PDA

View Full Version : Squid Bikes Cyclocross

AndreasM
11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Forum -

Anyone own, or have more info on Squid Bikes? Ventana MTB builders applying skills to some CX frames. Some rad Ahearn-like yokes for chain-stays. That kind of thing.

Would be curious on any insight

http://www.squidbikes.com/

eBAUMANN
11-21-2014, 11:45 AM
anthony clark is the poster boy (in this neck of the woods at least) and he seems pretty pumped on em...but then again he is pretty pumped about everything ;)

just looking at the welds and frame design, they definitely know what they are doing and their experience in the industry shows (from a design standpoint) - diggin the graphics and some of those "rattle can" custom paint jobs are wild!

the one quibble i would personally have is with their "small bike geometry" (lax HTA + steep STA on small sizes) - which tends to produce a very slow handling bike...which some people with MTB backgrounds woulnt mind...but if you are coming from the road, it will feel a little truck-like in the steering dept. the only way to really combat this is to sacrifice toe overlap...a trade off that is worth it for some, but not for others, which is why most companies use geometry like this.

Likes2ridefar
11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
anthony clark is the poster boy (in this neck of the woods at least) and he seems pretty pumped on em...but then again he is pretty pumped about everything ;)

look like good frames to me, diggin the graphics, some of those "rattle can" custom paint jobs are wild!

i've never met anyone more pumped. SICK WHAT!

AndreasM
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
That's great intel on the angles. They look like a ton of fun, but I'll have to see how my numbers match up, I guess.

Coming from road as you mentioned and "truck" is not an encouraging descriptor...

Might have to stick to the Supertouch search

josephr
11-21-2014, 07:26 PM
price shock here....$1650 for an aluminum frameset I have to paint myself? Lot of nice complete aluminum CX frames for less....

eBAUMANN
11-21-2014, 09:34 PM
price shock here....$1650 for an aluminum frameset I have to paint myself? Lot of nice complete aluminum CX frames for less....

that cost includes a king headset and enve fork...i believe.

personally, i kinda wish more companies would offer alloy frames bare, as most paint these days is pretty fugly.

eBAUMANN
11-21-2014, 09:35 PM
That's great intel on the angles. They look like a ton of fun, but I'll have to see how my numbers match up, I guess.

Coming from road as you mentioned and "truck" is not an encouraging descriptor...

Might have to stick to the Supertouch search

depends with size frame you are lookin at...for me it would be fine as I would be getting the largest size which has 72/73 angles, which i prefer.

AndreasM
12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
depends with size frame you are lookin at...for me it would be fine as I would be getting the largest size which has 72/73 angles, which i prefer.

I'd be looking at the XL with a 71.5 HTA. How much of a performance difference are we looking at between a 72.5 and a 71.5?

STA of 73 is consistent between both.

zennmotion
12-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I'd be looking at the XL with a 71.5 HTA. How much of a performance difference are we looking at between a 72.5 and a 71.5?

STA of 73 is consistent between both.

A hairpin, offcamber turn while trying to pass on the uphill side at speed in a cross race would provide a clear indication. Otherwise, whatever.