PDA

View Full Version : Refinish Ti Seatpost

campy man
11-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Anyone with experience polishing a Campy Ti seatpost?

Not really concerned about the area inserted into the seat tube. Just looking to clean up some of the lighter scratches on the part of the seatpost that is showing.

choke
11-24-2014, 09:45 PM
I've had good luck using either fine steel wool (0000) or sandpaper (1500 grit) to get a nice uniform surface and then polishing. I've used both Mother's and Flitz (liquiid) and the latter works far better IMO.

foo_fighter
11-24-2014, 10:19 PM
I would not recommend steel wool as little bits of steel get embedded and then leads to rust...or maybe this only applies to stainless steel.

fuzzalow
11-25-2014, 07:07 AM
I've done it. It's a lot of work and it is possible to get it close to a brand new finish after applying polish and some time at a buffing wheel. But it will never have the glass smooth finish of a NOS seat post.

If you only want to clean up scratches, see if you can work sandpaper grits only on the scratch lines to reduce the harshness of the scratch instead of sand papering abrasive across the entire post. That way you don't destroy the glass-like quality of the entire post but just minimize the obviousness of the scratch lines.

Either way, you will have to walk up the grits; 2000 still shows on metal so if you can find finer grits than that it will work better. Also depends how picky you are and how deep the scratches are. Good luck.

MePaleo
11-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Mothers Mag Polish works wonders on those light surface scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiversolitude
11-28-2014, 07:51 AM
maybe try a dremel with some kind of polish. Id call the MFR and see if they have any suggestions. I had a buddy polish up a TI motorcycle exhaust with near perfect results.

Ill see if i can find out what he used/ did.