PDA

View Full Version : Wheel recommendations?

bjf
11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm setting up a bike for riding on pretty good dirt roads, in state parks near me. It's a road bike with flat bars, and I'm heavy - 220. Recommendations for strong but cheap wheels? Weight is not a huge concern for this application.

ik2280
11-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Seems hard to beat this price:

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_235_357&products_id=3173

weisan
11-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Seems hard to beat this price:

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_235_357&products_id=3173

I concur. They might as well give it to you for free. :banana:

oldpotatoe
11-24-2014, 06:16 AM
I'm setting up a bike for riding on pretty good dirt roads, in state parks near me. It's a road bike with flat bars, and I'm heavy - 220. Recommendations for strong but cheap wheels? Weight is not a huge concern for this application.

velomine suggestion is a good one. BUT I recommend having a good wheel guy, check true, round, dish, tension....before ya ride.

It IS nice to see a MO place that acknowledges there actually ARE 36h hubs and rims still out there. A 'few' tell people 'there are no more 36h hubs', and such bugleoil.

thirdgenbird
11-24-2014, 07:37 AM
I agree with those guys. They are ideal for your use.

bjf
11-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Yes, folks, I found it really helpful to hear about the 36 spoke wheels. I was wondering if I could get anything with more than 24. Thanks!

sparky33
11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Ergott

coreywood
11-24-2014, 10:12 PM
One downside of these, which also makes the case for a good wheelbuilder, are the straight-guage spokes. At 220, you would do well to be riding on butted spokes for their resistance to breakage, and longer service life. 36 is a great number for you, as well.
If it is possible to get the hard anodized version of TB14, they hold up better under the initial wear period when ridden in wet/dirty conditions.
Safe and happy riding!

K Green
11-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Gravel can be fun! Suggest you use Phil Wood 36H with Mavic Open Pro 700 Clinchers and Continental tires...you will be happy! Oh...and DT double-butted spokes...

oldpotatoe
11-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Gravel can be fun! Suggest you use Phil Wood 36H with Mavic Open Pro 700 Clinchers and Continental tires...you will be happy! Oh...and DT double-butted spokes...

'cept just the hubs would be more $, by a lot, than the wheelset mentioned. Yes, I am a big fan of all things Phil but...I'd also think there are better rims than OpenPro..many..HED(Rip), H+Son, Pacenti, DT, to name a few.

IMHO-pf course.

Clancy
11-27-2014, 01:39 PM
A solid double wall rim with 36 spokes in a cross pattern. Durable as can be, takes a beating, keeps their true.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here or on similar sites such as Roadbikereview.com good rims can be picked up at very good prices.

If you can swing it, some DT Swiss. Last a lifetime.

Peter

ceolwulf
11-27-2014, 02:39 PM

I weigh close to what you do and have had excellent service from Campy Khamsin wheels. Get the CX version for a bit better dust sealing. You could also step up to Scirocco 35s for a deeper rim that would be even stouter. Weight isn't even that bad.

CiclistiCliff
11-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Whomever is still choosing to build or buy wheels built around Mavic Open Pros is stuck in the 90's and needs to get with the time. Most outdated wheel in existence.

Jeff N.
11-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Whomever is still choosing to build or buy wheels built around Mavic Open Pros is stuck in the 90's and needs to get with the time. Most outdated wheel in existence.

The HED rims are now supposed to be THE rim of choice...or so I've been told. Jeff N.

azrider
11-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Not trying to start an internet cat fight, but wouldn't 36 spoke wheels be overkill?

When I was 190 I was rolling 32 spoke wheels and couldn't get them to come out of true even if I tried and abused the hell out of them.....couldn't imagine having even more spokes.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Not trying to start an internet cat fight, but wouldn't 36 spoke wheels be overkill?

When I was 190 I was rolling 32 spoke wheels and couldn't get them to come out of true even if I tried and abused the hell out of them.....couldn't imagine having even more spokes.

Not 'bomb proof'???

I have a set of 32h wheels also, weight .1 offa ton, with rims that weigh 525 grams. No such thing as a free lunch.

Yup, those 28 grams per wheel makes them ohhh sooo heavy. Yikes, why the angst with a 36h wheel? What does it cost you other than a few $ and 28 grams? For anybody .1 offa ton..++. Do ya suppose those 56 grams mean something, anything? Anybody have to knuckle under and make 'that call', when your wheel broke?

yeegads.

and before ya ask, DT 585 don't come in 36h...

jr59
11-28-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm bigger and heavier than the OP.

I would say it depends on how you ride. First thing first. All my rear wheels have at least 32 spokes. A few of my front have 28, but mostly 32+, if you ride thru every pothole, and off curbs and are hard on your gear, by all means get the 36 spoke wheel set. Me, over the years, I have learned that this style of riding does not work well for me. It beats me up and beats my gear up, and lightens my bank acc.

So YMMV! BTW; 56 grams is a LOT less than the pie I ate yesterday. So that part of it make little difference to me at all.