PDA

View Full Version : What can I get for $100 or less today?

weisan
11-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Let's play a game...so, what can I get for $100 or less today?

Maybe...

1) A discontinued Garmin Virb action camera ordered from Groupon.

2) A set of brand new 650b wheels from eBay seller uglyrm

3) A nice used pair of 10-speed Ultegra shifters

What if I tell you, a 100 bucks will get you THIS, would you have believed me? :eek:

http://alicehui.com/pic/Waterford/IMG_3436_30_2_56.jpg

weisan
11-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Seriously, I just acquired this Waterford 1200 this morning from the local CL.
I wasn't even looking.

Not just the frame/fork, for $100, I got this whole thing.

http://alicehui.com/pic/Waterford/IMG_20141123_115448573_1_37.jpg

weisan
11-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Too good to be true?

Yeah....look closer...

Top tube
http://alicehui.com/pic/Waterford/IMG_20141123_115527836_1_37.jpg

Seat tube
http://alicehui.com/pic/Waterford/IMG_20141123_115531445_1_29.jpg

jtakeda
11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Did you notice the damage before buying it?

It seems some ultegra cranks a xt rear der, some brakes and shifters is worth $100 no?

weisan
11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Other than that....it's 100% genuine, made in Wisconsin, Waterford 1200, henry james lugs, campy headset, Ultegra drivetrain.

I bought it off a gentleman who live...listen to this, just the next street from me...how crazy is that? So technically, shipping is free. :banana:

Apparently he bought it from another person six months thinking that he will build it up and ride it...never happened, finally he got tired of looking at it everyday, and posted it on CL. And I happened to be loitering around last night, I texted him, arranged a time to go down and have a look, like they said, the rest is history....:p

Asked him about the dents...he said he has no idea how it happened, neither does the person whom he bought it from. At that point of our discussion, it became "Buy at your own risk"....and I DID!

You bet your bottom dollar....I went for it with my eyes wide open. :D

dave thompson
11-23-2014, 01:01 PM
A little Bondo and JBWeld will fix that right up! Nobody will ever know.

weisan
11-23-2014, 01:11 PM
A little Bondo and JBWeld will fix that right up! Nobody will ever know.

And if I get into an accident, break a couple of ribs, can I come to your place at Baja to recuperate?

unterhausen
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM
is the seat cluster cracked too? I fixed one, have seen another, and a number of other owners have told me that they had the seat stay crack at the top. And it's always the owners fault for using a seat post that's too small, imagine that.

I used to think that buying frames and fixing them would be entertaining, but the costs just aren't worth it to me. Maybe if I painted my own frames, but I'm not set up for that

I wouldn't ride that on the road, but maybe it would make a good trainer bike

Ken Robb
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM
I think the 1200 series was built with Reynolds 753 tubing and silver brazed. My RS 1100 was a wonderful ride.

oliver1850
11-23-2014, 01:15 PM
A friend in SC fished a beautiful custom frame out a dumpster. It had a cracked DT. He's hung a mostly NOS Mavic group on it to use as wall art.

dave thompson
11-23-2014, 01:17 PM
And if I get into an accident, break a couple of ribs, can I come to your place at Baja to recuperate?
¡Si!

Cicli
11-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Too bad for that frame. I get it rode nice.

weisan
11-23-2014, 01:40 PM
The damage is all on the non-drive side, localized to only the top tube and seat tube, other than the usual wear and tear from normal riding, I didn't see dents anywhere else.

Here are a couple more closeup shots of the dents.

Anyone care to venture a guess or come up with a theory how the dents came about?
Courtesy of UPS-Fedex
?
:hello:

http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3458.JPG

Looking right above the top tube
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3452.JPG

Seat tube
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3453.JPG

Looking from the front
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3454.JPG

From the back
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3457.JPG

Ken Robb
11-23-2014, 01:46 PM
shunned ex-girlfriend?

unterhausen
11-23-2014, 01:51 PM
when I first saw it, I was wondering about a car-related incident. But I'm guessing it fell on something since the rear triangle doesn't seem to have damage. Out of professional curiosity, can you take a picture (from the rear) of the seat stay/seat post bolt area?

jtakeda
11-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Looks like it was locked to a pole that got hit by a car.

giverdada
11-23-2014, 03:39 PM
my serotta looks like that from being on our toyota yaris on a trunk-mounted rack during a rear-end collision with a dodge ram pickup. top tube same dent; seattube same dent; have one in the downtube that is most noticeable. frame is still in my shed. was thinking of making it a chandelier. haven't given up on the idea of it as a commuter. maybe the dents would roll out? maybe i could sleeve them in carbon?:rolleyes:

weisan
11-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Out of professional curiosity, can you take a picture (from the rear) of the seat stay/seat post bolt area?

unter-pal, of course! I am amused that you have taken such interest in my latest girlfriend...hmm...I mean, bike project.
:p

In order to assist further with your forensic investigation, I have taken a couple more shots...if none of them is what you want, just ask, I will do it again, no problem!:rolleyes:

Check out the handlebar. The left shifter was twisted inwards, both rubber hoods torn pretty bad.

The serial number looks to be: M96017

Anyhow, the custom color scheme looks really nice under the sun, even came with matching painted fork (looks like Ouzo Pro to me) and bar tape -- all these tell me this was once somebody's baby. What a shame...just to be clear, when I bought this frame, I wasn't just thinking of saving the parts...I AM going to RIDE it! It's a WATERFORD! for crying out loud, no way am I going to just throw it out without even taking it for a spin down my street.

Look! I put a set of wheels on it - it's almost complete and ready to ride. The shifting was fine despite the banged-up shifters. I just need to change out the handlebar (to a compact) and the stem...find a suitable seatpost, dial in the position a bit...ready to go!
:hello:

http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3492_43.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3488_36.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3508_36.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pic/WF/IMG_3511_2_36.jpg

weisan
11-23-2014, 04:18 PM
shunned ex-girlfriend?

Ken-pal, you didn't say...

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned,"

I took off the handlebar and noticed how the left (same side as dents) was bent in as if a car has hit it from that side. Got to be a pretty big impact to do that. I took a pic.

You know what this reminds me of... Tiger Woods and his infamous "car accident ". :D
I looked it up and the timing is uncanny:p

_----------------------------_------------
Details Reveal How Tiger Woods Was Caught Cheating
Posted: Nov 25, 2013 10:04 AM CST
Updated: Dec 09, 2013 10:05 AM CST

PHILADELPHIA -
It was four years ago this Thanksgiving that Tiger Woods was caught in one of the biggest cheating scandals in the world of professional sports.

And now, a new report reveals that it was text messages that got Tiger caught.

Apparently, his then-wife Elin Nordegren took Tiger's phone while he was passed out on sleeping pills--Tiger Woods had trouble sleeping.

After looking at his phone, Elin found messages from Rachel Uchitel. She then posed as Tiger and began sending Rachel text messages, and the rest is history.

Ken Robb
11-23-2014, 04:22 PM
The Waterford site probably still has info on interpreting their serial numbers.

weisan
11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Ken-pal, you are probably right, I was planning to give them a call tomorrow.

I built it up and took it out for a quick spin around the hood...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l42makm-8Mw
...told you I couldn't resist myself, and it helps that you are your own mechanic.;)

Weighs about 18 Ibs w/o trying too hard.

First impression?
OK.

Gonna reserve final judgment until I get a couple more rides in, maybe do a wheelie, sprint in the big gears, jump some curbs :eek:

weisan
11-23-2014, 06:04 PM
This what it looks like at the end of the day.

Ken Robb
11-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Go to Waterford site; look under Support; find serial numbers. Easy!:banana:

weisan
11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Go to Waterford site; look under Support; find serial numbers. Easy!:banana:

Ken-pal! You just have to spoil the fun and reveal all the secrets, don't you? :D

Month Code: This one letter code corresponds to the month with A=January, B=Febuary and so on. Because I is not used, September=J and December=M.
Year Code: This two digit code is the last two digits of the year – 96 is 1996.
Sequence Number: This three digit number represents the nth frame and/or fork scheduled during the month.

M96017=
December, 1996
17th frame scheduled for the month.

weisan
11-23-2014, 07:15 PM
It uses weird 27.4 seat post. If any of my pal has one for sale, please let me know.

I just checked, no damage at seat stay or collar.:D

Keith A
11-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Nice find Weisan! And I think's even my size :eek:

weisan
11-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Nice find Weisan! And I think's even my size :eek:

Don't worry, it's yours, I am just safekeeping until you come visit me in Austin. :-)

Keith A
11-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Don't worry, it's yours, I am just safekeeping until you come visit me in Austin. :-)You are so thoughtful :)

druptight
11-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Does it pass the "no hands" test? I.E. do you think alignment is still good? Those look like sort of deep dents to have no effect on alignment.

93legendti
11-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Did you check the carbon fork? Life is too short...I wouldn't ride it...

ultraman6970
11-24-2014, 07:39 AM
If you want to beat it, you cant beat 100 bucks. Damm..u cant even get the fork for 100 bucks used. Great find.

If it pass the no hands or no pain in one arm then the frame its ok.

Put some paint in the dents so rust dont catch a way to get in and use some electric tape to cover those areas and call it a day, unless you want to get the tubes replaced if you have the dough to do it.

As for the weight, crap not even my lighter bike weight 17 pounds. Not bad :)

Ralph
11-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Moving van? Doesn't look like riding accident. I think it can be fixed and ridden if you find the right (read not too expensive) person to fix it. If you wish to.

charliedid
11-24-2014, 01:02 PM
There are worse ways to entertain yourself ...:)

weisan
11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
We are going out to play now, see y'all later...

Keith A
11-24-2014, 02:24 PM
We are going out to play now, see y'all later...Weisan pal -- ride report when you return please.

john903
11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Hello I had a Waterford 1200 yes it was built with 753 tube set and it rode beautifully. The only problem was it was to small for me, but I still kept it for 10years until a Hampsten came along at Seattle bike swap and I swapped parts and donated the Waterford frame to a charity. Honestly for $100.00 if it fits you, you may want to look into the cost of having Waterford replace the tubes and a repaint it would it maybe less then a new Waterford frame.
Have a great day

SpokeValley
11-24-2014, 05:49 PM
It sure is purdy...:)

weisan
11-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Weisan pal -- ride report when you return please.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=St7u5BSci5E

Pardon me, the quality is not that great, but should be adequate to serve the purpose.

How do I like it?
It's the proverbial magic carpet ride you would expect out of a well-made, classic steel frame.

I put it through its paces; standing power climbs, high torque low gear flatliner, sprinting out of the corner - it performs flawlessly.

Appreciate all the genuine concerns for my well-being. There's nothing to worry about.

I am gonna ride it as is, no plans to replace the tubes or anything along those lines.

Waterford 1200 serial # m96017:
Welcome to the family. You are official now.:hello:

Ken Robb
11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=St7u5BSci5E

Pardon me, the quality is not that great, but should be adequate to serve the purpose.

How do I like it?
It's the proverbial magic carpet ride you would expect out of a well-made, classic steel frame.

I put it through its paces; standing power climbs, high torque low gear flatliner, sprinting out of the corner - it performs flawlessly.

Appreciate all the genuine concerns for my well-being. There's nothing to worry about.

I am gonna ride it as is, no plans to replace the tubes or anything along those lines.

Waterford 1200 serial # m96017:
Welcome to the family. You are official now.:hello:
Grant Petersen will be delighted to read this. :)

AngryScientist
11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
just seeing this thread. good for you weisan pal. ride the hell out of it!

Nick

weisan
11-25-2014, 08:13 AM
just seeing this thread. good for you weisan pal. ride the hell out of it!

Nick

Thanks Nick-pal, I have every intention to do just that!:banana:

CDM
11-25-2014, 08:30 AM
You got nothing for 100$

weisan
11-25-2014, 08:42 AM
You got nothing for 100$

Pretty much.

Jason E
11-26-2014, 11:41 AM
What was wrong with those VIRBs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
11-26-2014, 02:27 PM
What was wrong with those VIRBs?

Jason-pal, you referring to those video clips? Meh, those were taken using my cheapo moto g phone.

The garmin virb that I ordered from groupon is supposed to arrive this afternoon. I thought I would get to use it on my ride today, no cigar, I waited as long as I could but it was 65 degrees outside bright and sunny, I couldn't hold off much longer, so I went and just got back from a fast 30-miler. I took the Look 585 out instead....got to be fair, everyone in the family take turns to go out and play.

On a side note, I know the Look 585 was good ....but not until today did I know that it was ...THAT good!

It's ridiculous for LOOK to make a bike that good and then to discontinue it.
Seriously, it's stupid :D

nicrump
11-26-2014, 02:32 PM
#delete# already been covered.

weisan
11-26-2014, 03:41 PM
#delete# already been covered.

Oh c'mmon nick-pal, what did you write?? It was deleted before I saw it...are you advising me to up my dental coverage for a new set of teeth? :D
Thank you kindly, to you and yours happy thanksgiving , old pal!

Jason E
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Ha! Just got my groupon VIRB. You need a microSD, by the way. Got my bike mount. Gonna try it tomorrow.

nicrump
11-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Oh c'mmon nick-pal, what did you write?? It was deleted before I saw it...are you advising me to up my dental coverage for a new set of teeth? :D
Thank you kindly, to you and yours happy thanksgiving , old pal!

was gonna suggest it is bent and wanted to know how it tracked.

both dented tube pics look as though the tubes are bent. this would pull the HT out from its starting point. was just curious. here we go making judgements from internet pics.

Happy T'day to you as well. Enjoy this marvelous weather in Austin tomorrow. I'll be painting a frame while the turkey is on the smoker most of the day.

weisan
11-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Ha! Just got my groupon VIRB. You need a microSD, by the way. Got my bike mount. Gonna try it tomorrow.

I got mine too, an hour ago.
You are smarter than me...to pre-order or make sure you already have the bike mount. Garmin does not include it in the package. To me, that's kinda lame. Anyhoo, I will try it out tomorrow after our guests are gone. Let's compare notes. See ya!

weisan
11-26-2014, 08:42 PM
was gonna suggest it is bent and wanted to know how it tracked.

both dented tube pics look as though the tubes are bent. this would pull the HT out from its starting point. was just curious.

I need to come and see you at some point. We have much to catch up but I also want to bring both the waterford and the taylor, need to consult you on a few things. The LOOK 585 can stay home so as not to incur any of your angst. :p:hello:

The top tube is definitely bent, you can tell from the top. The seat tube is harder to tell. It rides "normal" as in, I don't feel any particular desire to go one way or the other, it's relatively neutral in its handling. I won't say it's perfect, that's totally unrealistic and too much to ask especially after what it has been through, but in the hands of the right handler, it's entirely "ride-able."
Kinda like...:D
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/3/16/1331915231874/Black-Beauty-007.jpg

cash05458
11-26-2014, 09:06 PM
yeah Weisan...if it passes no hands test by all means ride it...what the hell...It ain't gonna just snap being steel I would think...I have a lemond zurich made of 853...just one of my bikes but I love the thing...first the head tube cracked, and I mean large....everyone told me not to fix and ride...but I had a buddy weld it ...rode it for about two years...then the bottom bracket cracked all way round and into seat tube even...did a total half as*ed testors paint job by hand on the places where he had to strip the paint and the weld scars are large and ugly...again, everyone told me this NOT to ride it...had same drunk welder buddy weld it yet again (for a 12 pack!)...I am now two and half years beyond that last weld...thing still rocks like nearly 5 years on from original fail and prolly 12,000 miles or so...It's my bad weather bike or when I am too precious about my other "perfect" steel framed bikes ect...so I say ride it...I think you will get some sorta notice before it just explodes...no worries! well, maybe some...but what the heck...

weisan
11-26-2014, 09:13 PM
cash-pal, I like your style, thanks for affirming my stupidity..er..I mean, courage. :banana:

cash05458
11-26-2014, 09:22 PM
cash-pal, I like your style, thanks for affirming my stupidity..er..I mean, courage. :banana:

lol! look man, teeth CAN be fixed...it's why we have those weirdos called dentists...so ride that beauty! Seriously tho, I went against all advice and the thing is so battle scarred and repaired and guys talk about metal integrity ect...and they are prolly right...but she is still going strong...and I love her more every season for that!

on real practical things, I do think you will get some sorta notice...bad creaking...I am no metal expert for sure...but I got that on my second fail on the zurich...and when it went again it was then noticed...but not the CATASTROPHIC failure if you see what I mean...

kittytrail
11-27-2014, 02:27 AM
dentists are great for discerning cyclists: they can and will rebuild your mouth to almost new or better in case your center of gravity goes instataneously from, roughly, above the bottom bracket to ground (or even under said ground) and also for all the nice deals we can get from them when they resell those high end bikes they bought as status symbols that they, most of the time, doidn't even have time to ride, for peanuts on the dolla, of course. ;)

me likes 'em much. :banana:

weisan
11-29-2014, 05:36 AM

Got to play around with the new Garmin Virb Basic action camera in yesterday's ride. It was tethered to my Edge 800 through ANT+ such that when I start the timer, it will automatically start recording. The auto pause functionality worked as well but I turned it off so I have direct control over my recordings. The quality is not too shabby imo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvQvnj1NCs

A few things that I noticed:
1) Using the free video editing software Virb Edit - it was a nice piece of software, feature rich, comes with a generous set of overlays (gauges display) but I was using a 8-yrs old laptop, admittedly under powered and under -rammed in terms of processing speed and memory, takes longer and not as pleasant an experience, a lot of waiting for the machine to catch up on the changes.
2) the timing between the remote external GPS file and the video seems a bit off, not a whole lot but you can tell. The software allows you to sync up the start point between the two to get them line up, so not a big issue there. It would be nicer not having to deal with the problem. The Elite version would eliminate that problem but comes at a premium of shelving out another $100+ plus I already have the Edge going.
3) And this is my main complain. The original package did not come with a bicycle handlebar mount. It should have in my opinion. What i did was improvise one with a clamp. Once it's tightened down, it worked OK, the camera remained secure and stable throughout the whole ride.
4) I like that garmin virb comes with external battery and can be plugged in to charge during use with an external source. And that's what I did during the ride. I brought along a small portable external power pack and plugged it in at the middle of the ride after about 1.5 hours. It sits nicely in my back pocket with a USB cable stretched across to the virb, aesthetically looks a bit weird, but does not bother me a bit nor hinder the riding or my movement in any way. In doing so, it not only prolongs the usable distance/time of the Virb but by the time I was done with the ride, even though it was turned on the whole time , the external battery source had managed to charge it up fully. Pretty cool. I foresee with this setup being able to record rides up to six hours or more.

I played around with the different video modes -slow motion, time lapsed, wide angle etc
They all worked out as advertised. :D

Overall for less than $90, and a discontinued product, I think it's a pretty decent buy. Will play with it more in the next couple of days,

Tony
12-15-2014, 09:42 AM
shunned ex-girlfriend?

That would be my guess.

cnighbor1
12-15-2014, 03:55 PM
dents in tubing can be rolled using the correct device
so why not roll out the dents (which messes up the paint) and just repaint that tube. with that paint scheme would hard to notice if color off a bit
charles

weisan
12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for chiming in Charles.

The dents are actually the lesser of the problems. I took the Waterford out today for a lunch ride and noticed how it pulls to one side deliberately. Somehow it was not as pronounced as before, maybe it's the same, I just missed it completely in my over-exuberance of joy and excitement. So it looks like the frame is out of alignment...by how much I can't tell unless it's put on the alignment table. I consulted Nick pal offline. Basically, to do this right, it needs to be put on the surface plate and cold set to specs.

Or I can just ride it as is...just make sure I attached some weights to one side to counter balance it. :D

It really has a nice ride.