PDA

View Full Version : Are Mavic 550 wheels highly sought after?

Veloo
11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I gave my 1988 steel road bike with 6 speed 105 away to a friend and the bike has been passed around a circle of friends. I like the fact that it has opened a bunch of the guys up to the sport.

The bike has wheels built up with 28 hole Mavic 550 hubs, 3 cross DT spokes and Mavic Open 4CD rims. They are still true.

Is there much demand for wheels like these? I got them during the Nashbar clearance in the early 90's.

I'm not concerned about making high dollar on the wheels. More about getting them in the hands of someone who would appreciate them cuz the guys riding my old bike don't know anything about the earlier equipment. I'd put a lower level set of wheels back onto the bike if I did swap them out.

oldguy00
11-19-2014, 08:25 PM
No.
They were (are) great quality hubs IMHO. I had a set laced to Mavic Mach2 tubular rims in the early 90's. They never stopped running smooth.
But there is no demand for freewheel hubs. Not even as a collector/rare item as they really not hard to find on ebay, etc.

mktng
11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
They would be great to convert an older roadie to a dedicated single speed around town bike. Phil wood quality for 1/4 the price imo

Mister Donut
11-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Those really are great hubs for the day, the rims were just okay. I only see cyclists who are into restorations seeking them. The new tech is far ahead of any of that old school kit.

Try the more vintage specific forums.

Wakatel_Luum
11-19-2014, 10:46 PM
I have a set of Mach 2 CD 2 rims built up on DT 240's...bomb proof race wheels...new tech isn't that far ahead...

oldpotatoe
11-20-2014, 06:12 AM
I gave my 1988 steel road bike with 6 speed 105 away to a friend and the bike has been passed around a circle of friends. I like the fact that it has opened a bunch of the guys up to the sport.

The bike has wheels built up with 28 hole Mavic 550 hubs, 3 cross DT spokes and Mavic Open 4CD rims. They are still true.

Is there much demand for wheels like these? I got them during the Nashbar clearance in the early 90's.

I'm not concerned about making high dollar on the wheels. More about getting them in the hands of someone who would appreciate them cuz the guys riding my old bike don't know anything about the earlier equipment. I'd put a lower level set of wheels back onto the bike if I did swap them out.

Not much for freewheel rear wheels..maybe the front as a 28h. And has been mentioned, maybe as a single speed/fixie rear wheel.

Gummee
11-20-2014, 07:16 AM
I have a set of Mach 2 CD 2 rims built up on DT 240's...bomb proof race wheels...new tech isn't that far ahead...

My Mach2 Ceramics were built into M900 hubs. Now they're laced into 6800 hubs and will get some 'gravel road friendly' tires glued back on this PM.

Still riding Open SUP CD Ceramics (but the ceramic part is almost gone) on my training wheels.

...and like the OP, have a 500 wheel. Mine's laced into a MA40 (36h) hanging in the garage waiting for that perfect someone that really needs it.

M

evo111@comcast.net
11-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Depending on condition I would be interested in the wheels - send me a few pics of the hubs and rims. Thanks