PDA

View Full Version : Cleat realignment after TKR

Plum Hill
11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm curious to know if any total knee replacement (TKR) recipients have had to change their cleat alignment after returning to cycling.

Thanks.

mnoble485
11-23-2014, 01:36 PM
When I got back on the bike after having both knees done I thought someone had snuck in and swapped my bike for one that was close but just "different".

My knees were now brushing the top tube. I needed to change cleat position and orthotics to correct. Once I got everything dialed in and rehab completed things were better than befor surgery.

Are you post op?

Mike

djg21
11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm curious to know if any total knee replacement (TKR) recipients have had to change their cleat alignment after returning to cycling.

Thanks.

I had to move my seat forward after my surgery and then gradually move it back as my musculature and leg strength increased. Initially, it was more about comfort than performance! I also had been using valgus to eleviate some knee pain from the OA before the TKR, and I got rid of that.

You should use a custom insole if you're not already. I use D2 shoes/insoles.

Ti Designs
11-23-2014, 03:51 PM

Yes. There are a few reasons for doing a total replacement, in most cases it's long term degeneration. The knee joint doesn't fail in a straight line, everything about it causes it to fail in one direction or the other. So if this is going on and you're still riding, you should have made some correction to try to stabalize the system. All of the sudden you have this new, perfect pivot - and you have to ask if cleat alignment has to change?

Plum Hill
11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
"...and you have to ask if cleat alignment has to change? "

Yes. When I posed the question to the surgeon, he said "no." Then again, he rides Speedplays.

I'm 10 weeks out tomorrow. First few times on the trainer I noticed the repaired side foot rested on the pedal at a funny angle. Didn't know if that was due to muscle loss or what.
I've been using SPD sandals the past week and everything seems OK. I have noticed my thigh and knee seem to be much closer to the top tube than I recall.
I use Time RKS on the road bikes. I'm waiting for a warm and dry day to try riding on the road.

Thanks.

wallymann
11-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks.

i havent had one, but my mom just did...and seeing how different her leg's geometry is now compared to pre-surgery (she had major cartilage deterioratioin -- which should be common for anyone getting a TKR), there's NO WAY you can avoid needing a cleat realignment post-TKR surgery!