PDA

View Full Version : Mondonico Diamond build coming along

jmoore
11-21-2014, 10:38 AM
I got most of the parts on last night. Cables, chain and skewers will go on tonight, everything get adjusted and in it's proper position and should be ready for the shakedown ride this weekend. Thanks to Paceline member donevwil for the slamming deal on the frameset.

And before you start, yes I know it's Shimano on an Italian frame. The group and wheels were from my parts bin, so they were free.

Jeff N.
11-21-2014, 10:49 AM
130mm rear end?

jmoore
11-21-2014, 10:58 AM
130mm rear end?

yessir.

donevwil had it respaced before he sent it. :hello:

texbike
11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I got most of the parts on last night. Cables, chain and skewers will go on tonight, everything get adjusted and in it's proper position and should be ready for the shakedown ride this weekend. Thanks to Paceline member donevwil for the slamming deal on the frameset.

And before you start, yes I know it's Shimano on an Italian frame. The group and wheels were from my parts bin, so they were free.

That's awesome! I have its much smaller twin. Same color combo and everything!

I'm planning the same kind of build - random spares (Shimano) from the parts bin. It'll be an "at the in-laws" bike.

Yours looks great!

Texbike

Dr Luxurious
11-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Sweet, I like white steel & chrome.

fuzzalow
11-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Nuthin' like the sweet tuning fork feel of riding a good steel frame. My goodness me some of you guys are tall!

bobswire
11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Sweet frames from one of the best old world builders. I kick myself for not taking advantage of getting fitted for a frame from Antonio Mondonico on his fitting last fitting tour in the 2005/6. At the time I had just purchased a Della Santa frame when I heard Mondonico was coming to the Bike Nook in San Francisco for fitting custom frame ($1495) and I passed on it.

donevwil
11-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Awesome Jason, I look forward to more build pics followed by ride pics. I hope you ride the heck out of it. The frameset has now entered it's third stage of life

Some history:
Frameset was originally sold by unknown-to-me bike shop in Santa Rosa, CA in the late '80s. It was ridden for a few weeks by the original owner who stopped at Cycle Dynamics (also Santa Rosa) to address some fit issues. Owner and local cycling guru Paul Brown immediately noted that the frame was too small. He took the Mondonico in as a trade on a better fitting frame. Fast forward 7-8 years, Cycle Dynamics has closed shop and unsold inventory is now in Paul Brown's garage. I stop by in ~'96 to rummage through his stuff and see this frameset in "as new" condition. Purchase it and an NOS Brooks Ti Swift for an absurdly low sum. Loved the frame and rode the heck out of it. Hated the Swift.

yessir.

donevwil had it respaced before he sent it. :hello:

Anyone here ever opened an all Columbus SPX frame from 126mm to 130 ? Man was it a chore, the framebuilder who did the worked called me over to assist. This is one of the stiffest frames he'd ever worked on. It was a four beer recovery for each of us.

jmoore
11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Awesome Jason, I look forward to more build pics followed by ride pics. I hope you ride the heck out of it. The frameset has now entered it's third stage of life

Some history:
Frameset was originally sold by unknown-to-me bike shop in Santa Rosa, CA in the late '80s. It was ridden for a few weeks by the original owner who stopped at Cycle Dynamics (also Santa Rosa) to address some fit issues. Owner and local cycling guru Paul Brown immediately noted that the frame was too small. He took the Mondonico in as a trade on a better fitting frame. Fast forward 7-8 years, Cycle Dynamics has closed shop and unsold inventory is now in Paul Brown's garage. I stop by in ~'96 to rummage through his stuff and see this frameset in "as new" condition. Purchase it and an NOS Brooks Ti Swift for an absurdly low sum. Loved the frame and rode the heck out of it. Hated the Swift.

Anyone here ever opened an all Columbus SPX frame from 126mm to 130 ? Man was it a chore, the framebuilder who did the worked called me over to assist. This is one of the stiffest frames he'd ever worked on. It was a four beer recovery for each of us.

This is great info!

This bike is going to live in PHX once it's dialed in. I got out every spring for a little BBQ & sufferfest and it will save me from having to ship back and forth. With the bike being there, I can see myself going out more. donevwil sold me this frame for barely more than one round trip shipping to PHX, also an absurdly low sum. So 100% win all the way around on this deal.

PS - It's a 63 x 61.5

zmudshark
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I am going to have to raise the ceiling in my garage to fit it in ;)

mhespenheide
11-21-2014, 12:59 PM
It's a 63x61.5 and it was immediately noticeable that is was too small for the original owner?

Wow. 6'6"+?

At any rate, a beautiful bike/frame.

TMB
11-21-2014, 01:07 PM
This is great info!

This bike is going to live in PHX once it's dialed in. I got out every spring for a little BBQ & sufferfest and it will save me from having to ship back and forth. With the bike being there, I can see myself going out more. donevwil sold me this frame for barely more than one round trip shipping to PHX, also an absurdly low sum. So 100% win all the way around on this deal.

PS - It's a 63 x 61.5

Big Man, It was recently pointed out to me, by one of our cranky mutual friends, that I need to get busy and send out some emails. I will not admit it publicly but might, possibly, be right.

Can you re-send me the email with your suggested dates (March?) and I will get busy.

Very nice BTW.

It's a 63x61.5 and it was immediately noticeable that is was too small for the original owner?

Wow. 6'6"+?

One of the group that gets together in PHX just took delivery of his own new bike, which makes this one look smallish. The proud new owner is 6'9".

donevwil
11-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Wow. 6'6"+?

He was something like 6' 10" and ran a 150 stem if I remember the story correctly. Nothing like a looong stem and 76° headtube angle to make a bike handle funkily (tiller effect).

jmoore
11-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Big Man, It was recently pointed out to me, by one of our cranky mutual friends, that I need to get busy and send out some emails. I will not admit it publicly but might, possibly, be right.

Can you re-send me the email with your suggested dates (March?) and I will get busy.

Very nice BTW.

One of the group that gets together in PHX just took delivery of his own new bike, which makes this one look smallish. The proud new owner is 6'9".

email on the way.

The dates were the weekend of Mar 14 if that helps. FWIW, that date may not be as required as I initially thought, so I am flexible-ish.

zmudshark
11-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Very nice BTW.

One of the group that gets together in PHX just took delivery of his own new bike, which makes this one look smallish. The proud new owner is 6'9".Cranky? :fight:

TMB
11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Cranky? :fight:

Perhaps my perception was influenced by hunger pangs.........

jmoore
11-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Perhaps my perception was influenced by hunger pangs.........

or memories of his suggestions to ride Father Kino again

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Jason, you are gonna love the ride of that Mondonico. Love mine, one of my favorite bikes ever, and I've ridden a few.

Fivethumbs
11-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I re-spaced by Bottecchia SPX frame to 130mm. I used the Sheldon Brown 2X4 method. No sweat.

axel23
11-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Don't worry at all about the Dura-ace. That's the way I run both a Colnago and a Tommasini. And, you know, neither frame had a single bad word to say about the Shimano. All I can hear is a happy hum.