PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt Magazine

Serotta PETE
03-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Just got a copy of the above magazine. It is not inexpensive, but is very nicely laid out. There were articles on Serotta, Giant, Ritchey bikes (As well as Vintage Rendevouz 111).

Also a nice article on Dave Kirk.

PETE

Climb01742
03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
e-richie said he ran an ad in the new issue. no one around me carries it. another cycling mag would be nice.

jpw
03-18-2004, 02:23 PM
What did the Serotta article have to say?

Kevin
03-18-2004, 05:44 PM
I have subscribed to the magazine but have not yet received an issue. It is supposed to be one of the better bike magazines.

Kevin

Serotta PETE
03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
The article was very complimentary of the ST. It gave outstanding feel, ride, handling, etc, Weight was the only gripe that they had. (They thought it should go on a diet).

We have become so focused on weight of frame that we miss the main reason for getting a frame. (fit, handling, reponse, etc). Weight is important but it is only one of the ingredients.

Overall, I though it was a well written article. Ben stated in article that many items were higher on his design list, than being the lightest.

Lightness is not all it is cracked up to be - unless it is me shedding pounds off my body (frame)

pete

Climb01742
03-19-2004, 08:28 AM
but pete, lightness isn't mutually exclusive with those other things, yes? i agree other things are more important, but all things being equal, a light bike that fits would for me, anyway, be more desireable than a heavy bike that fits. i may be more keen on lightness, given my fondness for climbing. but the fact that the newer ottrott's are lighter than last year's models does admit, quietly, that weight does matter. i would never put lightness as my first priority, but it is in the top 3 or 4.:p

Serotta PETE
03-19-2004, 11:13 AM
I fully agree with you, that they are not mutually exclusive. Lightness does count and it is among my top 3 priorities.

Unfortunately, in the past, I have seen some folks focused on nothing but lightness. There are benefits, but there are also some tradeoff. Examples are how long seat post, seat rails, bars/stem, rims, etc can last - when upmost prioirty is lightness.

For racers and "special" events, lightness is more important than how many seasons/miles that components will last. After thousands of miles/multiple season "unwanted" happenings can start to occur with very light equipment.

This year's Ottrott is lighter than last year and gave up nothing in the process. "Spokes" has one with the new tubing and it is outstanding.

Have a good weekend....It is suppose to be 60s here in Raleigh.

Spokes and I are going out and I already have the bungee cord that hooks to his seat. (His training ride is to pull me around as ballast.

PETE

Climb01742
03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
pete,
we violently agree.
i have a ghisallo that was built with lightness as its #1 priority. which makes it great at one thing -- climbing -- and not very good at anything else.
i will never buy a frame again that is only light.
its supoosed to be 40 here this weekend. which means you'll have to ride 20 degrees faster. enjoy. :D