PDA

View Full Version : bent Ti dropout?

josephr
11-24-2014, 08:44 AM
as I've never dealt with Ti dropouts before, thought I'd ask the question rather than really screw something up. Just got this used and went to mount the front wheel and discovered its a little tighter than just a little extra push.

1) Easy DIY fix with the ole channel locks?
2) Send to a pro and let them do the bending?
3) scrapping not an option here...so, there's is no #3.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2014, 08:57 AM
as I've never dealt with Ti dropouts before, thought I'd ask the question rather than really screw something up. Just got this used and went to mount the front wheel and discovered its a little tighter than just a little extra push.

1) Easy DIY fix with the ole channel locks?
2) Send to a pro and let them do the bending?
3) scrapping not an option here...so, there's is no #3.

I have used the closed end of a big honking wrench. Like a 22mm type. Hook over bent end, push gently..Should be no big deal.

Also the 'hole' end of a big adjustable..just gotta be long-and be gentle.

josephr
11-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I have used the closed end of a big honking wrench. Like a 22mm type. Hook over bent end, push gently..Should be no big deal.

awesome...yeah...I've done wrenched steel back into shape a few times...just first time dealing with Ti...thanks!

macaroon
11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Might be safer to file it down rather than bending it back? I'd have thought bending would weaken the dropout further, whereas filing the excess away in that arear wouldnt matter too much since the axle clamps further into the dropout.

David Kirk
11-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Might be safer to file it down rather than bending it back? I'd have thought bending would weaken the dropout further, whereas filing the excess away in that arear wouldnt matter too much since the axle clamps further into the dropout.

I agree - if the slot has been bent closed just enough so the axle won't slip in place i'd rather file the slot at its opening to allow the axle to pass.

I personally wouldn't worry about damaging the dropout itself while bending but I don't like the huge amount of stress the bond between the drop and the carbon blade would see while trying to bend the drop. This stress would be much higher than the blade would normally see so if you could file it to allow the axle to enter that would be a good thing.

dave

josephr
11-24-2014, 12:20 PM
OP says bend...macaroon and DK say file....hmmm...sounds like we need to put this to a vote!

Cicli
11-24-2014, 12:30 PM
File it. Bending may weaken or break it.

Dead Man
11-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I've bent aluminum fork ends.... alum is really malleable though. Ti is a different beast. If it was me, I'd probably file it.

Actually- if it was me, I'd spend the next 48 hours straight amped up on coffee totally geeking out on metallurgy related to Ti and getting a scientific answer........ but since we're not talking about me, I'm voting for filing.

coffeecake
11-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Actually- if it was me, I'd spend the next 48 hours straight amped up on coffee totally geeking out on metallurgy related to Ti and getting a scientific answer........ but since we're not talking about me, I'm voting for filing.

Who here has access to an FEA code... let's simulate it.

ultraman6970
11-24-2014, 12:44 PM
IMO file depends a lot of if the two sides (arms or whatever you want to call them) of the drop out are parallel to each other. If the long side bent to the sides then file wont fix the problem because the wheel axle will sit in an iregular surface anyways.

If the long side of the drop out bent to the inside like closing the drop out and the drop out is even then file will work IMO.

We have the picture from the side, no idea if the drop out arms bent sideways a little bit too, they always do that tho.

dlui
11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
I would use a large chisel, tap it into the dropout from the side.
Properly supporting the dropout over opened vise jaws. The
sides of the chisel will act as a wedge to spread the tips apart.
It helps to have somebody hold the fork while you tap away.
Good luck

oldpotatoe
11-24-2014, 01:33 PM
OP says bend...macaroon and DK say file....hmmm...sounds like we need to put this to a vote!

Ahhh, of course in a carbon fork. Yep, file cuz as has been mentioned, not going to hurt the dropout but may break loose from carbon fork blade-file!!

happycampyer
11-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm still puzzled what could cause a titanium dropout to bend like that. If it was impact, it couldn't have been good for the fork.

David Kirk
11-24-2014, 04:16 PM
BTW - what brand for is it?

dave

rwsaunders
11-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Fixed it for you...the upside down photo had me puzzled at first.

mktng
11-24-2014, 04:25 PM
just give the fork blades a tug to either side. let the wheel slip in.
permanent lawyer tab ? :)

I vote light filing. but in all honesty... I dont see why you couldnt SLOWLY + LIGHTLY bend it back...

Ultimately voted to bend it. But carefully.

charliedid
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm in no position to give advice except to say please video tape it, if bending it.

:)

dvancleve
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM
I would use a large chisel, tap it into the dropout from the side.
Properly supporting the dropout over opened vise jaws. The
sides of the chisel will act as a wedge to spread the tips apart.
It helps to have somebody hold the fork while you tap away.
Good luck

This sounds pretty good to me. If you do this right, negligible force will be going into the bond between the carbon fiber and the dropout. Also seems like maybe some combination of gently tapping/wedging it open and then filing if you can't get it quite the whole way would also be good...

Doug

P.S. Titanium work hardens, so I believe it's going to tend to get harder to file as you go. I had to slightly trim a titanium steerer on an old carbon fiber fork, and it got really tough to cut about halfway through. I wasn't sure I was going to make it.

victoryfactory
11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
I wonder if it's 3/2.5 or 6/4 Ti and if that's a factor in bendability?
VF

SpokeValley
11-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Let us know what you decide to do and post some pix.

I like the chisel idea, and I might try that if it was me. I think filing is the safest alternative, though.

That's quite a whack that fork took. I'll assume you checked the alignment...

pbarry
11-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Are you positive that the fork ends are Ti? The radiused section between the bottom of the leg and the clamping faces looks like AL, as does the hue, (on my tablet).

Either way, filing is the way to go. Be sure to only remove material from the bent area. Cheers

pitonpat
11-24-2014, 06:55 PM
or some slightly more benign hydraulic spreading type device? No strain on the dropout/fork arm interface with this method.

Perhaps you could insert two hardwood shims opposing each other (from opposite sides of the dropout) then draw them together with a screw clamp- i.e. a bar clamp or C-clamp. With the fork arm in a vise (gently), you'd have both hands free to insert the shims & position the clamp. Turn the screw slowly, watching as the shims slide past each other gradually spreading the dropout flanges.

If it works, thank Archimedes & the inclined plane concept!

malcolm
11-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm trying to imagine what could have bent that thing more closed in the first place ???

buddybikes
11-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Dremel with nice new 9901 Tungsten Carbide Cutter

johnniecakes
11-25-2014, 12:49 AM
If it were me I would find an old axle and file a flat on both sides to allow it to slide in. Then clamp a vise grip onto the axle and rotate the axle 90 degrees. This would use the filed axle as a cam to spread the opening apart just enough to allow a round (unfiled) axle to enter

DRietz
11-25-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm still puzzled what could cause a titanium dropout to bend like that. If it was impact, it couldn't have been good for the fork.

I'm with this. If it was me, I'd throw it in the trash.

josephr
11-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Are you positive that the fork ends are Ti? The radiused section between the bottom of the leg and the clamping faces looks like AL, as does the hue, (on my tablet).

Either way, filing is the way to go. Be sure to only remove material from the bent area. Cheers

I'm pretty comfortable with the fork and riding it....only took 5-10 minutes to file it down....how'd I do?

Cicli
11-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Looks fine to me. Run it.

Brian Smith
11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
I'd bet that is an aluminum dropout.

malcolm
11-25-2014, 04:25 PM
I'd bet that is an aluminum dropout.

wouldn't be surprised. I've found Ti to be resistant to filing so if it happened quickly it may be something else.

Dead Man
11-25-2014, 04:31 PM
It doesn't look like Ti, and it does look like aluminum. So there's that.

pbarry
11-25-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with the fork and riding it....only took 5-10 minutes to file it down....how'd I do?

Well done! :hello:

Clancy
11-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Good job!

happycampyer
11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
While you're at it, why not file the sides down enough to create some lawyer tabs? ;)

josephr
11-25-2014, 11:31 PM
...just assumed it was Ti as the bike is Ti...you're probably right about it being aluminum now that I look more closely.
Tx!
Joe

Louis
11-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Absolutely file it - you did the right thing.

If you bend it you'll be damaging material that is VERY important to keeping the axle in place. That is not good for the material that will be affected. It doesn't mean instant death the next time you ride the bike, but it sure as heck does not help the integrity of the fork end.

If you file it you'll be removing a teeny bit of material that carries practically no load, if any at all, when the wheel is in place.

In my opinion this is a 100% no-brainer. Do not bend it - you have a much better alternative.