PDA

View Full Version : How to Select Optimum Resistance on Indoor Spin Bikes

Splash
11-25-2014, 02:25 AM
So, I have bought a brand new spin bike for indoor training to maintain some level of core fitness in my new location of busy City life.

I have a cadence device on the pedal crank only (but no speed sensor on the front wheel).

On this spin bike, I have a large turn knob that adjusts the resistance on the flywheel.

How do I select the optimum resistance of this bike with the knob if i want to maintain a minimum cadence level?

How do i quantify the resistance from ride to ride?

Perhaps heart rate measurement is the only way to go (given that any power meter on these things may be less accurate)??

I have bought new "Spirit CS800" brand spin bike - probably a no-name brand where you are located..

http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/spirit-cs800-commercial-spin-bike-spt0029.html

This bike has multiple/infinite adjustable body positions, clipless pedals and a dial that helps control the resistance, over a large range

Splash

jmoore
11-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I don't think you can be too precise. I taught some intro spin classes at work for a few years. The bikes we had had similar controls and it was always frustrating.

The best way I found was to always start at the same spot and go up 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn or whatever for each "gear change". I ended up marking the knobs with an arrow at 12 o'clock and set all the bikes at the beginning of class. Since this is your home bike, it will be easy enough to figure out and repeat.

Louis
11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that it comes down to RPM vs effort (as measured, say, by your HRM). Decide approximately what RPM you want and pedal at the figure. Is your HR about what you want? Based on the answer to that question you adjust the resistance knob as required. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Have fun!

MattTuck
11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that it comes down to RPM vs effort (as measured, say, by your HRM). Decide approximately what RPM you want and pedal at the figure. Is your HR about what you want? Based on the answer to that question you adjust the resistance knob as required. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Have fun!

If you're doing structured training, this is the easiest (assuming you have the ability to measure your heart rate). Most workouts that I've seen (take The Cyclist's Training Bible or even Lance Armstrong's Performance Program, the book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Lance-Armstrong-Performance-Program/dp/1579542700) not the actual performance program he was on) have both a cadence range and heart rate range.

If you don't have a cadence sensor, get a time that can count seconds. Count the number of pedal revolutions in a 6 second period and multiply by 10. Better accuracy if you count for a longer time, but multiplying by 10 is easy, even in oxygen debt.

Splash
11-25-2014, 01:22 PM
thanks guys.

I have a cadence device on the pedal crank only (but no speed sensor on the front wheel), so i can measure rpm.

i will look into a HRM and try to mark that resistance knob..

splash

Louis
11-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Speed of the flywheel is completely meaningless, so not having that is not a problem at all.