PDA

View Full Version : Spin Bikes with Freewheel?

Jimbo
11-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Here is a question for all you spin bike experts: Do any nicely made spin bikes come with freewheels rather than fixed gears? We have a lab application where we need to build several special ergometers and I want to start with a nicely made spin bike. In our application it MUST have a freewheel. The more massive the flywheel the better too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

johnmdesigner
11-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm no expert but I have been shopping in the past few weeks for a spin bike and haven't discovered anything other than fixed gear. Sounds like you might have to design and build something for your specific application.
The only thing that resembles a freewheel spin down would be the Proforma Tour de France but my test spin on one didn't resemble the same effect as a freewheel bike. Sorry not much help.

christian
11-21-2014, 07:49 PM
No. You'd have to build one, either based on a spin bike or Monark erg. Easiest thing to do would be to build one with those wacky Schwinn freewheeling cranks from the 1980s adapted to a spin bike. You won't find a commercial hub that takes a ratcheting free hub body and can support a 40-50 lb flywheel. Building such a hub would be a difficult undertaking for anyone posting here for advice...

christian
11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_freewheel

christian
11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Some trials bikes (current) also have front freewheel cranks. Bet you could adapt that to a spin bike.

christian
11-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Onza Orbita crank will allow you to thread on any Shimano freewheel... So now you have a 20xSomething spin bike.... Going to have to crank up the resistance!