PDA

View Full Version : $1300 for components and wheels

scottcw2
03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Rather than ship my bike from NYC, I have sold some guitar gear to fund a new (to me) frame/fork, components and wheels. I have the frame/fork, now I have $1300 to spend on components and wheels. Looking for suggestions on how to make it in budget.

Campy group, 172.5 cranks, 50/36 compact, 12-25 cassette. I do not need a seatpost, stem or headset.

Wheels - I have been riding Bontrager Race X Lite 20/24 spoke wheels. I am looking for something similar (ie, build quality and asymmetrical rear rim), but with either 24/28 or 28/32 spoke.

Suggestions appreciated.

jerk
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
buy an ada front wheel and keep saving.

jerk

ergott
03-22-2006, 06:07 PM
buy an ada front wheel and keep saving.

jerk

wouldn't you get the rear wheel first?

jerk
03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
wouldn't you get the rear wheel first?

can't get the rear for $1300; the jerk is trying to stay within the gentleman's budget here.

jerk

Hysbrian
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
He needs a tire though, but I think we are on the right track.

ergott
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
can't get the rear for $1300; the jerk is trying to stay within the gentleman's budget here.

jerk

Oh, well. Keep that piggy-bank going...

Serotta PETE
03-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Let me suggest ULTEGRA for the cost benefit over CAMPY. (yeah I likie CAMPY alot also but for a budget the ULTEGRA does the same thing for less $$s)> Just get some OPEN PRO wheels and you are set to go. Nothing high tech and nothing that will keep you from losing out of the SPRINT>

Good luck on the west coast. IT is beautiful there. PETE

MarinRider
03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
GVH Bike has Campy Centaur Kit at $1195 with Open Pro Wheels, HS, Stem, Post, Bar, and Seat.

Good Luck.

Grant McLean
03-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Let me suggest ULTEGRA for the cost benefit over CAMPY. (yeah I likie CAMPY alot also but for a budget the ULTEGRA does the same thing for less $$s). PETE

I'd take centaur compact over ultegra anytime.
But maybe that's just me.

-g

jwprolo
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
I did this recently, or a little less than a year ago. Here is what I got for around your price:

FSA Compact pro crank (180 excel closeout)
FSA ISIS BB ( 20 ebay)
DA 9spd 11-23 cassette and Rear Deraileur ($20- pulled off of some super bike that they guy couldn't pedal, so he put xt stuff for hills. Hang around bike shop. Make friends with owner)
DA 9spd shifters (50 used from teammate)
03 Chorus FD (20 bike shop)
KMC Chain (15 aebike)
CK Hubs laced to Velocity AeroHead rims (550- my big ticket item. but you could do way cheaper with campy/shimano hubs and still be great)
Thompson post and x2 stem (160 I think- bike shop)
FSA RD 200 bars (60 bike shop)
Centaur brakes (50 I forget- somewhere online)
SLK Saddle (90- bike shop)

If I calculated right, that brings you in under budget. Nothing really hard to replicate- except for the basically free DA stuff. However, you should be able to do what you wish with a little looking. if you are set on campy, and need a complete build kit- gvhbikes can set you up with a centaur group for that much. Unfortunately, then you have to pay for the up-charges to get what you want in some cases.

Good luck.

kokies
03-22-2006, 07:12 PM
This is what I have done in the past, buy this bike, ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/56-cm-cc-Della-Santa-Campagnolo-Record-10_W0QQitemZ7227878043QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem) Assuming it doesn't sell for more than say $1600. Sell the frame and other bits you don't need. I bet you end up with the group and wheels for around $1000, some one else just broke in the parts for you.

Serotta PETE
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd take centaur compact over ultegra anytime.
But maybe that's just me.

-g

Both are good and you can not go wrong with either.

The campact centaur is great if you want a compact, if not the Ultegra inches ahead.

This is soughta like a hatfield/McCoy battle. Pick the one you like and have the $$S for and you will be fine.

PETE

djg
03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Rather than ship my bike from NYC, I have sold some guitar gear to fund a new (to me) frame/fork, components and wheels. I have the frame/fork, now I have $1300 to spend on components and wheels. Looking for suggestions on how to make it in budget.

Campy group, 172.5 cranks, 50/36 compact, 12-25 cassette. I do not need a seatpost, stem or headset.

Wheels - I have been riding Bontrager Race X Lite 20/24 spoke wheels. I am looking for something similar (ie, build quality and asymmetrical rear rim), but with either 24/28 or 28/32 spoke.

Suggestions appreciated.

How about Centaur 10 speed and a pair of neutrons? Total cycling wants about 575 for the Centaur group (without hubs) and about 600 for a set of neutrons. That leaves enough for shipping, duties, and, as you've already got some bits, dinner.

vaxn8r
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
How come everybody forgets things like seat, seatpost, bars, tape, stem, pedals, computer, cages, bottles. IMO a $600 wheelset is way out of the question on that budget.

Get a 105/Ultegra build kit and a pair of Protons or build up OP's and there you go. That will barely squeek by.

vaxn8r
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
GVH Bike has Campy Centaur Kit at $1195 with Open Pro Wheels, HS, Stem, Post, Bar, and Seat.

Good Luck.
Never mind.

scottcw2
03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Shimano is not an option. I realize the ongoing posts of how equal they are to Campy, I just do not like Shimano. I will only ever ride Campy (or SRAM if it's all it is reported to be).

Louis
03-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Scott,

We (neverraced et al.) were able to convince you on the "shipping the bike" idea, maybe if we work on you long enough we can turn you to the dark side (Shimano) !!!

Louis

CalfeeFly
03-22-2006, 09:09 PM
There is a recent thread on the UK Shops on line.

I took a glance. Campy Chorus without hubs at Total Cycling...$878.28 VAT free. That leaves you some money for wheels. Or you can work a variety of approaches. The one listed on that thread has free shipping right now. Everyone who used them was happy.

I'd go that route with parts as high in the US as they are now. They have a Chorus alloy crank listed as a special for $70 less than my dealer pays for it.

djg
03-23-2006, 08:40 AM
How come everybody forgets things like seat, seatpost, bars, tape, stem, pedals, computer, cages, bottles. IMO a $600 wheelset is way out of the question on that budget.

Get a 105/Ultegra build kit and a pair of Protons or build up OP's and there you go. That will barely squeek by.

I don't know that people forgot exactly--he did say, in his initial post, that he had some of these parts already (specificially, the post and stem, from your list, as well as the headset). He may well have cages lying around, and if he doesn't, he can pick some up pretty cheap. If he's a cyclist already, he has water bottles and doesn't need new ones to match the bike. He may very well have tires (don't most of us have extras lying in wait?). He may well be keeping pedals and saddle from a prior bike, although he doesn't say so. I think that you're right that protons are nice all-around wheels that are easily within the budget, but I saw the numbers and figured he could actually get everything else he needed, if he hunted a bit, depending on what else he thought he'd like (obviously, a 250 buck saddle would be a stretch).

flydhest
03-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Campy Centaur is very, very good. I have Centaur, Chorus, and Record on different bikes. If budget matters at all (and here it does) Centaur is a great idea.