PDA

View Full Version : Bikes not in your stable anymore...

Grant McLean
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
So after looking at those fabulous lists of bikes that ya'll own,
it got me thinking of the ones that got away.

I haven't sold too many bikes over the years, but a few stick
out as boneheaded maneuvers. One's I'm willing to admit here:

86 Marinoni 531sl (stupidly repainted a classic... then sold it)
88 Gios Pro with SSC grouppo
90 Fat Chance Wicked

I had a Nishiki touring bike in the mid 80's that I had repainted and
custom rack mounts and braze-ons, that I don't even remember
selling! D'oh!

Lets hear your moments of weakness!

-g

Len J
03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I sold an MX leader back in the 90's when life got me out of riding for a few years.....I always regretted it.

I finally bought another last year and will never let this one go.

Len

spiderman
03-23-2006, 11:06 AM
my raleigh m7000 (mountain bike)
to a guy who couldn't afford a bike
and was moving to the northshore of minnesota
and wanted/needed one.
...i've often wondered if he has ever had it out!
i miss it
and sense that it has been penned up/not seen the light of day...
i'd feel much better about it if i knew it were muddy
and commuting to work every day!

Ozz
03-23-2006, 11:16 AM
1987 Novara Ponderosa MTB...didn't ride it anymore...

1993 Specialized Allez Pro...nice bike, compromise purchase, too small, didn't ride since I got my CSI, sold to a buddy just getting into cycling.

sevencyclist
03-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I have had only 5 bikes in my life.

First was a Cannondale M400 from 1988 which I gave to my brother and he lost it.
Second bike was a 1991 Bridgestone MB-3 with lugs and the great Green and Tusk color paint. After 6 months, I traded the MB-3 plus $100 cash for a Gios Torino.
Third bike Gio Torino Anniversary had Super Record with stamped crank, seatpost, stem, and a great fork crown. Unfortunately I sold that bike when I needed room in my garage about 6 years ago.
Fourth bike is a Bridgestone MB-Zip from 1991. I still have the MB-Zip and now use it as a commuter/all arounder.
My fifth bike is Seven hardtail MTB which is my main ride.

Now I am waiting on my sixth bike from e-Richie which I hope to have in 2008.

I don't think I will sell anymore of my bikes in the future.

e-RICHIE
my 2 hurlows...
what was i smoking?
bwaaa. i want them back.

davids
There's only one bike I really regret losing - My Raleigh Chopper.

http://www.bikeicons.com/images/1970m%20Raleigh%20Chopper.jpg

I had a pretty, late-80s Pinarello, but it was too big for me, so I didn't regret letting go. It went to a good home - A student at MA College of Art who thought it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. That made me happy.

It looked something like this:

http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/sept/Gavinsheehan-1.jpg

znfdl
03-23-2006, 11:28 AM
My 1957 Frejus Track bike that I sold to Too Tall's Queen. She will not sell if back to me. :(

Ti Designs
03-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Two bikes spring to mind. My Seven Odonata and my Raleigh fixed gear commuter. My Seven didn't get away, it got voted out of the stable. My commuter keeps coming back. I was far too drunk to ride it home one night, so I left it in Harvard square, figured it was lost for good. A few months later it shows up in the basement of Wheelworks. The last time I used it I was offered a ride home, so I took the lock (the only part worth anything) and left the bike. I expect that bike to show up again, it always does.

Dave B
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
When I got married I had to sell my 2001 Trek Postal bike. No it may not be some super hi zoot custom frame builder, but I have an obession with Lance and many of the riders on that have been associated with that team.

My wife and I needed money and she was sitting there. So I sold her. First bike I ever sold.

As of Friday I am expecting the same model and paint scheme to arrive on my door.

It has taken me 5 years to be able to get her back.

I also had a world champion S-Works (think Mario) and was tired of be run off of the road by redneck idiots where I live because they thought it meant gay.

Now I am a better rider so it would be fun to blow them a kiss as I got out of the way. :)

PanTerra
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I had a couple of Peugeots in the 80s. One, a 1987 Peugeot Sante, with a 531SL frame and fork, sold to a friend, still has it and would sell it back to me if I wanted it, since he got an Atlanta.

THen there was the 1984 Peugeot PGN10. A Reynolds 501 frame and fork that came stock with Simplex, Nevar, Weinmann components that lasted about 4 years. I replaced the components (Campy Nuovo Record) in beautiful condition, taken off another bike and bought the gruppo for $150. The brake pads were new, still had the price tags on them. Then I sold the bike on consignment at my LBS for $200.00. :crap: :crap: :crap:

djg
03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
It turns out that if you love your Masi and you let it go, it doesn't come back to you. Not even if it was meant to be yours. That's my experience, at any rate.

sspielman
03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
The one that I really regret letting go was an Andre Bertin C-37. It had a beautifully built frame of Reynolds 531 with long-point Italian lugs. It had the full complement of French racing parts from the day: Stronglight 105, Mafac 2000, Simplex Super LJ's, Maillard 700, Ideale, etc. It was an outstanding bike...especially for a 16 year old kid. When I first expressed an interest in a Bertin, I called the importer for information. We talked at some length about French parts, etc. Luckily for me, he thought that I would provide a good home for a C-37....he asked me to put my father on the phone. I have no idea what the conversation was, but he made the deal happen. I ended up getting the bike for a bargain price. This bike was very much like a DeRosa in its road manners and appearance....but with funky French parts. I loved the way that other riders would look at the Simplex derailleurs and say, "I've never seen anything made by Simplex that wasn't plastic...."

SoCalSteve
03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
But, the one that sticks out as a truly bonehead move was when I sold my Moots RigorMootis hard tail MTB. That was truly a beautiful bike in every way!

A few others that come to mind:
Calfee Luna Pro
Colnago C-40 BStay
Seven Axiom
Trek OCLV
Trek Y-Foil (but I got another one to take its place)
LandShark Roadshark

I know there are a ton more...

Steve

Samster
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
An old Melton steel frame. 49cm (too small for me, but rode it well anyway...)

It was my first race bike. Handled beautifully as I recall. All Nuovo Record (except Super Record chainrings) with Saturae (I think) tubular rims and a 13-17 Regina Oro cluster. It had Clement tires (usually.) I built those wheels my self and was really proud of how well they held up.

I had to replace the fork because of a stupid accident involving the insertion tip of one of those cheap architectural lamps getting wedged between the spokes and fork blades while hauling stuff back from the bookstore during my second year of college (1982). Never handled the same afterwards.

I sold it in 1986 after 7 years of ownership. I didn't ride again until 1997. It was red.

Joel (on this forum) may remember this bike.

Lanternrouge
03-23-2006, 12:32 PM
The ones no longer with me that I wish I had back are a 1999 Aegis Aro Svelte and a 1996 Legend TI.

I didn't truly appreciate the Aegis until after I sold it and replaced it with a beer can.

The Legend was lost due to theft. It was fully painted in Big Boy Blue. I never saw another like it, which was part of the charm.

Fixed
03-23-2006, 12:33 PM
bro a.d. -531 peugeot px10 colnago master -mexico had them all at the same time all mint cheers :beer:

david
03-23-2006, 12:45 PM
not too sexy or "classic." but it was cool. bright blue with gold panels, black letters, full dura ace group. circa '81. with concor saddle, benotto tape, gp4s (the original arayas were crap), and barum sew-ups.

dbrk
03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Honestly, I've had dozens, too many bikes, over the years, none to regret because each one gave me an experience to remember. But there is one, only one I wish I still had. I fell on hard times a decade ago and I sold my Rene Herse Gentleman. It was the perfect city bike. It is in great hands and perhaps someday I will have it back. Full racks, lights, inverted brake levers on French priest bars, it on my yahoo.photos site (look for dvicakrababa's photos on yahoo).

sigh,

dbrk

texbike
03-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Over the past two years I've sold off a bunch of old bikes including:

-a mid 80s Guerciotti (SL tubing)
-a 1994ish Guerciotti (TSX tubing)
-late 80s fully-chromed Torpado (SLX tubing)
-early 80s Colnago Mexico (Colnago mystery Columbus tubing)
-mid 80s Olmo (SL tubing)
-1974 Raleigh Competition (531)
-1974 Raleigh International (531)

The only one that I truly miss is the 1994 Guerc. However, my neighbor now owns it. It's only a matter of time before he leaves the garage door open for a little too long.... ;)

Texbike

e-RICHIE
03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
one of these* will be on the block soon
and i know i'll regret if, even after i get
that big check atmo...

*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bobbesrs/album?.dir=3f18&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bobbesrs/my_photos

My Masi will be your joy forever -

roman meal
03-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Say it ain't so..

Did the property taxes go up that much in Chester?

PBWrench
03-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Mid 60's Frejus, Reynolds 531 DB main triangle, SG in forks and stays. Full Campy NR with a nifty suede Unicanitor/Cinelli saddle. It was kind of a puky beige w/red headtube and panels. Classic Frejus but in my youthful ignorance I had it completely chromed. It looked awesome. I loved it faithfully until I abandoned it for my first Raleigh Pro. The Frejus went to a friend. That friend went somewhere. Where is that bike now?

Tom Kellogg
03-23-2006, 01:47 PM
- '74 Schwinn World Voyager. This is the one that I got hit on when I was touring in southern England. That crash got me interested in bicycle mechanics, then into frame building.

- '75 Holdsworth. This is the frame that I bought in East Penge when the car hit my Voyager. The concept that a frame was something separate and different from a bicycle finally hit me over the head when I walked (limped) into the Holdsworth shop. Many years later, I repainted the Holdsworth and gave it to my father. At 90, he still has it.

- The first frame that I built in the fall of '76. In '78 I rebuilt it to fit Pam Dollar who became a national level track rider and married Paul Deem, national team member.

- The first track bike I made (#3). Don't know where it is now.

- My first mountain bike. I never took to off-road riding and eventually gave it to my son-in-law. I am told that it works well. I sure as he** can't judge.

Ray
03-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I've sold a mess'a bikes. I'm gonna list 'em just for the mental exercise. Not more than a couple of notables, but all contributed to the education:

40 pound Nishiki 10-speed to my bro-in-law after he lost his license. Promptly
got it stolen from outside a bar. Friggin' idiot.
Specialized Allez - lugged steel, early 90s - my first "adult" road bike.
Performance Hardtail MTB - first adult bike of any kind - had lots of fun on it
Jamis Aurora
Jamis Aurora - not a typo. Made the exact same mistake twice!
Heron Road
Heron Touring
Rivendell All-Rounder
Specialized stumpy double boinger - the only one I really wish I still had
Marin Santa Rosa or something like that - internal hub hybrid commuter
Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Bike Friday New World Tourist
Brompton folder - an earlier model. The newer ones rock - a definite keeper.
Litespeed Classic
Merckx Ti AX
Rivendell custom, but custom for somebody else, evidently not shaped like me
Lemond Poprad - not technically sold, but elsewhere, probably for good

I know I'm forgettin' something. Probably have a couple more on the block in the next couple of months sometime.

-Ray

Bruce K
03-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Bikes sold:

Santa Cruz Heckler FS MTB
Santa Cruz Superlight FS MTB

Both nice bikes but I don't miss 'em at all.

2 - Redline Conquest cross bikes - 1 mine, 1 my son's

I don't miss them either as they were replaced by a Cannondale XR800 cross bike (now my son's) and the Concours CX with the polished "inferno" finish.

BK

quattro
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
OK, lets see how good the memory is:

-Brown Schwinn Continental '71(stolen)
-Red Schwinn Continental '72(stolen)
-Yellow Schwinn Super Sport '72 (given away)
-Red Fuji S-10-S '73(sold)
-Trek 620 Touring bike '81, ridden across the USA-(still own it)
-Red Trek 760 '82 (sold it)
-Puegeot three main tube carbon fiber/aluminum rear end and fork '86 (sold it)
-Supergo Mountain Bike '88 (still own it)
-Santana Celantro Tandem '91 (still own it)
-Serotta Colorado CR '93 (sold it)
-Serotta Legend Ti '99 (sold it)
-Specialized E5 Zebra stripe '03 (sold it)
-Schwinn S80 Full CF Mountain Bike '02 (sold it)
-Soft Ride '03 (sold it)
-Fondriest X-Status '04 (sold it)
-IF Crown Jewel Ti '04 (love it)
-Parlee Z1 '04 (love it)

I think I got them all. For some on this forum a list of 17 bikes is just the tip of the iceburg, for me it is a life time history and road map. I love the two bikes I presently own and since they are both custom I am not looking for anything new.

scrooge
03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
This is not a bike I ever owned, just one that I passed up the chance to buy last year. I was just starting the process of ordering my first custom (curtlo)when I stumbled across a two year old Rivendell road bike with Campy Record (but bar-end shifters) for a mere 1800. I passed it up because I thought the top tube might have been a tad long. Now I suspect it would've been about perfect.
I still think about that one a lot since I'll never be able to afford a new Riv and my chances of finding another used one in my size are next to nill.... :crap: :crap: :crap:

eddief
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
In the last few years I found a NOS Spanky with original steel fork. I liked it then, but I'd appreciate it more now. Not too many around and this one had a one off paint job that was fine. It was big the way I like em and would be fun to still have around. I think it was a better bike than I realized at the time I got antsy and sold it off.

saab2000
03-23-2006, 02:30 PM
The only bike I miss at all was a Peugeot. It was from the early '80s and was light blue. The brazing was very sloppy and the fork was bent. But it was still somehow aligned and worked fine. I don't remember the model number, but I think it was made of Reynolds 531. At one point I installed a Shimano Ultegra headset with sealed bearings and also had an English threaded BB installed. No regrets at all. That thing was great after all that.

The only weird thing was that it would not accept short reach brakes. Most of the time I used Record Delta brakes, so this was a non-issue. They are very adjustable for height. But finally I put those back where they belong (on my 87 Grandis) and had to get some Shimano RX100 long-reach brakes. No biggie, but it seems like that was the end. The springs on those were wimpy and the crispness of the levers was gone.

I had it 'til about 3 years ago when I finally had enough of cleaning off the rust and crap in Lugano. I had better bikes by then, and got rid of it.

The contact points of that bike were very good and the handling was pretty good. It was a solid and reliable ride which never complained and was not high-strung. It just worked and worked and worked and worked. I raced it in 1991 in Philadelphia and in 1987 at Superweek and during the 90s in Switzerland at various events. It went from clips and straps and French parts to Time Equipes and Record 8-speed, with everything in between.

I paid very little for it and it took better care of me than I took of it.

It went into the metal recycling about 3 years go. The rust was getting tough to keep up with.

PS - It was French, but not "French Fit". The seat was WAY up there and the stem was 'modified' to get it lower. I don't have a digital picture, but I do have a snapshot which I keep. Maybe I should take a picture of the snapshot and post it here.

roman meal
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I had the opportunity to purchase an Eisentraut Rainbow, yellow, all Campagnolo c-record. Even though I never owned it, I feel as thought I let it go. Anyone around here own one?

"Then, fare you well, fare you well,
Life for us has just begun;
Don't regret, ne'er forget
This dear class of ninety one.
Hours of pleasure, our mem'ries treasure,
Life's best moments for these we sigh;
Thoughts of gladness will scatter sadness,
When we're dreaming of days gone by.
We are sighing, for time is flying,
Soon we part from friends so dear;
Guiding teachers, God's favor'd creatures,
Ah! good-bye to all friends here."

OldDog
03-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I had a '75 Gitane Tour de France, green, Simplex, tubies. Today I wish I had that back. Also a '80 Paramount road. White with SR.

Maybe up for grabs soon is a 80ish DeRosa, CycleArt repaint, white with red ht and st panel. NOS SR, 53cm. Fun vintage bike, tight wheelbase, not "stage" geo. Ugo's attempt at a US crit bike. I just don't ride it. And maybe a 95 Spectrum Ti road with Time fork. Again 53. I'd like to put the money toward a Weigle or Kirk.

BigDaddySmooth
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
The ones I have sold--1990 Bianchi SLX (celeste of course), 1997 Tommasini tecno (tig'ed genius tubeset) and a 2001 Strong foco w/ Wound Up fork. No regrets but I sort of miss the Strong.

Serotta PETE
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Norton 750 Commando

YO!!!
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Sachs Track #115
Sachs 25th Replica
'78 Sachs Signature
Confente #022
'59 Legnano Roma Olympiad
'69 Cinelli Speciale Corsa
'93 Cinelli Super Corsa
Italian Masi Gran Criterium
Carlsbad Masi GC #28
'77 Colnago Super
Colnago Master Pui
'70s Gios Torino
'82 Pinarello
80s Rossin
80s Bertoni
80s Pogliaghi
83 DeRosa
82 Olmo
78 Holdsworth
60s Chesini
70s Mercier
Fuji S-12
Bob Jackson
70s Legnano
72 Schwinn Paramount
Merckx 7/11
Litespeed

I know there were several others along the way.

These all have deserving new owners and the proceeds were used to
purchase my current 4 keepers.

andy mac
03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
1980 Redline Proline - white frame with red 'bits'. Sold it to my little bro's buddy around 1985.

About 2 months ago i called my mum (mom!) and asked he to call the kid's parents house and see if he still had it. i was hoping it was stuck unloved under their house so I could buy it back and restore it.

sadly they had no idea where it is.

(both my mum and his mum thought a 37 year old wanting a too small, old bmx bike was really weird. actually, they may be right...)

:beer:

Jeff N.
03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
A few 'Dales: an SR-800, an SR-700 (tri) and a red team Saeco. OH! And a Dean El Diente. It was WAYYYYYY too big. Jeff N.

Marron
03-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Falcon San Remo sold in 1973 to buy a Beetle and my Bridgestone MB-1 sold for no good reason.

pale scotsman
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I miss this one.http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4070&stc=1

saab2000
03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
This is my old Peugeot. A picture of a picture. The bike was a good one. I miss it, but I know it was "worn out" when I got rid of it. It served well. It is probably now serving as someone's car or soup can. It was recycled.

slowgoing
03-24-2006, 02:47 AM
I didn't like the ride of the calfee tetra pro so I gave it to my brother. He didn't like it either so it sits unused in his garage. So I bought him a cheap used Serotta Atlanta recently because I like mine so much. Kind of regretted giving it to him because it has a nicer paint job than mine. Now he's a Serotta convert - he really enjoys it and rides all of the time.

d_douglas
03-24-2006, 03:01 AM
In a fit of stupidity, I sold my Bonty CX while living in Switzterland and returning to Canada to go back to grad school.

I sold it ot a nice American guy who I am pretty certain never uses it. I have returned and been in touch with him (he is a running buddy) and if timed right /given the right circumstances I am going ot see if I can buy it back from him.

It had Campy Chorus 8-spd and is what I think a good CX bike should be. It handles like a MTB, so it felt a bit ugly on the road, in my opinion. My wife helped me buy a Serotta recently and I promised no bikes for a few years, but this one is calling my name!!! She's nostalgic, so maybe she'll cave in!

Samster
03-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I didn't like the ride of the calfee tetra pro so I gave it to my brother. He didn't like it either so it sits unused in his garage. So I bought him a cheap used Serotta Atlanta recently because I like mine so much. Kind of regretted giving it to him because it has a nicer paint job than mine. Now he's a Serotta convert - he really enjoys it and rides all of the time.

hey, can i be your brother too?

stevep
03-24-2006, 04:42 PM
This is a memory test:
Schwinn varsity. I was ecstatic when it was stolen. dreadful bike to ride 1970
Raleigh grand prix. Got me into the sport. Nice bike… Reynolds frame..
Gitane grand sport. Not terrible. started working at a shop
Gitane interclub came with sew-ups…huh, glue the tires on?
Raleigh competition green. Light and very flexy lug work not like sachs
Raleigh competition black “
Zeus professional. Super comfortable ride
Roberts 531 race frame. Not bad
Mercian touring frame. Speed wobble w/ bags 1980
Atala race bike ( borrowed ) but spent a summer touring with. Had to rebuild wheel in England when touring
Chris chance sport touring bike. Rode 220 miles one day… nice ride. had my own shop
Ross signature ( jim redcay built).. campy s record. Front brake bolt drilled in the fork crown a little crooked. Drove me nuts.
Derosa team blue.. heavy but rode nice. Guy offered me too much money for it
Derosa ortensia ( celeste ). Same bike buy green
E merckx 753. liked this bike. 1990
E merckx sl faema liked this bike
Look Bernard hinault ( sold after one ride…a record. That bike was awful, unrideable )
Rossin slx w/ mavic still have this bike... only 7 speeds... ha, needed more
Self built touring frame..still kicking. Gave it away
Ritchey cross winter bike now w/ fenders
Merlin extra light original. sold 2000
Merlin extralight.nother one built custom. sold my shop. moved on
Time special pro still have, 2nd bike- clean roads
Time vxr “a” bike now 2006

For the sake of space I leave out mt bikes… probably had 15 of those… no full suspension… some w/ suspension forks. Fat chances, wojcik, merlin… not much junk.
Only 1 still… a merlin

Every one fairly well used. No collection really…

Tony Edwards
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow - some of you are amazingly prolific. I tend to adapt to bikes, and I'm not all that finicky.

Bikes I no longer own:

- Early 80s Motobecane (no idea on the model)
- 1983 Miyata 310
- 1991 Bridgestone MB-3
- 1991 Bridgestone MB-Zip
- 1994 DeRosa Professional (SLX)

Bikes I still own:

- late '80s Woodrup (531)
- 1995 Serotta ATi
- 1999 Moots VaMoots

slowgoing
03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
hey, can i be your brother too?

One more brother and I think I'd be in bankruptcy.

Although I am glad he's riding again. What a difference a bike can make.

He may have a stock tetra pro for sale soon.

nicrump
03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
my 1985 paramount. i'd give my left shift lever to have it back!

fishbolish
03-25-2006, 08:28 AM
the bike I realy regret selling was:blue gios super record /super record (sold It to get cinelli ,orange pearl,SL)which I thought was the cats ***.Only to ride briefly many years later (the gios)& realize it was a better riding frameset.still looking for a 59cm to replace it(priced within reason,hell I even have the decals )
others:
mantis valkyrie MTB ( now lives in germany)
eisentraut track frame
potts fillet brazed MTB w/powercams

Its funny how things change,(drooling over bike mail order catalogs in the early 80's,back then it was the equivalent of bike porn)....I still drool,but just appreciate things differently.

CJH
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Will probably never stop regretting I sold this beautiful Bomber Pro Keirin frame! Although I replaced it with an equally beautiful 3Rensho frame I wish I had them both! At least I have it well documented... What was really nice with the Bomber Pro was that it had been in use in the Keirin circuit in Japan, the tag on the top of the seat-tube states rider Suzuki and Sasebo Keirin-Jo (track). Oh well live and learn I suppose... :confused:

jcmuellner
03-28-2006, 03:50 AM
1983 Waterford Schwinn Paramount. I love my Merckx MXL and my Heron Road, but the Paramount was sweet.

Samster
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
One more brother and I think I'd be in bankruptcy.

Although I am glad he's riding again. What a difference a bike can make.

He may have a stock tetra pro for sale soon.

you mean i'd have to... like... buy it?

Samster
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Will probably never stop regretting I sold this beautiful Bomber Pro Keirin frame! Although I replaced it with an equally beautiful 3Rensho frame I wish I had them both! At least I have it well documented... What was really nice with the Bomber Pro was that it had been in use in the Keirin circuit in Japan, the tag on the top of the seat-tube states rider Suzuki and Sasebo Keirin-Jo (track). Oh well live and learn I suppose... :confused:

Niiiicce frame! But what kind of name is "Bomber Pro" and why would a Japanese builder want to name it that?

PanTerra
03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Niiiicce frame! But what kind of name is "Bomber Pro" and why would a Japanese builder want to name it that? maybe the builder was really into Roller Derby. :bike:

Serpico
03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
CJH, nice frame! 3Rensho is nice, but what were you thinking! :D

Ever checkout E-Framebank? Some cool stuff there, but I've never seen anything as classy as that Bomber Pro that was a Kerin frame.

nice :beer:

CJH
03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I wasn't! Thinking... Nevertheless I would consider the Rensho the nicer of the two which is how it went down but as time goes and I'm now fortunate to afford more than one I wish I still had that frame... Yes, e-Framebank, I "stop by" there every now and then but everything is quite small (need 57c-c for the track)...Anyways...

Fixed
03-29-2006, 07:17 PM
bro 2 of my old bikes i miss one and not the other .cheers

scrooge
03-29-2006, 07:38 PM
bro 2 of my old bikes i miss one and not the other .cheers

I suspect you miss the bottom one?

BoulderGeek
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
1981 Raleigh Super Grand Prix 12, lugged 531, stolen
1982 Raleigh Super Course 12, lugged 531, buckled frame, still in Dad's basement
1986 Nishiki Terra Runner MTB, Aspen, CO
1988 Bertoni SLX, Suntour Superbe Pro, rusting under some wood planking waiting to have rust removed (oops I guess it didn't get away)
1996 Klein Pulse II MTB, XTR, last year before Trek took over
2000 Specialed Allez, Ultegra

DRZRM
06-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Funny to see this thread back, as just last week I told the guy I sold my 93 Fat Chance Wicked to that if he ever wanted to move on to a new bike, I'd buy it back at any point. I love my Moots YBB, but no bike will ever ride like a Fat Chance steel hard tail. I'd kill a man for a Yo Eddie Ti in my size.

I also loved the Merlin ExtraLight I let get away in 94, but I replaced it with my Legend, and have never really looked back.

Fat Robert
06-27-2006, 06:39 PM
1996 marinoni slx -- 58.5x58, 72 sta...some crazy steep hta but the trail was probably around 55mm...great handling bike, my all time favorite...then my shop manager said "you're too far behind the spindle" and I was dumb enough to listen and the bike awfulness began.

bostondrunk
06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Cannondale

mike p
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Have sold many bikes but the only one I really wish I had back was an old bright orange Kabuki, nothing special but it was my first real race bike (sob, sob).

Mike

Vancouverdave
06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Two stand out: my 1971 Lejeune Champion du Monde--maybe someday I'll make a duplicate. A 1983 Davidson Discovery touring bike. Sold it to a friend, and unfortunately it was boosted from his workplace. Maybe it'll show up again one of these days.......

Lunar Probe
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Do mountain bikes count? I had a Cannondale Beast Of The East, which I rode almost exclusively for 4 years. Went through two warranty exchanges, when it cracked right past the top weld on the underside of the downtube both times. The 3rd frame was a survivor. That bike was the monster tech singletracker... :banana:.. this rcollection is definitely a banana moment.

Roy E. Munson
06-27-2006, 08:36 PM
I wish I still has my Raleigh Winkie. I really had one, no schit.

atmo
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
my first (of three) hurlows from 1971.
words would be useless. so, a moment
of silence atmo -

thank you

pale scotsman
06-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Another one was an '86 Schwinn Cimarron ATB. First indexed mountain bike I ever had. It ruled. Some dirtbag stole it from under the stairs in college.

obtuse
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
bikes i had that i don't anymore that i wish i still had;

my spx kermesse merckx race bike.....

the c50....

the rest of'em were disposed of because they weren't really worth keeping. with those two though the story was different. the first one went because i was convinced i would never ride a frucking road bike again and would devote my life to other pursuits. the second one went because i am an idiot. it was perfect in pretty much every way and i just figured the next bike would be just as good. it wasn't.

obtuse

atmo
06-27-2006, 09:13 PM
bikes i had that i don't anymore that i wish i still had;

my spx kermesse merckx race bike.....

the c50....

the rest of'em were disposed of because they weren't really worth keeping. with those two though the story was different. the first one went because i was convinced i would never ride a frucking road bike again and would devote my life to other pursuits. the second one went because i am an idiot. it was perfect in pretty much every way and i just figured the next bike would be just as good. it wasn't.

obtuse

i did have a cool gorinchem from amsterdam concurrently
with my first hurlow. it was an awesome road bike and
exteremely rare iirc.

obtuse
06-27-2006, 09:18 PM
i did have a cool gorinchem from amsterdam concurrently
with my first hurlow. it was an awesome road bike and
exteremely rare iirc.

word.

but wouldn't a gorinchem be from gorinchem?

obtuse

Fixed
06-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I feel for you bro that was some bike
cheers

atmo
06-27-2006, 09:26 PM
word.

but wouldn't a gorinchem be from gorinchem?

obtuse

not the town, the family name atmo.

obtuse
06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
not the town, the family name atmo.

oh. meneer gorinchem; crafter of the finest shorelines in the benelux.

obtuse

atmo
06-27-2006, 09:37 PM
oh. meneer gorinchem; crafter of the finest shorelines in the benelux.

obtuse

yeah - it was good, but 70s good if ya' feel me.
my mentor at the time was a heavy dutch race
frame aficianado and he suggested the beverielle
and a claerkin, but they were not being exported.
so - the gorinchem did the trick and was the first
frame i ever raced atmo.

obtuse
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah - it was good, but 70s good if ya' feel me.
my mentor at the time was a heavy dutch race
frame aficianado and he suggested the beverielle
and a claerkin, but they were not being exported.
so - the gorinchem did the trick and was the first
frame i ever raced atmo.

the first frame i ever raced was a diamond. it was bad, '80s bad if ya' feel me.

obtuse

atmo
06-27-2006, 09:43 PM
the first frame i ever raced was a diamond. it was bad, '80s bad if ya' feel me.

obtuse
i forgot -
you started in the 80s.
i guess we can still hang.

dbrk
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
In about 1969/70 I had a beautiful root beer colored Dawes made of 531 that came with a Brooks Pro perched as stock, OEM, and NR bits. This was some top of the line stuff and I was just a kid. I worked all summer sweeping a bike shop for that rig. What a ride. I sold it for the Mondia, which is still with me, and a bike that I have never regretted owning. A coupla' years later a real pos Gitane came my way as a sorta' beater but it was That French Bleu to die for and I know I'm being stupit [sic] sentimental about that one. Fast forward a few decades...Then about ten years back I fell on some hard times and sold my _perfect_ Rene Herse Gentleman. When I think about that bike now and how it was once mine I think...well, I don't think, I just take long, deep breaths. But the guy who has it knows what it is and that's solace. Times are better now, so I may be only a mile outta' hell but I'm certainly half way to heaven.

dbrk

pdxmech13
06-27-2006, 10:16 PM
but I don't regret selling any of my old bikes
my legend is everything and the cda will be
way cool too.

cool bikes I would admit to owning and think about
match built paramount
Q pro with carbon 9 record
custom orbea starship
trek 5500

531Aussie
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I regret this bike cracking under the BB: a 1999 Allez Comp. It was cheap and nasty (frame cost me $70, 2nd hand), but probably the best alu frame I've ever had. By the way, it ain't Columbus alu :)

http://vmartin.bigpondhosting.com/photos/specialized.jpg

DRZRM
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Well I just wanted to share. My Red, Black, and Green fade Wicked Fat Chance is coming home thanks to this old thread. I think (b/c I tend to never throw anything away) I still have the rigid fork that matches this frame's paint job someplace. I picked this frame up myself from the Somerville factory in like 93 and Chris Chance himself turned it over to me and complimented me on the paint job.

My buddy who I sold it to (11 years ago) is getting a new bike and called to see if I really wanted it back still. I'll build it up rigid...maybe single speed. Once I have it back in my sweaty little paws, I'll figure out how to build. It's great how much we gain through the Serotta forums. See you in the WTB Classified.

Thanks, :beer:

Zach

Funny to see this thread back, as just last week I told the guy I sold my 93 Fat Chance Wicked to that if he ever wanted to move on to a new bike, I'd buy it back at any point. I love my Moots YBB, but no bike will ever ride like a Fat Chance steel hard tail. I'd kill a man for a Yo Eddie Ti in my size.

I also loved the Merlin ExtraLight I let get away in 94, but I replaced it with my Legend, and have never really looked back.

saab2000
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't have this bike anymore. It was made by DWF who claims not to lurk here. Rather DWF waits. DWF makes a good bike.

I wish my CIII was as stiff as this bike was. This bike was about 2 cm too tall for me.

mavic1010
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Of all the serotta's bought and sold, only 2 regrets..

Huffy (Legend) Ti
Ben's Ottrott ST (fit me perfectly)

I still regret selling the Huffy Ti, but am over Ben's bike since I have a usps ottrott ST in exactly the same dimensions as Ben's bike. What a find that was! Will never ever sell that bike. Learned my lesson the first time.

ShockTreatment
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Selling my Zieleman, Gillott, and Cinelli Mod B in the seventies.

FATBOY
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
My Davidson Impulse was smooth (flexy?), pretty (lugged!), comfortable (gasp) and cheap($1000 w/veloce 8). In a nutshell it was everything that all of the bikes I have had since were not.

fstrthnu
01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
My Team Saeco Cannondale CAAD 3 CX bikes with full Record 10sp and Coda Magic Cranks, Heliums. Those things were awesome and I practically gave them away iirc. Stupid.

Action Pic here (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2001/nov01/West_Hill_Putneycx/Justin_Spinelli_over_hill.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2001/nov01/West_Hill_Putneycx/spinelli.shtml&h=375&w=500&sz=40&hl=en&start=16&tbnid=1oNRkyjGBjqqzM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djustin%2Bspinelli%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

Justin

R2D2
01-24-2007, 08:54 PM
1973 Legnano Criterium......
What a stupid mistake.
Ahhhhhhhh It was too small anyway.

profkrispy
01-24-2007, 11:34 PM
http://www.foothilltech.org/kspencer/images/paramount.jpg

This 1975 Schwinn Paramount belonged to my father. Sold it a little
over a year ago after having it in the family for over 20 years. I've
ridden faster and lighter bikes but none, so far, have offered as smooth a ride.

http://www.foothilltech.org/kspencer/images/DeRosa.jpg

I made a surfboard for a guy and he gave me this De Rosa.
If it was a 57 or 58, I'd still have it.

I miss the Paramount.

Lets hear your moments of weakness!

-g

bironi
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
The AMF that weighed more than me. I pushed it up big hills, and bombed down em. I can't say I miss this one at all. :beer:

merckx
12-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Just three regrets:

1. 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilie. The first bike I raced on. Not really a racing machine, but it worked. It was partial Reynolds 531 and the balance was gas pipe. Mix of japan and french for components. It began my obsession.

2. 1987 Paramount 50th anniversary track frame. Raced it at T-town. Sold it to buy my first titanium frame. What a waste.

3. Merckx MXL. I'm still weeping.

scrubadub
12-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I had a 1996 Lemond Zurich with silver to blue fade. Since it was my first road bike, I have a lot of good memories about my 'firsts' on that bike. First time up Old La Honda Road and King's Mountain, first time to the coast and back, first time bike racing. Sold it to a friend's boyfriend, I hope it's still being raced out and worked hard.

There's something about your first bike that defines your lifelong expectations of how a bike should feel and ride.

vandeda
12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Hmmm ... I think only two ...

'01(?) Calfee Dragonfly Pro
'05 Vanilla

No regrets selling either one ... now buying them is a different story :(

Everything else I still have ... though I plan on selling a '98 Coppi frame & fork, and giving away an '88 Centurion Le Mans (the bike that got me into road bikes, and which I hope gets someone else into road bikes).

12-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Cinelli Speciale Corse 1972
Pog track 1971
RIH track 1973
Rickert track 1970
Eisentraut 1974
Colnago Super 1973
Cinelli track 1969
Melton track 1981
Melton road 1980
Confente track
Confente road
Confente track (unfinished; he was working on it when he died)
Masi Gran Criterium (Faliero built)
Masi Gran Criterium (Mario built)
Frejus track 1967
Strawberry road
Eisentraut road 1979
Richard Sachs road (ca. 1978)
Richard Sachs road (ca. 1981)
Grandis road 1978
Serotta Legend
Serotta Legend S&S coupled
IF Planet Cross Ti
Nagasawa track red
Nagasawa track cream
Kalavinka track wine/white
Kalavinka track red
Nagasawa track silver
Spectrum road (steel)
Spectrum track (steel)
Look KG496 track carbon
Serotta C3 track

There were some others but they don't come to mind immediately. There were a bunch of team bikes that just came and went, and more recently a number of carbon and aluminum track frames provided in Europe. I'm down to six frames right now but they all get used regularly -- 2 track frames, 2 fixies, 2 road frames.

kerrycycle
12-19-2007, 11:45 PM
My 2005 Dobbiaco Falzarego (Columbus Starship tubing). I rode it to the point of failure this past May. I loved that bike...of course my Serotta is a pretty worthy replacement.

Jack Brunk
12-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Cinelli Speciale Corse 1972
Pog track 1971
RIH track 1973
Rickert track 1970
Eisentraut 1974
Colnago Super 1973
Cinelli track 1969
Melton track 1981
Melton road 1980
Confente track
Confente road
Confente track (unfinished; he was working on it when he died)
Masi Gran Criterium (Faliero built)
Masi Gran Criterium (Mario built)
Frejus track 1967
Strawberry road
Eisentraut road 1979
Richard Sachs road (ca. 1978)
Richard Sachs road (ca. 1981)
Grandis road 1978
Serotta Legend
Serotta Legend S&S coupled
IF Planet Cross Ti
Nagasawa track red
Nagasawa track cream
Kalavinka track wine/white
Kalavinka track red
Nagasawa track silver
Spectrum road (steel)
Spectrum track (steel)
Look KG496 track carbon
Serotta C3 track

There were some others but they don't come to mind immediately. There were a bunch of team bikes that just came and went, and more recently a number of carbon and aluminum track frames provided in Europe. I'm down to six frames right now but they all get used regularly -- 2 track frames, 2 fixies, 2 road frames.
That my friends may be a list that can never be topped.

Incredible.

jeffg
12-20-2007, 12:53 AM

Incredible.

angesichts dieser Liste kann ich nur anerkennend schweigen

Mit anderen Worten: +1

d_douglas
12-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Of all the stupid sales, it had to be the Bonty cross bike that I bought practically mint froma friend for about $1000. I sold it for teh same a couple years later in an effort to drum up cash for grad school.

Now, paying back a massive loan, I think to myself that I should've just kept it and borrowed another $1000 from the canadian government. I mean, isn't that what student loans are for?

I know the owner and I know he never uses it - it is sitting in a farmhouse (likely rusting away). For the right price, I know he would sell it back to me, but my Ritchey Swisscross has taken its place for a classic steel cross bike.

I just gotta walk away.

d_douglas
12-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Of all the stupid sales, it had to be the Bonty cross bike that I bought practically mint froma friend for about $1000. I sold it for teh same a couple years later in an effort to drum up cash for grad school.

Now, paying back a massive loan, I think to myself that I should've just kept it and borrowed another $1000 from the canadian government. I mean, isn't that what student loans are for?

I know the owner and I know he never uses it - it is sitting in a farmhouse (likely rusting away). For the right price, I know he would sell it back to me, but my Ritchey Swisscross has taken its place for a classic steel cross bike.

I just gotta walk away.

d_douglas
12-20-2007, 03:16 AM

I just gotta walk away.

Fixed
12-20-2007, 08:01 AM
11.4 you better change your mqne to 1000 and 1 imho cheers
you own a bike shop or something . bro you know a kid named nate from tampa that i think lives in texas now ? used to be on e.d.s.
cheers

MilanoTom
12-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Incredible.

If 11.4's list was even a third as long, it could still never be topped (at least not by anybody I'll ever know).

Tom

jchasse
12-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm a packrat, and i tend to keep bikes for a while, so only 2 to speak of:

First was a Trek (730?) Mtn bike. A guy that worked in a resaurant with my girlfriend at the time was recently immigrated, had very little money. He was amazed when he saw my Marin - I don't think he'd ever really handled a modern bike. So i gave him the Trek. It was only a few years old and in great shape. I don't think i've ever given a gift that made anyone that happy.

Second was the aforementioned Marin (Pine Mountain). Great bike. Complete with loads of purple ano bits (realy, it was hip at the time). It's not really gone, just in a buddy's basement, scavenged of all its parts.

MilanoTom
12-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I don't think I've ever sold a bicycle or frameset (although that may change soon), but have given two away, both to female friends:

Late model Torpado, with 8-speed Ergo, sent to a friend in Idaho to help cure her of a mountain biking habit.
Awful looking baby blue Crescent, with Nuovo Record and Mafac brakes, sent to a friend in Tampa.

The Torpado was my first decent bike, so it would be sort of nice if I still had it, but it got more use where it ended up.

Regards,
Tom

Grant McLean
12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
not too sexy or "classic." but it was cool. bright blue with gold panels, black letters, full dura ace group. circa '81. with concor saddle, benotto tape, gp4s (the original arayas were crap), and barum sew-ups.

one of my favorites!!

Still looking for one....

-g

WadePatton
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
There's only one bike I really regret losing - My Raleigh Chopper.

OH man, I had one of those. No idea where it went. Would be cool to still have that and my first bike--with the orange tires, vintage 1972.

Of adult bikes, I wish I hadn't sold the Litespeed HT, but I ditched it to get a boing boing Turner and love it too, but I'm through boinging and will sell it when I find an interested party. Have some new love coming along you know.

NOW if I could only get my '82 Les Paul back! One of my dumbest moments in college.

WadePatton
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
whoops double.