PDA

View Full Version : Hard pack 'cross tires with a bit more puncture protection?

Lewis Moon
11-22-2014, 03:16 PM
I bought a set of Conti CX Speed tires from a P-Liner, and while I LOVE them for their supple ride and low rolling resistance, I've had a puncture on average EVERY ride. No huge blow outs (not counting the crap Challenge latex tubes), just small thorns.Anything out there built on a pretty supple carcass but with an armor layer? I'm not in to the Conti ballistic-rated tank tires.

OK, lets go over what I want.
'Cross tires with:
1) supple casing
2) light (ish)
3) Hard pack tread (no knobbies)
4) 700 x 35c or so
5) more puncture resistant.

Any suggestions?

commonguy001
11-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Have a buddy who had a very similar experience with those Speed CX tires.
Last gravel race he used them for he flatted twice and three times the ride after that and they went into the trash.

He switched to the Clement X'Plor USH 120 TPI (same tires I run on my gravel bike) and hasn't had a flat since. He actually wore a set out without a flat and is on set two.

Not cheap but really solid tire that rolls pretty fast for a big tire. I've used them for multiple mixed surface rides of 100+ and never felt they slowed us down.

AngryScientist
11-22-2014, 03:59 PM
i've been rocking these pretty hard. love them

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-42dA6HgWruk/U9e5byJAofI/AAAAAAAABvA/5NcqsX40uT8/s800/IMG_0091.JPG

Cicli
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Those Jack Browns are really nice.

While not smooth, the Rock and Roads are pretty good too.

RedRider
11-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Try the Clement LAS or on the other hand maybe a Grand Bois

cuwinbs
11-22-2014, 08:15 PM
i put puncture resistant tubes on my cx training wheels.got tired of goat heads we get on some of the trails i ride on.

p nut
11-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Sounds to me going tubeless would be the best option for you.

...Grand Bois

I can tell you from fixing 4 flats last week alone on my Hetre and Cerf tires, they are not puncture resistant. Supple, but about zero protection.

sparky33
11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Challenge Gravel Grinder 700x38. basically a huge file-tread cx tire. It has a puncture resistant strip. They roll really well.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/dc65ad977e4c49d112c35deee4073294.jpg
on Grand Bois tires.... I love love love them but not in places where punctures are major concern.

vqdriver
11-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Why not try a set of sealant tubes? A tire tough enough to resist those flats is not going to ride the way you want. Or try tubeless as mentioned

Lewis Moon
11-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the input. The Clement and the Challenge tires look great. I want a bit more in the way of side blocks for cornering in the loose, so the Jack Brown tires are NSM. While I intend to race CX next year, most of my training is going to be mixed, and I'm thinking I might do the Crusher (http://tusharcrusher.com/).
As for sealant, I must be doing it wrong. So far, two flats with orange seal and I can't tell if it did anything other than burping a bunch of sealant out of the tube and into the tire casing. The hole isn't even that big (small thorn). I'm using undersized tubes....could that be an issue? It's hard to find "performance" (aka: relatively light weight) tubes in the 700 x 35 ish size. I'm using tubes for 28s.

pbarry
11-24-2014, 07:43 AM
SNIP I'm using undersized tubes....could that be an issue?

Yes. Been covered in a few threads this year. Try properly sized tubes.

Lewis Moon
11-24-2014, 07:56 AM
yes. Been covered in a few threads this year. Try properly sized tubes.

thx.

choke
11-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Try some Michelin A2s.

Lewis Moon
11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Try some Michelin A2s.

I'll want something with a removable valve core.

dustyrider
11-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Sounds like goat heads are the thorns causing you the heart ache...the only 100% flat proofing I've found to combat the buggers is thorn resistant tubes, sealant and tuffies. Makes for a heavy wheel and uninspired feel, but flats from goatheads don't happen. If you someone get a puncture, getting the sealant to the leak and refilling is all it takes. Bike shops here offer this setup as flat free for a year guaranteed. The tuffies alone seem to work great for my Clements since I don't want to run all the other crap on the gravel crusher; just my lead sled commuter gets the full treatment as described above. Course goat heads only live where people do; I've never seem them away from civilization...

Uncle Jam's Army
11-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you considered the Kenda Happy Medium tire?