PDA

View Full Version : KHS bikes any good?

scooter01
03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I am looking for a full suspension Mt bike. I wont ride this bike much, so I don’t want to spend a ton on it. A friend of mine is a dealer for KHS is and he is really pushing this bike. Its last year’s model I think. I am OK with that; I was more concerned about the price.

Is KHS any good? My first choice before was a Diamond back.

PanTerra
03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
My LBS carried KHS Tandems. The line they carried was pretty low end, and was there if you wanted to get on a tandem for $1500.00.

Serotta PETE
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
If you are not going to ride it much, I would suggest not getting dual suspension,

Look for a used bike. Dual suspension if cheap can be heavy and not too effective (a pain).

cannondale, specialized, trek, etc...are good recreational mountain bikes (as well as they have good highend). Hard tail for our area will work fine, cut down on complexity, and be lighter.

I would suggest seeing Frank (Frank cyclery in Brier Creek and he is a NORBA PRO Mechanic to boot, No one knows more about Mountain Bikes than he does,) or kevin at SPIN CYCLE has a very good selection and MATT there is great> If in N Raleigh Jeff at Raleigh Trek is also very good. At present I think he only handles TREK but there is nothing wrong with that.)..

PETE

Jeff N.
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I'll just say that you can do better than KHS. A whole lot better. But for your stated purpose, it'd be just fine. Jeff N.

gdw
03-23-2006, 06:57 PM
KHS is a decent company and has a full range of well spec'ed hardtales and full suspension mtb's. They aren't as well known as some of the big boys like Trek, Specialized, Fisher, etc but they have been around for quite awhile and have a good reputation at least among the riders who have used their products. Which model is he trying to sell you and how much is he asking?

Fixed
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
bro didn't john howard have something to do with khs ?

BumbleBeeDave
03-23-2006, 07:08 PM
. . . for my daughter about four years ago from Supergo. I was struck then--and still am--by how much we got for the money. They make no secret the bikes are from Taiwan, but so what?

They also have great customer service . . . 3 years ago at Acadia my daughter sheared her rear derailleur right off after she fell and didn't realize the hanger got bent. She shifted to the big cog to go up a hill, the derailleur went into the wheel and WHAM! I e-mailed KHS when we got home and asked about buying a new hanger, since it's replaceable. The guy asked me to give him my address and a week later I got a package with a very nice letter, a new hanger AND several spares AND a t-shirt for my daughter.

I agree with Pete if he means that a hardtail is simpler and lighter, but disagree with him about getting an inexpensive dualie if that's what he really means. If I were getting one I wouldn't spend a bundle either, since I wouldn't be riding it very often either. But who the heck EVER knows what McKeon means, anyway! ;) :rolleyes: :confused:

BBD

cs124
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I've got a Montana something-or-other from the mid 90's. LX/XT, True Temper OXII, cost me three quarters of bugger all when I bought it new, still going strong.

I think you can do a lot WORSE than KHS for a budget mtb.

scooter01
03-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks Guys,
This purchase would be for a bike unseen. I need to see this to feal comfortable.
Pete you have good advice too, a hardtail would lighter and less expensive.
I think the model is a 2005, that would sell for 1200 and I can get it for 800 plus shipping.

I bet I can do something like this deal close to home in NC if I keep looking.