PDA

View Full Version : Which FS MTB should I keep?

texbike
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Ok, here's one for our forumites that know a bit about full suspension mountain bikes.

I need to make a choice between two FS mountain bikes that I now have taking up space in the house. They are:

Option 1: Moots Ti Smoothie from around 2002/2003. The bike is currently unbuilt and has a 5th Element rear shock. It also has a front fork, but that's a bit irrelevant at the moment. The frameset is in really nice shape with only a few marks on it and the typical cracked Moots decals. The frame can only accommodate V-brakes.

Option 2: Trek Project One/Top Fuel 110 (full carbon) from 2005/2006. The bike is complete, has low miles, and is rumored to have belonged to a famous yet somewhat disgraced bike shop owner from Austin. The bike is in great shape and well maintained with only a few marks on it. It has a Rock Shox rear shock. Again, the front fork is irrelevant as they can be easily moved around. Also, it has a very cool orange and black flame paint job. :cool:

Both bikes are set up for V-brakes and old-timey 26" wheels. They both fit.

If I sell the Trek, I'll move most of the parts (XTR) over to the Moots. So, essentially I need to sell one of the framesets, but which one? Is the suspension design of the Top Fuel 110 advanced enough to give it a clear win over the Moots? OR does the Moots coolness factor and Ti construction make it a clear choice?

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Texbike

vqdriver
11-21-2014, 12:26 PM
of the two i'd keep the moots. but it really depends on how much you ride it.
if it were me, i'd probably sell both and put the money towards something more up to date. suspension design continues to improve and classic mtb doesn't hold up the way classic road does. but if you only hit the trails occasionally, keep the moots.

malcolm
11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't know that much about either, but '26ers are going to be obsolete no matter the manufacturer. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ride them and have fun on them, just for me I wouldn't invest a lot in one. I've got a well built up 26 turner that I'll probably keep forever because it's a great bike and fun to ride and of very little value to sell.

All that said I would think that even as much as I like moots I would keep the trek as it's newer and most likely has a more functional suspension, the moots being moots will also probably fetch more at sale, but who knows. Interested to see the replies.

tylerbick
11-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Sell that Trek before it's not worth anything. Like so many other MTBs of yore. But, Vqdrivers point about loosing both to fund something more modern really resonates.

Kirk Pacenti
11-21-2014, 12:48 PM
As others have said, sell both and get something contemporary.

Cheers,
KP

gdw
11-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Sell your Moots to a collector or roadie, they tended to crack when actually ridden off road.:banana:

p nut
11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Of the two, I like the Trek, despite the odd number of balls that have straddled it.

But FS tech has come a looooong way. Go for a demo ride on one of the new FS bikes from about any manuf. You will probably end up selling both.

Third option is go completely backwards like me and sell off all mountain bikes with suspension (front or rear) and build a light, rigid 29er.

45K10
11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
another vote for sell both and get something built in the last couple years.

It's a night/day difference between a current FS and one from 10 years ago.

alessandro
11-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Yep. Like college football, I'm jumping on the pile: Sell 'em both and get something with disc brakes.

p nut
11-21-2014, 02:15 PM
...get something with disc brakes.

My M785 brakes changed mountain biking for me. Fantasic brakes.

JAGI410
11-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Sell both and get something 650B.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-21-2014, 02:34 PM
My M785 brakes changed mountain biking for me. Fantasic brakes.

Plus 1. XT brakes are the best brakes ever, imo.

buck-50
11-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Sell both. Get a fatbike. Laugh your ass off.

texbike
11-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm starting to detect a recurring theme here.... :rolleyes:

This is kinda the issue that I have with full suspension bikes - the technology becomes obsolete so quickly. Two years ago I sold my XC FS bike and decided to take a step back to a Ti 26" hardtail for simplification. I still have it. Then of course the Moots comes along and who doesn't like a Moots, right? I bought it and it has sat in a box for the past year. Then the uno-baller Trek comes along and hey, who can pass up a good deal on a low-mileage, top of the line (albeit almost 10 years old) XTR-equipped FS in great shape?

I'm just thinking I should go back to the original mission from 2 years ago, keep the Ti hardtail and sell the other two. For the amount of riding that I do, it would be fine. Plus I have a MonoCog 29r that could easily have discs added for those suggesting 29rs and disc brakes. ;)

Texbike

josephr
11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm starting to detect a recurring theme here.... :rolleyes:

This is kinda the issue that I have with full suspension bikes - the technology becomes obsolete so quickly. Two years ago I sold my XC FS bike and decided to take a step back to a Ti 26" hardtail for simplification. I still have it. Then of course the Moots comes along and who doesn't like a Moots, right? I bought it and it has sat in a box for the past year. Then the uno-baller Trek comes along and hey, who can pass up a good deal on a low-mileage, top of the line (albeit almost 10 years old) XTR-equipped FS in great shape?

I'm just thinking I should go back to the original mission from 2 years ago, keep the Ti hardtail and sell the other two. For the amount of riding that I do, it would be fine. Plus I have a MonoCog 29r that could easily have discs added for those suggesting 29rs and disc brakes. ;)

Texbike

been following this thread simply b/c I have a 26" FS bike that I've had 4 years and its a great bike, however, I'd like to try to 29er hardtail...but, I too struggle with the reality that I'd be lucky to get 1/5th of what I paid for it. But, since I mostly ride 90% on the road, I can't fathom spending $ on a bike that only gets ridden a few times a year.

Your contemplation helped me to decide to love the one I got....

Kirk007
11-21-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm thinking 26 FS are losing value everyday and these are pretty old already. I'd advertise the uniqueness of each - Moots and the uniballer and move them on.

gdw
11-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Ti Smoothies are nice frames but some were prone to cracking and it costs over $400 to have one reinforced or repaired. You can call Moots and see what they recommend before making a decision.

vqdriver
11-21-2014, 05:46 PM
yeah, but used 26 fs bikes are crazy cheap to buy as well. really nice ones at that.

avalonracing
11-21-2014, 05:46 PM
I love that how 26" MTBs that have been fine to ride on for decades are suddenly considered by all to be obsolete.

I have both 29" and 26" hardtail MTBs and I actually find the 26" to be a bit more fun. If a bike is a blast to ride and you can continue to get parts how in the hell is it obsolete?

I guess a 1974 Porsche 911 is obsolete and no fun to drive because it doesn't have ABS brakes and 40-series tires like a new one.

JAGI410
11-21-2014, 06:47 PM
What's funny is that a 29er rigid singlespeed with v brakes is still totally acceptable and fun. But yet a geared 26er of any configuration is obsolete and should be sold quickly to avoid further depriciation.

I alternate between 26' and 650B on the same bike, and while the difference is noticable, 26" isnt dead to me. If I were in the market for something new, which I am, I'd choose a 650B. Budget decides hardtail or FS.

John H.
11-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Sell everything- unless you want to keep a bike for non-riding friends, visitors, etc.
Replace with a full sus in 650b or 29'er made in the last year.
So much has changed.
With full sus you need to turn them over every year or 2- if you don't you can easily be the guy who has no chair when the music stops.
You might already be that guy on the 26" bikes.
Same for components- you want to go 1x11- it works so well you will never want an mtb with a front derailleur.

RFC
11-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Sell the Trek and turn the Moots into a drop bar gravel grinder / allarounder. You'll love it.

charliedid
11-21-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd sell em and get what this guy is riding. :)

http://extreme.com/insane/1039636/andreu-lacondeguys-2014-season-highlights

texbike
11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd sell em and get what this guy is riding. :)

http://extreme.com/insane/1039636/andreu-lacondeguys-2014-season-highlights

The title of the video states it all - INSANE! It may just be my middle-aged eyes, but if I squint hard enough it appears that there are a number of 26" hardtails in that video. As the kids like to say these days, "whaaaaaaaatttttt"?

Texbike

weisan
11-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Sell the Trek and turn the Moots into a drop bar gravel grinder / allarounder. You'll love it.

RFC-pal, can you elaborate on that, please?:rolleyes::p
Any pics?

choke
11-22-2014, 01:31 PM
If I were in your shoes I'd keep the Moots and send the Trek down the road. But then I'm not up on those things, the only MTB I own has a Euclid group on it. I love that how 26" MTBs that have been fine to ride on for decades is suddenly considered by all to be obsolete.No kidding....the power of marketing. I just laugh every time I read something like that...

Corso
11-22-2014, 08:43 PM
i vote Moots.

And I also vote 26” isn’t dead.

pdmtong
11-23-2014, 02:46 AM
while 26" is declining that's not the core issue.

what you have is generations behind in suspension design AND components. IF you plan to do any real riding, stop hoarding old tech sell both and get current. in the mtb world, there is a difference. in the road world, less so.

if that moots came my way I'd turn it into a commuter. it would never see dirt again...despite my love for the alligator

likebikes
11-23-2014, 03:52 AM
to be honest, neither.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Ok, here's one for our forumites that know a bit about full suspension mountain bikes.

I need to make a choice between two FS mountain bikes that I now have taking up space in the house. They are:

Option 1: Moots Ti Smoothie from around 2002/2003. The bike is currently unbuilt and has a 5th Element rear shock. It also has a front fork, but that's a bit irrelevant at the moment. The frameset is in really nice shape with only a few marks on it and the typical cracked Moots decals. The frame can only accommodate V-brakes.

Option 2: Trek Project One/Top Fuel 110 (full carbon) from 2005/2006. The bike is complete, has low miles, and is rumored to have belonged to a famous yet somewhat disgraced bike shop owner from Austin. The bike is in great shape and well maintained with only a few marks on it. It has a Rock Shox rear shock. Again, the front fork is irrelevant as they can be easily moved around. Also, it has a very cool orange and black flame paint job. :cool:

Both bikes are set up for V-brakes and old-timey 26" wheels. They both fit.

If I sell the Trek, I'll move most of the parts (XTR) over to the Moots. So, essentially I need to sell one of the framesets, but which one? Is the suspension design of the Top Fuel 110 advanced enough to give it a clear win over the Moots? OR does the Moots coolness factor and Ti construction make it a clear choice?

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Texbike

Sell both and get this in 650b.

http://moots.com/our-bike/mtb-26/divide/overview

texbike
11-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Sell both and get this in 650b.

http://moots.com/our-bike/mtb-26/divide/overview

Nice bike! I would be more inclined at this point to purchase a modern hardtail than FS since the latest FS tech would be obsolete in 37 days from its release date. :rolleyes:

while 26" is declining that's not the core issue.

what you have is generations behind in suspension design AND components. IF you plan to do any real riding, stop hoarding old tech sell both and get current. in the mtb world, there is a difference. in the road world, less so.

Fantastic summation! Thanks for the input everyone.

Texbike