PDA

View Full Version : All Road ID's on sale $15

firerescuefin
11-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Meant to post this a couple days ago as it was a 3 day sale. Only about 14 hours left. Great product. As an emergency responder, I'm a big fan.

http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx

callt5
11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Great info. Passing the info on to friends.

Thanks for the heads up.

rwsaunders
11-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the tip...good timing.

stephenmarklay
11-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I ordered one.

Since I am on a bike or on a motorcycle everyday it will be nice to have.

I did the shut up legs tag!

jmoore
11-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Alternate option for $7

http://www.dogtagcity.com/Military-Dog-Tags-s/20.htm

Mr. Pink
11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Get the engraved dogtag. The wrist band is printed, and fades after a while from sweat.

firerescuefin
11-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Get the engraved dogtag. The wrist band is printed, and fades after a while from sweat.

Unless I'm cutting off your shirt to conduct a trauma assessment or attach a 6 lead, I'm not looking for dog tags. Very few people wear dog tags. Medic alert bracelets by some folks, but fewer than in the past. Lots of cyclists wear road IDs. LE, EMS, and FD are looking for them on runners and bikers, and they happen to be where I'm checking your radial pulse (on the wrist version).

The bands are replaceable for $5.

Don't try to outthink the room on this one if you are trying to get that info into the hands of responders. That's my VERY STRONG personal opinion.

regularguy412
11-19-2014, 10:09 AM
On a related note: RoadID also has a free app for your smart phone that tracks your location (yes, I know other apps do this too) in real time for up to 5 recipients. It will also create a picture for the lock screen that can list emergency contact phone numbers without the Responder having to unlock the phone.

I like it.

Mike in AR:beer:

Mr. Pink
11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Unless I'm cutting off your shirt to conduct a trauma assessment or attach a 6 lead, I'm not looking for dog tags. Very few people wear dog tags. Medic alert bracelets by some folks, but fewer than in the past. Lots of cyclists wear road IDs. LE, EMS, and FD are looking for them on runners and bikers, and they happen to be where I'm checking your radial pulse (on the wrist version).

The bands are replaceable for $5.

Don't try to outthink the room on this one if you are trying to get that info into the hands of responders. That's my VERY STRONG personal opinion.

jeez. Road ID comes in a dog tag version. It's not hard to find, trust me, just look around the neck. Chances are the cyclist isn't wearing much to cover it most of the time. Or maybe, I could help. Try this. "Oh, no wrist band. Let's check for a dog tag." I mean, you're probably going to go search for the phone these days, right? So, is this so hard?

firerescuefin
11-19-2014, 10:41 AM
jeez. Road ID comes in a dog tag version. It's not hard to find, trust me, just look around the neck. Chances are the cyclist isn't wearing much to cover it most of the time. Or maybe, I could help. Try this. "Oh, no wrist band. Let's check for a dog tag." I mean, you're probably going to go search for the phone these days, right? So, is this so hard?

Do what you'd like (seriously)....and no, I don't search for the phone (that may not even be on your person after getting hit by a car...or in a bad accident). I'm busy saving your life. Two medics with a critical patient aren't looking for phones. They are treating, stabilizing, and transporting.

But hey, I've only been doing this since 96. Just my opinion.

Lewis Moon
11-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I have an engraved wrist (collar) tag from here: Boomerang Pet Tags (http://www.boomerangtags.com/)

Mr. Pink
11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I have an engraved wrist (collar) tag from here: Boomerang Pet Tags (http://www.boomerangtags.com/)

Recently found a lost dog with a collar on with a phone number stitched into it in large type. Nice and simple, and, it worked. Got him home in minutes.

syxxl
11-19-2014, 12:38 PM
thanks for sharing.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

druptight
11-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Do what you'd like (seriously)....and no, I don't search for the phone (that may not even be on your person after getting hit by a car...or in a bad accident). I'm busy saving your life. Two medics with a critical patient aren't looking for phones. They are treating, stabilizing, and transporting.

But hey, I've only been doing this since 96. Just my opinion.

Hey Fire - what do you suggest be on these as the person reading them? I'm considering moving soon and it doesn't seem all the pertinent so I was thinking of skipping my town/state/country line.

But all I can come up with otherwise is Full Name, and phone numbers of loved ones (2). that leaves a few blank lines - was going to put NKA for no known allergies. I could also put DOB I suppose. Any other info that useful to the first responders?

cdn_bacon
11-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for sharing.

myself and a friend have just purchased!

* note to firerescuefin

You should put your ID link up for everyone interested in purchase.

It's the least I could do for you as a thank you.

soulspinner
11-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up.................

firerescuefin
11-19-2014, 02:14 PM
This is what I have.

Name,
Town (not really necessary,but could be useful, and I don't have a lot of stuff to put)
3 contact phone numbers
Blood Type/Allergies/Organ Donor

What I'd put in there if it was relevant to me (Meds like blood thinners/nitro)
Relevant medical history (stuff like past CVA/Stroke...heart issues or surgeries...Diabetes)

I'm not against other forms of ID, but RoadID has really become so widely used that responders are used to seeing them and really look for them. If I want to get a message across, then I (personally) want to give it the best shot of being seen/acknowledged. Trauma scenes are chaotic....You get hit by a car and I'm much more focused on intubating (establishing an airway), making sure your breathing (or breathing for you) assessing your body for trauma, establishing an IV, treating for shock, etc. There is not time to look around for stuff...much.

nighthawk
11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Much appreciated.

I have been meaning to pick one up for myself and my gf, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Thanks for looking out.

LJohnny
11-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I got one last week and I knew I've forgotten something.... forgot to put my blood type on it.
So far I find it pretty non-intrusive and forget I am wearing it while cycling or running.

Does what it's supposed to do.

druptight
11-19-2014, 02:59 PM
I was reading somewhere on the web that putting your blood type on there doesn't really help a responder because they're not allowed to take the word of mouth (or by extension your bracelet) on what your blood type is without doing a test, as the penalty for transfusing the wrong blood type can be rather severe depending on various factors. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but it makes sense.

firerescuefin
11-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I was reading somewhere on the web that putting your blood type on there doesn't really help a responder because they're not allowed to take the word of mouth (or by extension your bracelet) on what your blood type is without doing a test, as the penalty for transfusing the wrong blood type can be rather severe depending on various factors. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but it makes sense.

Truth in that. You're getting IV's in the field and IV's/Plasma in the ER. Can't really speak beyond those settings.

Keith A
11-19-2014, 03:31 PM
So which style do you guys/gals like the best?

LJohnny
11-19-2014, 03:34 PM
I got the one with the metal clasp, however, I almost went with the smaller one because I actually thought the clasp would be uncomfortable. (It's not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale Alan
11-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Great idea and great price,thanks for sharing.

nighthawk
11-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Just bought mine... And at checkout made a donation to the National EMS Memorial Service. Thanks again, Geoff... For the PSA and the work you do.

Tony T
11-19-2014, 04:29 PM

I had the "shoe" tag, but recently moved to the new "slim" wrist version (still keep the shoe-tag on).
(I also have a dog-tag style that I keep on my key-chain for when I'm driving (I only use the wrist-tag when on the bike)

bjf
11-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Finally got one. Thanks for the tip!

oldpotatoe
11-19-2014, 05:01 PM

c'mon, do what the military does, tattoo all the pertinent next to your heart, just before they zap ya.

vqdriver
11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
just ordered one. i've been meaning to replace my original with the elite version but i kept putting it off. might as well save a few buck in the process. thanks for the heads up.

CNY rider
11-19-2014, 06:07 PM

This is true.
It is of no value to have your blood type on an ID bracelet.
That information will not be considered if you are in the position of needing a transfusion of blood products.

avalonracing
11-19-2014, 06:11 PM
On a related note: RoadID also has a free app for your smart phone that tracks your location (yes, I know other apps do this too) in real time for up to 5 recipients. It will also create a picture for the lock screen that can list emergency contact phone numbers without the Responder having to unlock the phone.

The iPhone also has a free Health App built in where if you authorize it someone can find your emergency contact and heath info from the lock screen.

linkedrecoverie
11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I've been meaning to get one for years. Done. Thanks for the thread, Paceliners!

Buzz Killington
11-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Always a good idea to carry identification. There was a local jogger who killed by an auto, and the only way they could figure out who the victim was was by the registration on the iPod.

Also, don't carry a snowboard loose inside your car. Heard of someone being partially "scalped" by one in a violent rollover.

mike p
11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Have used regular old dog tags for years. ·Available ·all over ebay for about five bucks with chain!

Name
Wife ph
Son ph
Daughter ph
Blood type
NKA
NKDA

efaust_o
11-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I've been wanting one..took the plunge..:)

Mister Donut
11-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks, good stuff.

Peter B
11-20-2014, 01:40 AM
This is what I have.

Name,
Town (not really necessary,but could be useful, and I don't have a lot of stuff to put)
3 contact phone numbers
Blood Type/Allergies/Organ Donor

What I'd put in there if it was relevant to me (Meds like blood thinners/nitro)
Relevant medical history (stuff like past CVA/Stroke...heart issues or surgeries...Diabetes)

<snip>

There is not time to look around for stuff...much.

Hey Fire,

I have a RoadID strapped through one of the velcro straps on my left shoe. Would you or a peer find it? Or is it time to move it?

firerescuefin
11-20-2014, 06:44 AM
Hey Fire,

I have a RoadID strapped through one of the velcro straps on my left shoe. Would you or a peer find it? Or is it time to move it?

Hey Peter,

I really believe the wrist is the best position if you want to wear one of these. If 9/10 see it on your wrist, and 5-7/10 see it on your shoe...I'd vote wrist.

I can see how people think my stance is over the top, but I've run on thousands of medical calls (85-90% pretty lame). Bad trauma calls are chaotic and are potentially overwhelming to sight and senses of the responder. There is so much going on, you have to actively fight becoming tunnel visioned when providing care, because your patient can be so jacked up. You're just bailing water (figuratively) to get them to a trauma center or waiting for life flight to arrive. You (the patient) may get the crew with (2) 15 year paramedics. You may get 2 wet behind the ears EMTs....and anywhere in between. I think the wrist Road ID is the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) of these IDs. As I've mentioned previously in the thread, Responders are accustomed/expecting to seeing them on cyclists and triathletes/runners.

SlackMan
11-20-2014, 01:01 PM
More Road ID sale starting today: 50% off of a second item purchase.

Mods, if it's not inappropriate, clicking on this link earns me a credit with Road ID:

http://roadid.com/invite/4FQ2B

If it is inappropriate, please delete and forgive me!

Peter B
11-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Hey Peter,

I really believe the wrist is the best position if you want to wear one of these. If 9/10 see it on your wrist, and 5-7/10 see it on your shoe...I'd vote wrist.

I can see how people think my stance is over the top, but I've run on thousands of medical calls (85-90% pretty lame). Bad trauma calls are chaotic and are potentially overwhelming to sight and senses of the responder. There is so much going on, you have to actively fight becoming tunnel visioned when providing care, because your patient can be so jacked up. You're just bailing water (figuratively) to get them to a trauma center or waiting for life flight to arrive. You (the patient) may get the crew with (2) 15 year paramedics. You may get 2 wet behind the ears EMTs....and anywhere in between. I think the wrist Road ID is the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) of these IDs. As I've mentioned previously in the thread, Responders are accustomed/expecting to seeing them on cyclists and triathletes/runners.

Thanks Fire. Totally understand sensory inputs vs overload and the need to focus.

And thanks for what you do out there!