PDA

View Full Version : C-50 review...

catulle
03-23-2006, 11:06 AM
First, please note that the last time I won the TdF, the Giro, and the Vuelta all in one year was back in 1995, and because I'm a bit rusty now this is not the review that you would expect from a full-fledged pro.

I posted a few pictures of the bicycle yesterday, which not surprisingly have passed quite unnoticed in the presence of far nicer breeds such as e-RICHIE's work and Serotta's among others. Anyway, I received the C-50 from Chicago yesterday. The frame is a 54.

In general: This bike is buttery smooth and stable like a rail. It is so smooth that it almost made me feel shy and grateful. Riding it is like being in the arms of a Sweet Briar girl. You can ride it all day long with your hands off the bars, even with dry season northeast winds on your side. This is the smoothest and most stable bicycle I have ever ridden.

What I like: I like the Cinelli Ram bars. I don't like the looks of the gaudy over-the-top design and decals but it is some wonderfully comfortable set of bars. The drops are shallow and I love them. I'll be riding on the drops of this bike as never before. I also like very much the 40cm width, although the books say I ought to be riding 44cm bars.

I like the crisp way the new carbon Record gear functions. I don't know if it is because it is new, but changing gears feels muted and quick compared to my regular Record components.

I don't know why this bicycle is so smooth. It may be because of the Gommaitalia tires, the Fulcrum 1 wheels, the C-50 chainstays, the Ram bar, the longer wheelbase (compared to the C-40), a combination of all of the above, or who the hell knows what. My C-40 feels edgy and intense compared to the C-50. My Cinelli Corsa is not nearly as stable as the C-50, and the frame doesn't dampen a rough road nearly as well either.

What I don't like: I don't like the color and the butt ugly Colnago decals. I don't like the gaudy and cheap Cinelli decals on the bars. I don't like the very loud ratchet noise from the cassette when on free wheel. And the worst part is that the Fulcrum hubs don't have the grease take Campy hubs have in the middle of the hub. I guess I'll have to take the rear hub apart to pack it with grease in order to get rid of the damn noise. It is loud. Maybe they make them that way for the rider never to quit pedaling.

I think the swirly black color of the Record carbon crankset is significantly ugly. I've never been an Italian fashion type of dude anyways.

In purgatory: The Fizik saddle. At first, the Aliante felt wonderful, like a hand in a velvet glove holding your butt. But after an hour or so it began to feel like a skinny girl sitting on your lap. There is a ridge in the middle of the saddle that starts digging right there where no latin macho with two pounds of gold around his neck would let anything get near it. But I have the feeling that this saddle might just be an acquired taste (hmmmm...).

The C-50 "feels" slower than the C-40. It may be the result of the thicker tubes, or the 21mm tires, or who knows what. However, I have the hunch that the C-50 comes alive after 40-50 mph. I can perfectly see this bike smiling when hauling butt down hill at 60.

I really don't know anything about frame flex because even if I felt it I couldn't tell where it flexed. I can't attest with certainty about how much the C-50 would smile after 50 mph because I haven't taken her there yet, and I doubt I ever will. I can categorically assert, though, that this is my best bicycle and the best I have ridden (which ain't much).

I must mention, though, that even more than the C-50 I liked dealing with the people I bought the bike from. I don't think I can or should be boosting someone's business in this forum, but I'm glad to know that there still are some good, decent merchants around.

Thank you for reading.

1centaur
03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Change the tilt on the Aliante.

I agree on the colors - Colnago is WAY too enamored of bare CF for 2006 (probably because the weight is on the high side these days).

Kahuna
03-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Excellent review! I couldn't agree more with your findings. I've taken my C50 over 40mph many times and indeed it provides a very confidence inspiring ride. So far it's been impossible for me to go any faster. I haven't encountered the terrain to enable that. People who report taking their bikes over 50mph make me wonder. It's hard enough to find places where I can break 40 let alone approach 50. Maybe once did I reach 48. They must have some very steep, long hills where they ride. The hills where I live tend to be less steep, but very long and winding. And speaking of hills, the C50 is a very comfortable and efficient climber.

As for weight, it's not superlight as far as carbon frames go, but I've always felt the weight somehow contributes to the bike's overall excellent performance and superb feel on the road. When riding, it's feels anything but heavy.

catulle
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
I feel that if hauling butt fast downhill on the C-50, I'd be grining from ear to ear. On the other hand, when doing the same on the C-40, I'd be thinking about the pros and cons of a christian vs a muslim heaven.

Ray
03-23-2006, 01:39 PM
People who report taking their bikes over 50mph make me wonder. It's hard enough to find places where I can break 40 let alone approach 50. Maybe once did I reach 48. They must have some very steep, long hills where they ride. Believe 'em. The fastest I've ever gone (that I had any way to measure, anyway) was also 48. But once on a long straight, fairly steep hill outside of Pittsburg, I was still picking up speed from about 46 but had to brake to avoid hitting the riders in front of me (it was a tour and there were bikes everywhere - not a smart place to let it go) - I'd have clearly topped 50 if I could have then. I've also been on some crazy steep descents in Nova Scotia and fairly steep in the Rockies where I was hanging on at about 38-40 with a lot of braking going on and had people fly past me like I wasn't moving. I just don't have the stones for that kind of descending even on extremely confidence inspiring bikes. But I've seen enough to know that its very doable if you value speed more than life.

Nice review of the C-50 btw - sounds like a bike I'd enjoy a lot. Love that stable feel.

-Ray

saab2000
03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Good review. Keep it coming.

Ironically, the roads in Switzerland do not lend themselves to really long periods of high speed and this is where a true descender will shine. There are frequent bends and some hairpin turns (especially on the 'real' climbs) and it is hard to really get going without having the fear of God instilled very quickly. The roads are steep and the dropoffs drop off a long way.

That said, I have hit 50 MPH over there and could easily have done more. Fear and traffic prevent higher speeds. I remember doing about 50 on descents in races over there too.

The fastest I ever went for any period of time was in Colorado descending Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat Springs. I think I got about 50-55 MPH and never hit the brakes once. Shallow gradient, but wide turns. In Switzerland the roads are steeper, but are much narrower and have sharp turns.

Either way the skin is coming off if you blow it!!! :beer:

MarinRider
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Four comes to mind immediately:

Northern Approach of Mount Ventoux
Nevada Side of Monitor Pass (Part of the Death Ride)
Whiteny Portal Road (Road that takes you 2/3 way up Mount Whitney, I hit 70MPH with a tailwind there once)
The Climb up Horseshoe Meadows (Just south the Mount Whitney, goest from 3700 feet upto 10,500, 10% average)

LegendRider
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
I hit the high 50's descending Mt. Ventoux in 1994. Remember when Indurain unclipped and almost saw his Tour end? I rode the same stretch hours earlier. The backside of Ventoux has long straightaways without trees so you can really let it rip!

vaxn8r
03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Some road in Northern Kentucky off Rt 8. I hit 68. Very steep, straight and just long enough.

I was about 25 and too stupid to know better.

vaxn8r
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I also hit 66 in the Palos Verdes Road Race one year....in the pack!

catulle
03-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Excellent review! I couldn't agree more with your findings. I've taken my C50 over 40mph many times and indeed it provides a very confidence inspiring ride. So far it's been impossible for me to go any faster. I haven't encountered the terrain to enable that. People who report taking their bikes over 50mph make me wonder. It's hard enough to find places where I can break 40 let alone approach 50. Maybe once did I reach 48. They must have some very steep, long hills where they ride. The hills where I live tend to be less steep, but very long and winding. And speaking of hills, the C50 is a very comfortable and efficient climber.

As for weight, it's not superlight as far as carbon frames go, but I've always felt the weight somehow contributes to the bike's overall excellent performance and superb feel on the road. When riding, it's feels anything but heavy.

My C-50 is slightly lighter than the C-40 when placed on the scale; it is likely that the wheels have some to do with it, though.

CPP
03-24-2006, 01:25 AM
My C50 came in at 1600 gr for a size 55 without fork. OUCH
CP

slowgoing
03-24-2006, 02:29 AM
CP

That's surprising. I have a CT-2 that is about 1360 gr in a 55. I didn't think the all carbon frame would weigh more than the ti/carbon mix. Not that I can tell the difference, though.

CPP
03-24-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm sure that was what the scale said. Itwas just a hanging scale, not a digital one or anything very precise. You know, they really slap the clearcoat on their frames.
CP

Spicoli
03-24-2006, 05:44 AM
CP
Thats way off from my 56, What else did you have on it? I dont remember the exact # but it was pretty light and was also lighter than the Orbea Orca I had prior to it. More around 1100gr. at most. I wrote it down someplace before it was built up.

PS best bike I have ever had. :banana:

Sandy
03-24-2006, 05:49 AM
and it is called the MeiVici. I think that the C-50, as great as it is, might be getting some serious competition.

Sheriff Serotta Sandy

PS- Great review

Climb01742
03-24-2006, 06:59 AM
and it is called the MeiVici. I think that the C-50, as great as it is, might be getting some serious competition.

Sheriff Serotta Sandy

PS- Great review

not to be unduly combative, but the meivici is unproven at this moment, and virtually unridden. the bar for great carbon frames is high. in addition to the c50, there is, in my experience, time and parlee, which at half the price of a meivici, are truly great frames. serotta is, apparently, having a darn hard time even building the frames, much less unseating the rollcall of great carbon frames. someday, it's greatness may be proven. but as of today, it is carbon's version of vaporware. let's wait until quite a few butts are in the saddle before we say that it is competition for quite a few very proven frames.

Grant McLean
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
CP

Not all C50's are the same. It's very possible your frame isn't the same
carbon as the lighter ones.

Is your C50 from 2004?

In 2005 they changed the carbon to "High Modulus" carbon, which allowed
them to drop the weight because it is stonger so they could use less.
The original C50's were heavier than the C40's, as they were made
of the same carbon, but were oversize tubes, and went from 1" headset
to 1 1/8. The correct current name is C50hm, and of course there is the
C50 extreme model too.

-g

catulle
03-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Not all C50's are the same. It's very possible your frame isn't the same
carbon as the lighter ones.

Is your C50 from 2004?

In 2005 they changed the carbon to "High Modulus" carbon, which allowed
them to drop the weight because it is stonger so they could use less.
The original C50's were heavier than the C40's, as they were made
of the same carbon, but were oversize tubes, and went from 1" headset
to 1 1/8. The correct current name is C50hm, and of course there is the
C50 extreme model too.

-g

Not that I'm into weight or that I'll go out of my way for shaving ounces off my bicycles, but my C-50 with Record pedals, water cage, computer, Aliante saddle, Fulcrum wheels, and Record components, weighs a tiny bit less than 16lbs. I was surprised that it is so light.

Sandy
03-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I realized that someone would point out the fact that none of the first orders have even been delivered and hence there is no basis to make any claims.

However, I made my post because of two reasons:

1. This is Serotta's forum and I thought that its new flagship should at least be mentioned in a thread about top level carbon bikes.

2. If past history, innovative ideas, and models actually produced, are of any meaning, then I would think that Serotta's MeiVici will undoutedly be an awesome bike.

I do understand your valid point about the cost of a MeiVici compared to bikes like Calfee, Parlee,Time,...,which offer superb frames at a significantly lower price. The price, to me, is at a level that I have absolutely no interest in test riding or buying one. But the quality of a MeiVici has little to do with its cost to the consumer ( I would think that Serotta might disagree with me here). The choice of purchasing a MeiVici is up to each individual.

Certainly it is premature to laud the virtues of the MeiVici, but I thought it reasonable to mention it on Serotta's forum. Time will tell how it is perceived and how many people are willing to make the expenditure to buy it.

Carbon Serotta Sandy

1centaur
03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1249

This link goes through the weight change on the C50. The current version is not a pig (by my standards) like the old one and is probably better characterized as average in weight for CF, but as a premier brand Colnago must be eyeing the competition increasingly move below 1,000 grams with concern (thus the not-so Extreme C). Ironically for someone who views steel bikes as unpleasantly heavy, I am guessing that heavier CF may tend to ride better than lighter CF, but in 3 years that option may not exist (easily). Given the adulation for the C50 in many quarters, that's worthy of consideration.

I presume Serotta considered this issue when speccing the MeiVici's tubes.

pdxmech13
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
catulle its pretty simple to quite that freehub
remove the lock nut on drive side by turning clockwise
5mm in non drive and a 17-16mm box or cone on the drive
once loose just remove lock nut and pull off the body.
I wouldn't use a thick bearing grease but something lite
a heavy chain lube will work fine too.
just apply a little on the pawls and put her back togther.

SoCalSteve
03-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, that is for a size 65 with a D/A triple, DT/DT/DT 32 spoke wheelset, pedals, Flightdeck, water bottle cages and a Brooks B17 Ti railed saddle...

Comes in at just under 18 lbs. Thats very light for a bike that size fully dressed!

2 pounds less than my 62 Ottrott and 3 pounds less than my 61 Hors Cat...

And yes, it is the HP High Modulus version.

Steve

PS: I do not think there is a nicer all carbon fiber bike made, bar none (and I've owned a few different ones).

mikemets
03-24-2006, 03:04 PM
My 59 c50 comes in just under 17 lbs including everything but saddle bag. By everything, I even mean pedals, computer and cages.

Eurus wheels
Chorus

Not bad, and the ride is pretty good too ;)

ericspin
03-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Don't know much about CF frames, I've ridden them but they do not really fit my style of riding. But I do agree with you about the Aliante. It can be very comfortable for a short while but the hammock style is to limiting to me. On the other hand, I love the Arione. I like to move around on the saddle and like riding long distances so the flat platform of the Arione is perfect. I would rate it right up there with my B-17. Anyway I really enjoyed your ride report, I think these type of reports are my favorite Forum reading.

Eric

The Spider
03-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't believe that Colnagos of any era have been considered 'lightweight' bikes, they have earned there reputation on stability, handling, ride quality, build and exclusiveness.

I also rejoice that they have 1 and 1/8 headsets and not internal...now if only Ernesto would take my calls regarding:

a) the need to have "colnago" on every single surface/tube
b) a 27.2 or 31.8 seatpost, all other sizes are deemed illegal.