PDA

View Full Version : Grease recommendations?

jwb96
03-23-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm just about out of grease and it's time for some spring overhauls. Is there anything out there I should consider rather than the Pedro's Syn Grease or Park PolyLube I've been using? And does temperature matter to grease? Year round, I'll go from the single-digits to low-90's so I wasn't sure if most bicycle greases are designed for this, although I haven't noticed any issues with what I've been using.

Anyway, always looking for something better . . .

Thanks,
Jim

ergott
03-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I've always prefered anti-seaze compound. Other industries use this with fasteners (nuts and bolts) with great success.

For actual lubrication, I bought a tub of white lithium grease a few years ago and I'm not running out anytime soon. Cheap, too.

Too Tall
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
For bearings Phil Wood green grease has never let me down. If you want some really fancy schmancy "assembly" grease for things like pressed cups and stuff you are not likely to see for a while Rock n' Roll has some beautifully crafted gewww. R'nR' also has this neat silicone based cable lube that's outta sight. My never ending pot-o-white lithium from Trak Auto with the hole in the middle and a small paint brush stuck thru is is more like installation art. It is always there, I use it and it never runs out...why?

sspielman
03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
I really like the Finish Line Teflon Synthetic grease. It is very waterproof and works well over the cycling temperature range. In general, the synthetic greases like this are much more waterproof than the old types. I have nothing against the white lithium greases, but they are soap based and tend to seperate over time. I still have an almost unused tub of Campagnolo white grease...I agree with the other posts that no matter how much I use, there still seems to be the same amount in the container

david
03-23-2006, 12:47 PM
:beer:

bobscott
03-23-2006, 01:00 PM
After trying and really liking ATB chain lube, I bought some of the grease. Seems like nice stuff. Both of these products are formulated by a retired GM lubrication engineer, Keith Lewis [klewisinc@msn.com]. He is a very knowledgable, as well as, quite a nice fellow.
A forum search will give you a couple of his responses to questions about chain lubes. He does have a dealer network but if there is not one near by, he will sell them directly. Anyone else tried this stuff?

03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Worth noting, old-style petroleum greases (white lithium, the black stuff, etc.) are saponified to make everything mix and work properly. This is done by adding a soap or similar compound to the formulation. These compounds don't particularly like to be mixed together -- put grease of one brand into a hub that already has some of another brand remaining, and they can both separate and turn into a gummy mess that is hard to clean and doesn't protect anything. Not a problem with the basic synthetics.

tbushnel
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Worth noting, old-style petroleum greases (white lithium, the black stuff, etc.) are saponified to make everything mix and work properly. This is done by adding a soap or similar compound to the formulation. These compounds don't particularly like to be mixed together -- put grease of one brand into a hub that already has some of another brand remaining, and they can both separate and turn into a gummy mess that is hard to clean and doesn't protect anything. Not a problem with the basic synthetics.

I learn something new everyday on this forum.
Thanks Lane.
TEd.

ergott
03-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Ray
03-23-2006, 04:46 PM
I just stick to Phil's for everything. Have a big old squirt gun full of the stuff. If it's not better than everything else, it's waaay good and sticking to it keeps me from having another thing to think about.

-Ray

Peter P.
03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I had a 1lb. tub of Pennzoil 705 grease I bought from Loose Screws/The Third Hand. It lasted at least 15 years. I think they charged $3-5 for it. It was a general purpose cream colored grease and hey; if they sold it for bicycle use it must've been okay. You don't need to pay a lot for good grease.

I replaced the empty Pennzoil tub with a $3 tub of Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease. It's an NLGI #2 rated grease, which is about as thick as you want to go (the higher the NLGI number, the thicker the grease). The Pennzoil is #2 as well. The Lubrimatic is "recommended for corrosive marine environments", so I figured it would protect well on salted winter roadmelt as well as just plain rain. I bought the Lubrimatic grease at Home Depot.

pdxmech13
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
maple syrup :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: