PDA

View Full Version : Another Shimano 10 Speed Q.

Len J
03-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I read the following on another site:

---The 10s STI brake/shift levers are 2-cm longer on the hoods than the 9s. If you ride on the hoods a lot be sure to factor that in to your bike fit. Credit for this insight goes to fit guru Richard Schwinn of Waterford Precision Cycles. You'll have to shorten your stem if you're happy with your current position, or get a frame with a shorter top tube. Whatever it takes; 2 cm is dramatic.

2 CM......can that really be true? that's almost an inch longer.

Those of you that switched, did you have to change your bars or stem or both in order to preserve your fit?

Thanks in advance.

Len

LegendRider
03-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I did not change any fit dimesions when I went from 9 to 10. The 7800 levers are designed to sit higher on the bars effectively shortening the reach. Perhaps that explains it.

Bruce K
03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
ditto

BK

Serotta PETE
03-23-2006, 01:58 PM
I did not change bars or stem. Everything worked fine when i converted.

Levers design seem to place the hands a little higher so that might have something to do with why i was able to just convert.

Have 2K plus miles on it and no problems

PETE

Smiley
03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
NOT TRUE , I did shorten my overall fit dimensions due to using these new hoods. In essence they are about 1.5 cm longer in the body , Yes they will sit higher on the bends and that reduced my rise in the head tube extension BUT not on the reach. Come by with your dimensions and any handlebar of your choice and I'll prove it to you.

I think in the end my new reach to the tip of the brifters was about the same given a shorter TT by 1 cm approx.

BTW , I also called and checked with paul levine about this point and he confirmed the 1.5 cm difference , I don't think its 2 cm . Also I saw a client this weekend with a Cadd 6-13 that suffered with this same issue once he purchased his new bike and not compensating for the hoods. If you have BIG hands this will be less of a problem then with smallish hands like mine.

Grant McLean
03-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Ok, so even if the shifters are longer, why change the stem
length entirely? The rest of the hand positions on the bar
aren't any different, and the levers attach to the bar at the
same place.

g

Serotta PETE
03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
NOT TRUE , I did shorten my overall fit dimensions due to using these new hoods. In essence they are about 1.5 cm longer in the body , Yes they will sit higher on the bends and that reduced my rise in the head tube extension BUT not on the reach. Come by with your dimensions and any handlebar of your choice and I'll prove it to you.

I think in the end my new reach to the tip of the brifters was about the same given a shorter TT by 1 cm approx.

BTW , I also called and checked with paul levine about this point and he confirmed the 1.5 cm difference , I don't think its 2 cm . Also I saw a client this weekend with a Cadd 6-13 that suffered with this same issue once he purchased his new bike and not compensating for the hoods. If you have BIG hands this will be less of a problem then with smallish hands like mine.

I stand corrected. Sorry for the mis-information. PETE

Smiley
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Pete , please don't appologize , your not the only one that had this perception . I fussed about this issue more when I re-size myself to the point that I got new bars and took them to an LBS that had shimano 10 speed hoods mounted the spec's on their size cycle and double checked everything . I think this plays out IF you have smallish hands , with larger mits it maynot be visable or noticable to you at first . When using the size cycle with the older style hoods ( The new 105 hoods are on order for my home machine ) I used to allow 0.5 to 1 cm reach shorthened for these new hoods. Also the new hoods are wider too so you grab them differently or they feel different to me due to their shape. Women fits need to really be careful that why with a woman its campy hoods all the way , again with the smallish hands just as mwos has found out. No applogies please .

Len J
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
How much did you have to adjust your reach?

Len

Smiley
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I adjusted about 1 cm in the TT length.

93legendti
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I adjusted about 1 cm in the TT length.

That explains what I have been feeling! On my SN Ottrott ST, I used a Ultegra 10 speed grouppo. The reach seems fine when I am on the hoods, but the reach to the tops seems a little shorter than usual.

jerk
03-23-2006, 08:52 PM
you guys really need to ride your bikes more to be this frucking crazy about something that doesn't matter one iota. the hood is longer becasue the part you don't hold on to is bulkier and bigger. at most the difference in shape could cause a 1cm stem change- it didn't matter for anyone the jerk knows who actually rides their bike; except for some guy named johs, and he's nordic....and as a former teammate told the jerk about the swedes, "they may look like us, but they're not at all like us...."

jerk

93legendti
03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I ride 7 days a week--how about you?

hey...why don't you talk about the subject of the post and not personally attack a member of this forum in a way that is irrellevent to the post?...as you were,

jerk

Fixed
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I think the jerk is right the pros didn't change when they got new shifters .
bro i think the jerk rides as much as any three bros i know .
i.m.h.o. cheers

jerk
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
I ride 7 days a week--how about you?

if you're changing your stem by 2cm because you got new brake hoods on your bike, it doesn't matter if you ride 14 days a week like roy munson. both of you are still a little crazy- like patsy cline imho bro yo cheers.

for what its worth the jerk is far too fat to ride a bicycle. he's moved on to bigger and better things like lunch.

jerk

Len J
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
you guys really need to ride your bikes more to be this frucking crazy about something that doesn't matter one iota. the hood is longer becasue the part you don't hold on to is bulkier and bigger. at most the difference in shape could cause a 1cm stem change- it didn't matter for anyone the jerk knows who actually rides their bike; except for some guy named johs, and he's nordic....and as a former teammate told the jerk about the swedes, "they may look like us, but they're not at all like us...."

jerk

Jerk:

I haven't tried the new 10 speed, just starting to think about it. I was surprised at the increase in length and was trying to see what others experience was before I found out I might have to replace my bars or stem.....what's wrong with that?

len

Sandy
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Nothing.

Sandy

jerk
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Jerk:

I haven't tried the new 10 speed, just starting to think about it. I was surprised at the increase in length and was trying to see what others experience was before I found out I might have to replace my bars or stem.....what's wrong with that?

len

dude-
nothing is wrong with that. the shifter is shaped differently its not going to change things in any real way. the shifter still attaches to the bar in the same place--they just have a slightly different shape, its not going to make a bit of difference, except that it shifts better and you will probably like the shape and feel of it better.

jerk

Fixed
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
bro why not have a spring camp in fla . with the jerk and a bunch of bros from the forum ? I'll do some ground work for you

Len J
03-23-2006, 09:23 PM
:no: :no: :) dude-
nothing is wrong with that. the shifter is shaped differently its not going to change things in any real way. the shifter still attaches to the bar in the same place--they just have a slightly different shape, its not going to make a bit of difference, except that it shifts better and you will probably like the shape and feel of it better.

jerk

I wasn't worried about a nominal change, but when I read they were 2 cm longer........Hell would you ride if you had to change your stem from a 13 to an 11? :)

Thanks for the info....just what I was looking for.

Len

93legendti
03-24-2006, 06:37 AM
if you're changing your stem by 2cm because you got new brake hoods on your bike, it doesn't matter if you ride 14 days a week like roy munson. both of you are still a little crazy- like patsy cline imho bro yo cheers.

for what its worth the jerk is far too fat to ride a bicycle. he's moved on to bigger and better things like lunch.

jerk

Don't you fret, just like new bars with a different reach can necessitate a stem change for some, people were lookin' for info re: new hoods. OK? You might need to wrench less and ride more. :) I'll loan you my Ibis mountain bike with drop bars!

Smiley
03-24-2006, 06:57 AM
LenJ , you are perfectly correct to bring this point up, again I said that I knew about this and had corrected for this in my fits using the 9 speed hoods BUT when it came to my own fit I had the time to verify this fact. I know its not 2 cm and in actuality is more like 1 cm BUT again if you have larger hands this difference does not get noticed as much .

Len J
03-24-2006, 07:55 AM
LenJ , you are perfectly correct to bring this point up, again I said that I knew about this and had corrected for this in my fits using the 9 speed hoods BUT when it came to my own fit I had the time to verify this fact. I know its not 2 cm and in actuality is more like 1 cm BUT again if you have larger hands this difference does not get noticed as much .

I'll have to play with it if I decide to pull the trigger.

I'm even thinking of trying Campy again after having abandooned it 7 or 8 years ago.

Len

Smiley
03-24-2006, 07:57 AM
If you go Campy , lengthen the reach on your bars or add a cm to your stem, No kidding :)