PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Study Participants

FGC
11-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Are you interested in improving your endurance, power, and VO2max on your bicycle for this upcoming cycling season? Want to increase your core strength? In conjunction with Josh Friedman, professional cycling coach, Dr. Craig Abrams D.C., and Neil Krulewitz, studying at University of New England's College of Osteopathic Medicine, we have developed a promising protocol that has been shown in a preliminary study to increase power, VO2max, and core strength in participating cyclists.

Our 8-week protocol involves targeted, incremental VO2max and core strength training that have produced quantifiable results. Reports from previous study participants have been very positive, and include both objective and subjective increases in cycling performance. The study will include three groups of participants: VO2max training only, Core training only, and combined VO2max and core training. We will be measuring power, heart rate, and calculated VO2max from power data. NOTE: we will not be performing in-lab VO2max testing - VO2max calculation from power data has been shown to be extremely accurate.

All data and participant information will remain confidential and be used only in comparing groups. Additionally, participants will receive information regarding the performances of each group to guide your future training.

To be eligible to participate, you must fit the following criteria:

Be a licensed Cat 4 or higher cyclist
Currently do not perform regular core strengthening exercise
Own or have regular access to a power meter
Own or have regular access to a heart rate monitor
Own or have regular access to a cycling computer (Garmin, etc.)
You may need to purchase additional core equipment (foam roller, exercise ball) - details will be provided

The study will take place in the Spring of 2015, likely in early or mid-April. If you are interested in participating, please contact us at nkrulewitz@gmail.com, cragabramsdc@gmail.com, or atpraceconsulting@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

kramnnim
11-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Hmm, sent an email, despite not meeting the licensed bit. Maybe they are flexible and just weeding out more casual riders.

rnhood
11-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Nothing will improve your fitness and numbers like fast group rides. Find an elite or fast group in your area and ride with them. That's your ticket to becoming a stronger athlete, and a smarter and fitter cyclist. And doing this doesn't cost 10 cents.

kramnnim
11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
And doing this doesn't cost 10 cents.

It does when you live in a rural area where the fast group rides are an hour away... :(

FGC
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Well, this study doesn't cost anything if you already have the equipment, which many people do. And if you want to progress past your local group ride, it'll take training. It all depends on your goals.

This study will also add to the compendium of scientific research on physiology. If you're against that, I'm not sure what to say.

RedRider
11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
What a great opportunity to experience and benefit from the latest scientific training methods. This level of training and diagnostic data is usually only available to pros or deep pocket individuals.
"Ride Lots" worked for Eddy but he didn't have biomedical engineers available.
Wish I could join. Good luck with the study.

FGC
11-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks!

SpeedyChix
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Cool, thanks for posting. Any age cap (ceiling)?

FGC
11-24-2014, 05:16 PM
No age cap. One of our most stellar participants in the pilot study was 60+.

SpeedyChix
11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
No age cap. One of our most stellar participants in the pilot study was 60+.

Cool, I wanted to participate in a local study at MSU but was a couple years too old. I'll check into this one.

weisan
11-24-2014, 06:09 PM
No problem with meeting any of the eligibility requirements but I have to double-check on something...

Do I have to sworn off ice-cream and fried chicken in order to participate in this study?

Your answer will help me qualify my own eligibility.

Actually, for once, I am not joking.:D

carpediemracing
11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Question on protocol - by April I'm racing. Will I have to stop racing to adhere to whatever training protocol?

FGC
11-24-2014, 08:55 PM
No swearing off ice cream or fried chicken. Proceed as normal, besides the training you'll be doing.

And no, don't stop racing, if that's what you do. You'll have to get our workouts. We account for the rest of the riding people do when figuring our results. We realize we won't get people that fit all of the criteria and only allow them to ride 3 days a week with no racing.

carpediemracing
11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks, email sent.

FGC
12-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Bump for those that haven't seen this yet.

zerocool5468
12-06-2014, 07:47 PM
nice find. thanks.

old fat man
03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Anyone else taking part in this? I did the vo2max component yesterday morning with a total head cold. Felt like passing out at the end. Today was the core baseline test and I feel like I've been punched in the ribs already. Tomorrow is gonna be rough.

MattTuck
03-04-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm surprised they let you participate if you were sick.

old fat man
03-04-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm surprised they let you participate if you were sick.

My ftp was the same as it was 2 weeks ago when I did a 20 minute test on my own, so the head cold didn't affect me that much I guess. I just felt more light headed than usual at the end. Also, this is all completed at your own home with emailed guidance/instruction. They had no way of knowing I have a head cold and I didn't ask for their approval to ride while sick.

Joachim
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
My ftp was the same as it was 2 weeks ago when I did a 20 minute test on my own, so the head cold didn't affect me that much I guess. I just felt more light headed than usual at the end. Also, this is all completed at your own home with emailed guidance/instruction. They had no way of knowing I have a head cold and I didn't ask for their approval to ride while sick.

Its not about approval, its about the head cold generating confounding data. Scientific study design is about controlling variables. I would tell them about the head cold so that they know your data point might be invalid.

old fat man
03-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Its not about approval, its about the head cold generating confounding data. Scientific study design is about controlling variables. I would tell them about the head cold so that they know your data point might be invalid.

Given the methods in use, I don't think this study is going to be published and referenced in any science/sports journals. I'm not worried about my head cold ruining it for them. I'm more interested in the forced training structure that this is providing me.

Back to the relevant topic, anyone else here taking part?

kramnnim
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I guess I was rejected...oh well.

toastedbread
03-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Participating in the VO2 max and core exercise group.

old fat man
04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Coming down the home stretch. 4x8 at Z5 was tough today. Anyone else? How is the core component?