-HEROBMU2-Aluminum-Handlebar-Cleaning/dp/B00L22NH0A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463317&sr=8-7&keywords=gopro+bike+mount

mind you, if you have more than one bike and want to have another mounting bracket ready to go, you will also need an additional garmin adapter called: "an adapter to popular industry mounts." This is only available in this package, and it is necessary to use any gopro mount. The VIRB comes with one of them in the box.
At least you'll save a bunch on the aluminum mounts quoted above compared to the k-edge ones....
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Virb-Adjustable-Mounting-Arm/dp/B00EPKMBVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463406&sr=8-4&keywords=garmin+adjustable+mount

very nice. that's smoking price compared to the k edge.

I'm assuming you only use one on the handlebar?

No rear facing camera?

weisan
12-01-2014, 04:05 PM
>>Noticed Weisan mentioned there is no bike specific mount, and that's a bummer.

az-pal, just to clarify, Garmin do have their own bike mount to go with the Virb, they just didn't include it as part of the original package. and that's what I am griping about. :cool:

LJohnny
12-01-2014, 06:36 PM

No rear facing camera?

I am afraid that at this moment for rear facing, saddle rails attachment the k-edge is the only one. AFIK.

And I have not been able to work a solution for a saddle bag that would allow the mounting of the rear facing camera. So, only forward facing here.

(I meant one of each on different bikes)

ptourkin
12-02-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm using the Virb handlebar mount and it's solid. As was stated, the GoPro converter comes with the cam so if you or your friends have GoPro mounts, you can use them. This will be useful as more of the Edge/GoPro combo ahead mounts come out this year.

DC Rainmaker is solidly in the K-Edge camp as the best.

weisan
12-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Ok pals, this was recorded this afternoon using the virb and then put together using Virb Edit along with the "fit" file from my Edge800.

Again, nothing spectacular, strictly experimental and tinkering with stuff, I wish to apologize ahead of time for "wasting five minutes of your life"... Again, I am just a recreational non-doping member of the cycling community. :banana:

https://vimeo.com/113758498

ptourkin
12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Fast descent and TT section with power, speed and hr sensors overlaid with Virb Edit:

http://youtu.be/-L5EFO8ymWo

cwayne
12-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Got it. Waiting for a video to upload now. The software works very well. It takes a little effort to sync with a clip but pretty easy overall. Win-Win with Edge 500. I'll eventually get a 510 or an 810 and it will sync better I suppose but for now I'm happy.

weisan
12-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Rear Mounted

http://vimeo.com/115105726

teleguy57
12-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Rear Mounted

Weisan-pal,

Nice point of view. I'm wondering about risk of loss/damage for the camera itself on that placement; seems awfully exposed compared to a seat rail mount for a rear view..... How are you feeling about that?

weisan
12-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Tele pal, in my humble opinion, it's no more riskier than a seat post k-edge mount plus the added advantage of being able to take a quick peek to see what's going on in the viewfinder and battery level. :D
To be sure, I did a battery of pre flight tests:
I yanked it, pulled it, jumped on it, tried my darnest to get it off, it just wouldn't give an inch. :-)
As for the danger of being hit by flying debris, it seems unlikely because of the rear facing orientation and it's location with respect to the rear wheel.
For road applications, it's fine but I can't vouch for mtb/stunt/extreme sports.

Oh oh... If this matters to you... I forgot to mention, the mount costs me $1.25 net on the bay compared to $$k-edge. :D

NickR
12-21-2014, 12:45 PM

No rear facing camera?

DX has a rear mounted one,i order one. Something like this

http://www.dx.com/p/fat-cat-outdoor-cycling-bike-2-rail-saddle-seat-mount-for-gopro-hero4-3-2-sj4000-5000-black-362591

teleguy57
12-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Tele pal, in my humble opinion, it's no more riskier than a seat post k-edge mount plus the added advantage of being able to take a quick peek to see what's going on in the viewfinder and battery level. :D
To be sure, I did a battery of pre flight tests:
I yanked it, pulled it, jumped on it, tried my darnest to get it off, it just wouldn't give an inch. :-)
As for the danger of being hit by flying debris, it seems unlikely because of the rear facing orientation and it's location with respect to the rear wheel.
For road applications, it's fine but I can't vouch for mtb/stunt/extreme sports.

Oh oh... If this matters to you... I forgot to mention, the mount costs me $1.25 net on the bay compared to $$k-edge. :D

Great to hear about your testing. And it matters to me:) Now you have my full attention. Do you have a link to the item or can you share it via PM if you don't care to post it here? Thanks!

weisan
12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Great to hear about your testing. And it matters to me:) Now you have my full attention. Do you have a link to the item or can you share it via PM if you don't care to post it here? Thanks!

Sure, but I need to apologize, I quoted the price incorrectly. It costs $2.30.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171454082343?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1714540 82343%26_rdc%3D1

weisan
01-20-2015, 05:45 AM
This was taken on Sat.
https://vimeo.com/117218917

azrider
01-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Sure, but I need to apologize, I quoted the price incorrectly. It costs $2.30.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171454082343?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1714540 82343%26_rdc%3D1

Hey Weisan! Have you tried this mount on the seatpost?? if so would you mind posting pic ? thanks man!

NickR
01-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Hera are a couple videos I made using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoQDuEhOBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9IsvgVgOHA
http://youtu.be/2Sj6L7xKDTw

weisan
01-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Nick pal, that's very cool!

Az-pal, the mount in question was used in the seat stay instead of the seat post. You can see the picture in my previous post.

azrider
01-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Nick pal, that's very cool!

Az-pal, the mount in question was used in the seat stay instead of the seat post. You can see the picture in my previous post.

yep, already saw that one and was just curious if you tried the post. I'm wondering if the length of the camera unit itself would get in the way when using that mount on seatpost. I'll see if i can make the seat stay method works.

NickR
01-21-2015, 01:01 AM
yep, already saw that one and was just curious if you tried the post. I'm wondering if the length of the camera unit itself would get in the way when using that mount on seatpost. I'll see if i can make the seat stay method works.

From the picture it probably won't work, the virb pretty long. With an extension you should have no problem.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2025102325_1/5-Two-Way-Pivot-Arm-Assembly-Extension-Mount-Adapter-for-Gopro-Hero-NEVER-BREAK-Markdown-Sale.jpg